News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Other forums

Started by Martin 280s, 09 January 2008, 05:27 PM

Martin 280s

There is now way I'll ever leave this forum for another! Since buying Lady Augusta I have joined two W124 forums. Well, they are about as lively as a graveyard in a ghost town!

13B

This does not surprise me.  When I was a member of the MBCCV I distictly noticed a divide in interest in, for want of a better word, "liveliness" between the members, seemed to centre around the early 1980s models.

Cars prior to that were owned by people enthusiastic about all technical and hands-on aspects of the cars, whereas those with later models were more interested in social aspects and had little interest in the cars, other than as a gateway to interact with other people.

In short I'm sure the W124 is a nice car and all but it just doesn't stir the imagination like the finnys do for finny enthusiasts, the 108s do for 108 enthusiasts and 116s do for us.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

116Benz

Well, comparison between the 2 Mazda forums I'm on and this forum, theres some big similarites between here and them. Theres the tech people, the historians, the racers and the jokers. Compare this to the other Benz forums I'm involved in, no comparison, this one eats them alive for activity.

13B

Curious you should mention Mazda forums... AusRotary.com is one of the most busy car forums I've ever seen.  Hundreds of new messages appear each day, and over 9000 members and over 137,000 topics.  Its pretty huge considering the number of RE vehicles produced and still in existence.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

I have been on an MX-5 forum and a Porsche forum that were similar to this but there is a pleasant mix of technical and other as well as a short time period between question and response.

The M-100 forum has some very heavyweight technocrats who know the minute detail of every last internal spring but it can be a long drink between postings and warmth and humanity is not a big part of the event most of the time.

Bill

116Benz

Quote from: 13B on 09 January 2008, 06:25 PM
Curious you should mention Mazda forums... AusRotary.com is one of the most busy car forums I've ever seen.  Hundreds of new messages appear each day, and over 9000 members and over 137,000 topics.  Its pretty huge considering the number of RE vehicles produced and still in existence.

When I was toying with the idea of either a series VI FD or an RX-8 I had a squiz at that site, it's a credit to everyone involved.

Martin 280s

Quote from: 13B on 09 January 2008, 05:47 PM

This does not surprise me.  When I was a member of the MBCCV I distictly noticed a divide in interest in, for want of a better word, "liveliness" between the members, seemed to centre around the early 1980s models.

Cars prior to that were owned by people enthusiastic about all technical and hands-on aspects of the cars, whereas those with later models were more interested in social aspects and had little interest in the cars, other than as a gateway to interact with other people.

In short I'm sure the W124 is a nice car and all but it just doesn't stir the imagination like the finnys do for finny enthusiasts, the 108s do for 108 enthusiasts and 116s do for us.

I.

You're right, the w124 is a great motorcar but not pulse racing or 'look at me, I'm a classic'. I think I'll have to find things out on my own as I did when I first got my Lady Genevieve.

CraigS

I put a lengthy reply in here, but the server gave me a message about a bad command when I tried to post it so I'm going to pack up my bag and go !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

CraigS

I will try again. What I wanted to say was that I think the new(er) members may feel a little intimidated by the technical knowledge displayed by the more active members (I don't include myself) and feel that they don't have much to contribute. On the contrary, I believe they will learn from the "wiser" members and will hopefully be encouraged to attempt their own servicing, and repairs, and relay their experiences back to the forum. There are also a number of other categories within the forum that are not of a technical nature and these may be a starting point. I put it much more eloquently the first time around, but that is the essence of what I wanted to say.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

oscar

Quote from: CraigS on 10 January 2008, 02:24 PM
I put a lengthy reply in here, but the server gave me a message about a bad command when I tried to post it so I'm going to pack up my bag and go !

Craig, I hate when that happens.  A particular computer likes to shut down IE without warning and whooosh, there goes all my typing. >:(

But, with what you were saying in reply take II, I very much agree. 

I think it's great too that one doesn't have to be logged on to view, read, download etc.  The sites that require logging in to view pics or read posts just create false stats as to how many members they have.  They're still going to have lots of users, now members, not contributing, just looking at info or pictures etc. 

Come on in browse, learn, laugh and if you want to contribute do so, if you don't, fine.  I say this without trying to discourage anyone, but IMHO, (a very unrealistic scenario BTW), but the place would become cluttered and hard to follow if everyone threw in a few posts a day.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

116Benz

Quote from: styria on 10 January 2008, 03:33 PM
That's the precise reason why I quoted 'broadly speaking' in brackets. Unfortunately, the 500E was only ever produced in left hand drive form, and I I very much doubt if there are many in this country. Therefore, no cars and very little talk that could be directed at them from locals. Regards, Styria

Thats one of my "lusting" toys Styria, beauty of the 500E, it has the M117 engine in it (same as the R129/W140 engines, albeit injection systems were altered between early 129's and 140's). And it was based on the W124 (changes to the transmission tunnel, front suspension, brakes and 4 body panels) was a brilliant machine. Pitty, we never officially got them here.

SELfor50

--== TO ALL THE NEWER MEMBERS ==--

Guide to Acceptance

1.  Find a 116 that wants to open it's throttle wide.  (Sounds slightly sexual)
2.  Purchase it.
3.  Strip down components that aren't required.
4.  Buy a Helmet, Fire Ext, Metallica Tape / CD.
5.  Take the ol' girl to the track, and show her a good time!

You will then be part of Team 116 Motorsport.   8)

To the existing members, keep providing that solid foundation of technical support required to fix Team 116's car's pre / post events.  :D

13B

QuoteIn short I'm sure the W124 is a nice car and all but it just doesn't stir the imagination like the finnys do for finny enthusiasts, the 108s do for 108 enthusiasts and 116s do for us.

I.

You're right, the w124 is a great motorcar but not pulse racing or 'look at me, I'm a classic'.

Didn't Sev drive a W124 and not even own a 116?  Speaks volumes that people take an interest in the car and site without even owning or intending to own one.  I think a few of our more silent members might be of the "if only I had one" set who are just keen to read what we are doing with our cars without having to buy one.  There's not really anything wrong with that.

116Benz

Nah, he had a 190E (W201), he was always on about how they were this and how good they were that. Oddly enough, we had 3 in the family, 2 x 4 cyl and 1x 2.6. the 4 banger's were terribly slow, the back was cramped, and they 1st of the vaccum treated vinyl door cards, they used to blister up and shrink. Typically Mercedes safe though, the 2.6 was on another planet altogether.

Andreas

Well it is a great site. I am glad that this site is so active. There is always something new here. I dont post much as I am a little low on the knowledge but  I am learning what to do with my cars.  However i do read what is going on and appreciate the great help I have recieved from members when i have asked for help.
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race