News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

OT advice please on aftermarket parts for GM products

Started by s class, 11 October 2017, 05:57 AM

s class

Hi All,

Trying something different, I've bought a 2000 Opel Corsa 130i for my girlfriend's mom.  These cars were sold as Vauxhall Corsa in the UK market, and in many other places too.  It is the so-called "B" series version.  It seems to be very well made with quality parts, much of which seems to come from the international GM parts-bin.  For example, the power steering pump assembly seems to be shared with many US market GM products from the era.

I'm doing a bit of catch-up and preventative maintenance on it.  I need the car to be sorted and reliable for 3-5 years. 

GM is busy pulling out of South Africa, so there is absoutely no OEM parts support.  I am not familiar with the aftermarket alternatives for GM products.  Can anyone advise brands that can be recommended, or those that are best avoided. 

I would rather pay a bit more for quality stuff and have a good service life from it.

Thanks. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

ptashek

Ryan, I have a good connection in Opel Europe high up the chain, I'll ask about classic parts availablity and options you might have in ZA.

BTW, Opel is now part of the Peugeot-Citroen group, and GM is gone (finally!), so no wonder they're not playing ball.

Generally anything made by TRW, Valeo,  NGK, Hella and Bosch you're good to use. Those guys are OEMs.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE