News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

OT, BMW E21 320i, anybody ever owned one?

Started by davestlouis, 25 May 2006, 08:18 PM

davestlouis

Well, the 320i was rusty enough in the rear strut towers that I stripped everything I thought I could ever want off an E21, and called a company that hauls off derelict cars for free.  As a consolation prize I bought a 1984 BMW 528e (E28), balticblau metallic, blue vinyl, 5 speed, 178xxx miles, every record since the car was new, including the window sticker.  I was struck by how cheap this car was new, MSRP was $25500, while the MSRP on my 86 420SEL was roughly $55xxx.  Having said that, it doesn't have the bank-vault solidity that a W116 or W126 has. 

Nutz

Congratulations on your E28 purchase  8)

Couple of to do's I would suggest;

1. Remove the cover that is on the backside of the timing belt cover and inspect the timing belt for wear.

2. If you're not sure when the last valve lash adjustment was,go ahead and adjust.Very easy job especially since you have a manual transmission (put the shifter in 4th gear and push the car forward and backwards to spin engine)

That being the first year for Motronic,you will find it tempermental on occasion.Things that go out are the airflow meters and temperature sensors causing all kinds of driveability problems.

The 5 series are surprisingly tough, little cars but are rust magnets most of the time.Can't say I'm surprised to hear that there was rust on those rear shock towers on that e21,quite common  :-\

davestlouis

Thanks Nutz...I brought it home tonight and will play with it over the weekend.

davestlouis

I was picking through the receipts, the timing belt was done 21xxx miles ago,  the most recent valve adjustment was 10xxx miles ago.  The car was sold new at Saddleback BMW in Mission Viejo CA, the only option was an on-board computer for $595.  The MSRP was $25520.00.  The paint on the roof and decklid look bad, the hood has been painted at some point, I assume there was some sort of collision damage in the past.  The only rust I can find is just a dot of it along the weld between the quarter panels and rear lower valance under the rear bumper, on both sides.

OzBenzHead

Quote from: davestlouis on 04 July 2006, 08:33 AM...their taste runs to Cadillac Escalades with 22 inch wheels. 

That is "taste"?  I did an image search for Cadillac Escalade, and found some of the ugliest yank tanks since the Edsel!  I thought Cadillac was supposed to be a luxury car?  That Escalade is nothing but a grossly overdecorated mini-truck.  Send the stylist to the guillotine immediately!

As for little black-on-black Bavarian Money Wasters' being the vehicles of choice for Parisian drug dealers ...  Well, at least they show some style, class, taste.   8)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

davestlouis

The 2007 'Slade starts at $59500, goes to nearly $80,000.  They are flying off dealer lots as fast as they come in.  GM got in the bling-bling business too, with standard 20 inch wheels from the factory on some, multiple TV's and DVD systems, seats in the front and middle row that blow cold or warm air up your behind.  My issue with them is that they are basically a Chevy Suburban in a tuxedo, and the cost difference is staggering: a base Suburban with cloth seats can probably be had for $35000.  The 14 MPG fuel economy doesn't seem to scare anyone off either.  A  long wheelbase one with 20 inch wheels must weigh 6000 LB's and has to be close to 20 feet long.  They are great on the highway but a bear to drive in town, and good luck getting in or out of a tight parking space. 

davestlouis

I also work with a guy whose daily driver is a Dodge Ram 3500 dual cab long bed dually truck, 5.9 L Cummins Turbo diesel, 4WD, weighs 9800 LB's.  This tank must be the most impractical commuter car for a single guy I have ever seen in my life.  Let's not lose sight of the fact that in the US we are accustomed to large vehicles, the gaudier the better.  People bitch about $3/gallon gas, but they keep buying huge SUV's and trucks...

OzBenzHead

Quote from: davestlouis on 12 July 2006, 10:13 PM... but they keep buying huge SUV's and trucks...

But what are they compensating for?   ;)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

davestlouis

The dealership where I work also sells Porsches...those guys are the ones who are compensating for something...

Nutz

Quote from: davestlouis on 13 July 2006, 06:12 PM
The dealership where I work also sells Porsches...those guys are the ones who are compensating for something...

I used to own a 928 so that model must be the exception to that belief  ;)  ;D

OzBenzHead

Must be about time for that old one about the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?    ::)

davestlouis

When I see a PCA sticker in the window I just cringe...these guys have been known to count the number of welds on the underside of a replaced frame rail to be sure the number is the same as that on the factory part on the opposite side.  I also had one who did almost $50,000 damage to the car, and came to visit it twice a week while we put a whole front tub on it.  You should have seen the look on his face when he came in and the interior was gutted...priceless.  

Pete Rose, the Cincinnati Reds baseball player, was a neighbor of mine in the mid 70's.  He drove the first Porsche 930 I had ever seen, brown with that wild brown and white checked cloth interior.  That was neat, but then the guy across the street from him bought a 1978? 928, champagne with brown leather.  I used to mow that guy's lawn, and the instrument cluster that moved with the tilt wheel blew me away.  I was a car-crazy kid and couldn't keep my eyes off that 928.  Older 928's are super cheap now, rough ones selling for less than $1000, but even the dealer is afriad of them...chasing electrical gremlins is not for the faint of heart.  

davestlouis

I added to the fleet today...I had gotten a wild hair and looked at several late-80's SAAB's...couldn't find one that was in good shape, in a color combination I could live with, so I was perusing the newspaper.  There was a 1988 BMW 735iL sedan for $2000...ice blue, blue leather, rear sunshade, 135xxx miles, garaged most of its life, got booted to a spot under a tree 6 months ago, so it's covered with leaf debris and tree sap, but it should clean up nicely.  There is a front suspension issue, it has a nasty shimmy over 55 MPH, so I threw a $1250 offer, which was accepted.  I even told my wife about it, which led to a trip to the aquatic pet store, where she bought $100 worth of fish for her new aquarium.  Anyway, I'll pick up Monday evening and start playing with it...