News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Perths first fixed speed camera, installed today

Started by Big_Richard, 17 June 2009, 04:49 AM

Big_Richard

As the revenue rushes in, expect to see more.

Its an adelaide style combination speed / red light camera, installed today at the riverside drive intersection next to the useless ferris wheel and bell end tower.

Watch out ;)

WGB

Scary.

I'm on the road a lot and my licence is totally critical to me.

Kinda takes the fun out of life yet again.

Bill

TJ 450

At least fixed cameras are indeed fixed... they should have installed it at Mirrabooka Ave/Reid Hwy, the revenue would've been astronomical. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: WGB on 17 June 2009, 06:30 AM
Scary.

I'm on the road a lot and my licence is totally critical to me.

Kinda takes the fun out of life yet again.

Bill

"the message is simple, just don't speed" ;)

Big_Richard

My research on this kind of device thats been install has revealed that they can be configured in 2 ways.

permanent fixed speed camera, plus redlight camera.

OR

deactivated speed camera, only in operation when redlight is run, so the red light runner gets fined for running the red light, and additionaly, for speeding if going over the speed limmit while going thru the light.

No idea yet as to which way perth will adopt.

TJ 450

I like the sound of configuration no 2... it gets straight to the point without being (seemingly) unreasonable revenue raising. Mind you, the penalty for running an amber light is practically the same as for a red light anyway... I found out the hard way. I was and remains the only occasion I have ever been booked by the Police, seriously... touch wood. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Quote from: TJ 450 on 17 June 2009, 09:47 PM
.....the penalty for running an amber light....

Unbelievable.  Here we only get fined for jumping red lights, and I *think* the way it works is the camera takes a picture if you are still in the intersection more than 2 seconds after the amber to red change.  In other words, you have to jump the light pretty blatantly to get caught.  The fine is quite stiff by South African standards - ZAR500 or about A$85. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

I was and remains the only occasion I have ever been booked by the Police, seriously... touch wood. 8)

Tim

Stop touching yourself T.Woods, you'll never get a girlfriend that way...  ::)

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 18 June 2009, 02:03 AM
.....the penalty for running an amber light....

Unbelievable.  Here we only get fined for jumping red lights, and I *think* the way it works is the camera takes a picture if you are still in the intersection more than 2 seconds after the amber to red change.  In other words, you have to jump the light pretty blatantly to get caught.  The fine is quite stiff by South African standards - ZAR500 or about A$85. 

The old school red light cameras we have here are film cameras in big yellow boxes mounted high up facing the rear side of the traffic lanes its monitoring. Theres an induction coil 2 or 3 feet from the stop white line, if this is breached a shot is taken, then a second one is taken a fraction of a second later to see if the car continued through the intersection.

to be a nuisance, you can go drag a peice of angle iron over the coils while on red, to waste the film in the cameras. A popular past time is to have someone showing the camera their ass, to give the operators a nice surprise, when they periodically come around to swap over and develop the exposed film reals.

koan

We in Vic have red light cameras and both fixed and mobile speed cameras. It's the same two seconds after the red for the red light cameras as well, if that gets triggered you are really pushing your luck.

The mobile cameras are mounted in all kinds of cars so you can never tell if the car parked up ahead is one. Not sure but I think they work for both receding and approaching (on the other side) traffic.

And they are faultless of course, the government defends them to the hilt or at least did until someone was snapped doing 180km or something in a Datsun 120Y.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

Our mobile speed camera division is operated by a sub contracted private organisation.

the cameras are all black and are put on the side of the road, There is always a white Nissan X trail parked not far from them with the cables running to it, and the general state revenue collector sitting there reading a magazine for the duration.

when these revenue raising devices were first released they used to be mounted inside the rear of customised Mitsubishi L300 vans, the customisation was a huge rear window so they stood out like dogs balls.

There is no substitute for a visual police presence on the road, and these tax collecting devices do little to change driver behaviour. Patrol cars on the road has dropped off massively since their introduction. I can go days without seeing a single police car, and i spend all day every day on the road.

koan

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 18 June 2009, 06:11 PM
There is no substitute for a visual police presence on the road, and these tax collecting devices do little to change driver behaviour.
A few fake police cars parked around would do wonders. Even an inflatable dummy police car on a country road with a flashing blue light would fool people at a distance.
Patrol cars on the road has dropped off massively since their introduction.
More important administration matters to deal with (or people to Taser).

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!