News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

New Website - AMG Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.8 Rote Sau

Started by Grant V, 08 January 2020, 04:42 AM

Grant V

Gentlemen,

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

Over the past few years I have been collecting pictures of 'Die Rote Sau' and piecing together its racing history from all the fragmented information found on the internet.
This has now been consolidated into a new website covering the racing history of this car along with its background, Daimler-Benz' failed attempt to race the Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 in Touring Car Racing and my current project.

Please visit www.rotesau.co.za and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed putting it together. Any further information about the car is welcome, so contact me directly via the site or post a comment in the Guestbook.

"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

daantjie

Nice work!

I followed our posts on M100 before they changed the site and it went to pot over there ::)

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Jed

Thanks for sharing!

The photo journal documentation of the build is amazing!

1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

nathan

nice to hear from you Grant, good on you for the site.
been a long time, and hope you are well
regards
Nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Grant V

I'm very well, thank you Nathan.

As you can see, I've been distracted from things W116, but the 6.9 is slowly finding its way to the top of the list to be restored. Problem is I keep getting distracted by buying cars - it's all a bit mental actually. One day when I'm grown up I'll only have one classic car to toy with. That's what I keep telling myself....

Since being active here, a whole lot of other marques have found their way into the garage as well: Audi RS2 Avant, Citroen SM, Citroen DS21 Decapotable, Volvo 850R Station Wagon and an E23 BMW 745i, the South African version with the M88 M-Power motor.

And you Ozzies will be particularly proud of my 1973 Ford Rachero Bakkie, or Ford Falcon XA Ute as you would call it:

More recently another Australian made its way into the garage, a 2010 Chevrolet Lumina SS Ute, Or Holden SS VE Ute your side. It's a brilliant machine:

"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

MARSBENZ

Great work on the red pig site.......don't try to fight the car accumulation virus i've had it for 49 years (since 18) and the only way to satisfy the urge is to buy!buy!buy!
as they say......don't die wondering what if !!!!
1978 450sel 6.9 #4986
1968 300sel 6.3
1984 380sl
1959 220s
1984 230te
misc new classics

Grant V

Hope you chaps are all well.

I have changed the website slightly to list the project chronologically and have updated progress so far in 2020. Doesn't seem like a lot has been done, but it takes loads of time.

www.rotesau.co.za

Randys01

daantjie

Impressive indeed, wow I hesitate to ask the budget for this little caper ::)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Grant V

Morning chaps,

I've updated my website with new period pics of Spa, as well as all this years progress....in one little  column.

https://www.rotesau.co.za/2020

Randys01

A masterful tribute by any measure.  Can I add a ride to my bucket list?!!!

Grant V

Morning chaps,

It's ALIVE! I've updated my website with the work done so far this year, as well as bringing the car to life

https://www.rotesau.co.za/2021

Grant V

Took the Rote Sau out for it's first real spin around the block:

https://youtu.be/BAElj1Icahw

revilla

Awesome progress!
The sound of the engine is real music to the ears.
And all that accomplished with your own hands, the merit is there. Done in your own garage and with help from friends; just outstanding!!! Well done.

floyd111

I am late to the party, thinking you're just documenting rote sau historic facts.
Little did I expect you are actually BUILDING one!
Epic! What a job!
Nice to see i am not the biggest lunatic out there.. 8)