News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Not that I want one, any g class experts out there?

Started by gf, 06 January 2017, 07:03 AM

gf

0-100 performance aside anyone know how the original g classes compare to the latest? They've been making these for nearly 40 years now

Jed

While I am no expert, nor can I speak of the early G classes I do have a 2004 G500 and just took delivery of a 2017 G550...

First and foremost I absolutely love the feeling of comfort and security driving these cars.  I have 150k miles on the 04 and until the transfer case started acting up last month (won't stay in High gear) it drove like a tank (in a good way).  Solid and secure! Even in the worst of Michigan's winter snows storms I have always been comfortable driving my old G. Plenty of power. Very comfortable on 3-4 hr rides which I do all the time. Not luxurious but better than most any domestic (US) vehicle of its vintage but somewhat spartan by Mercedes standards. It has had many small mechanical issues mostly involving window regulators, door handles, a couple minor oil leaks,  and such.  Really nothing major at all until now. I hope to be able to get the transfer case issue sorted and get her back on the road.

As far as the 2017, I really should not offer any opinion yet as I have driven it a total of 67 miles so far....
I will say that the exterior is virtually unchanged.  The wheels are now 19 inch (from 18), it comes with a brush guard as standard, a few LED lights replace the old style bulbs. Virtually unchanged and in my opinion it should not be! I love the iconic late 70's style and I am dreading what will happen in 2 years when the truly NEW G wagon comes out. The looks of this car are either love it or hate it and that is perfectly Ok with me.

The interior is very very different, and yet the same.  The seating layout is identical. Still has heated seats front and rear but now adds cooled seats to the front.   The dash and instruments are very different. My initial impression is that they are much more cluttered....lots of buttons, lots of lights...a little distracting.  Up to date media interface and GPS, though the GPS looks like someone glued an iPad to the top of the dashboard....
The heated steering is now gone as standard equipment which burns me.

The ride so far is much much more refined. Very smooth, sometimes cushy (when in comfort mode)The steering is significantly more effortless. The brakes are more crisp.  Haven't had a chance to use the Distronic (cruise control) yet. My initial impression is that I miss the more raw and real road feel of the old G. Even in Sport mode the suspension in the new G is a bit too filtered.

Again, too early to come to any conclusions but I am sure I will have more to say after a few hundred miles....

1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

nathan

Heh GF,
We have had our G since 1985, when dad bought it two years old.  There is no comparison of on road manners of the w460 (our old one) and the w463 (new one).  Firstly, i can say the G is the best stock mass produced 4wd out there.  People come up with all sorts of rubbish in the british media about range rovers as the best 4wd.  yes land cruisers are good and so on, but the G cant be beaten.  even before my engine transplant, our old m110 280ge would go up hills 4wds 25 years younger got stuck on. the only weakness of old Gs is sand, they are too heavy and underpowered (ie 300gd was 65kw!).  on road the 460 is now archaic and although i only drive it every month or two, i wouldnt let a small framed lady drive it or someone without common sense.  you will not hit 140kmh in it, and you need to maintain safe distance and so on. it is very old and not the sort of vehicle a hipster should pick up to look cool, as you will end up smashing into something.  i got a bit tired of the lethargic performance of our m110 and stuck in an m117 v8 which turned the car into an acceptable daily driver in modern traffic again, fuel consumption be damned.  it is also now quite crazy off road and has solved my sand problems due to lack of power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNKMQfTCvnc&t=32s

the new w463 is light years ahead and much more civilised on road. in saying this, the G is not in the same league as a GL, an ML, or other luxury 4wds on road.  you have to want a G.  they are quite firm, with heavy steering around town. they pick up quickly though and performance is not an issue any more. 
I will likely get a G350 diesel at some time, i dont understand why i would want a 55 or 63 which is lowered and defeats the purpose of a G.  the 500s like Jed has, would be very nice too.  before i bought my e63 i was set on a 350 diesel and tested some around the country (they are quite rare here). ultimately one with low kms was too hard to find here in australia and i ended up quite happy with my E.  i will still aim to have one in the future.  keep in mind the 350 diesels from about 2011-2013 had some oil slugging problem and if you get one, make sure they did the oil sump change early in its life, in australia there were several warranty engine replacements after they died due to this problem!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

gf

Thanks for the detailed replies guys! If I was into 4 wheel driving I'd definitely consider one in the future. Unfortunately I have tried it several times and even though was blown away by what my friends 80 series land cruiser could do I never really caught the bug. experiencing off road is so different to seeing it!!!! Always fascinating how some of those workhorse types stay in production for so long, they command respect.Nathan  I think you're right that the g63 kind of makes you scratch your head.
Always good to see g wagen fans take their vehicles deep into the mud!!!! Actually any 4wd because that's what they're for. :)