News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Realistically your next car....

Started by Des, 10 January 2008, 09:50 PM

johnnyw116

i really like to have a CL5.5 AMG not the newest model offcourse thats too expensive (in holland the newprice of mercedes are high)
i have a S500Lang now and offcourse my W116  .           
JohnnyW116

SELfor50

Today I popped a cap in MOFT's ass and took ownership of a 400SE.   :D :D  Loverly vehicle...    ;D

Andrew280SEL

;D

Yes, indeed Cam... ::) ;)

Congrats though, you must be having a blast with the thing. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

SELfor50

Not quite yet mate, still needs to be engineered and rego'd.  2months tops and this beast will be tearing up tarmac..   ;D ;)

WGB

It might not be exciting but on the 10th March a new ML320CDI is arriving for "She who must be obeyed".

I guess that will be driven a fair bit by me as well.

I am hoping that my next car for me will have 63 on the end of the tag - either a CLS63 second hand or an ML63 new.

I am really coming to love my my 164 - ML 500 (It was never my idea to buy it - but hers) and in Australia a new ML is taxed at a lower "Commercial" rate when new so the purchase price is tens of thousands less than the equivalent car while offering significant "bulk" as a means of impact protection which assumed great importance after my wife and I escaped alive and largely unhurt from the 944 crash in 2006.

Bill

SELfor50

Quote from: WGB on 30 January 2008, 07:39 PM
It might not be exciting but on the 10th March a new ML320CDI is arriving for "She who must be obeyed".

I guess that will be driven a fair bit by me as well.

I am hoping that my next car for me will have 63 on the end of the tag - either a CLS63 second hand or an ML63 new.

I am really coming to love my my 164 - ML 500 (It was never my idea to buy it - but hers) and in Australia a new ML is taxed at a lower "Commercial" rate when new so the purchase price is tens of thousands less than the equivalent car while offering significant "bulk" as a means of impact protection which assumed great importance after my wife and I escaped alive and largely unhurt from the 944 crash in 2006.

Bill

I drove past an ML63 AMG on the way to Sydney yesterday..  I was talking it up to a mate after seeing it and his response was: "It's a soccer mom's car"... blah blah.
He's a holden fan, my answer was - does Holden even make a 4wd?  Let alone a 6.3L monster!!

The ML63's look f*kn great dude, gotta get one!!

WGB

I put my ML 500 on the road for about $140,000 - with just about every extra that was useful and my real desire was a CLS 500 which similarly specced up was nearly $190,000.

The same price gap occurs with the ML63 and CLS63 but obviously further up the scale and really the new ML particularly with air suspension is a pretty fabulous drive - criticism like "Soccer Mums" transport just goes right over my head and is usually started by people who are quick to make an opinion but not so quick to spend any real money.

At the end of the day I have to provide transport for a family, myself included, who cover collectively about 60,000 Km per annum and, as my motors are my chief hobby and enjoyment, in a certain style and with a certain level of security, reliability and enjoyment withouit the Bailiff appearing at the front door.

My ML500 has been totally reliable and from one who is a "car nut" not a "truck nut" I have been very surprised at how well it provides rapid car-like transport .

Bill

116Benz

The sales pitch for the 1st gen. ML was "it's a bargain E320" It also was the cause of not having any E Class 4matic models. It certainly had the hallmarks of the E, handled well, wasnt to bad on fuel, and didnt feel bulky when you were driving it.

WGB

I have owned both a 163 and a 164.

My wife loved her 163 but you cannot compare them - there is nothing about them in common except 4WD, size and shape.

Bill

116Benz

Quote from: WGB on 31 January 2008, 12:34 AM
I have owned both a 163 and a 164.

My wife loved her 163 but you cannot compare them - there is nothing about them in common except 4WD, size and shape.

Bill

I agree. The new one is light years ahead, mind you, not a bad legacy to leave behind. The 1st gen ML's are a bargain.

Brian Crump

And yet wild horses would never get me to trade my 163 on a 164. I am so used to the 'Camel effect' of the 163 that I can't be without it. Maybe there is a Lawrence of Arabia syndrome somewhere in there? ;D
Regards,
BC

WGB

Quote from: BC on 31 January 2008, 01:05 AM
And yet wild horses would never get me to trade my 163 on a 164. I am so used to the 'Camel effect' of the 163 that I can't be without it. Maybe there is a Lawrence of Arabia syndrome somewhere in there? ;D
Regards,
BC

She was the same but a few little maintenance quibbles, rising mileage and reducing confidence levels and voila a new 164 is born.

Both of us being well versed in the 163 270CDI we will see how a 164 320CDI compares both with first impressions as well as in service for the 4 or 5 years we tend to keep them.

My biggest problem with the 164 is the Euro mandated Pedestrian-friendly front end when you live in Roo country. At leasoi I knew the 163 could survive a significant hit or three.

Bill