News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

New toy in my workshop........

Started by s class, 01 June 2009, 06:26 AM

s class

...... assembling the W124 prop.  I should have got one of these a long time ago. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

nice, is that pnumatic, hydraulic, or both ?

s class

Its a hydraulic press, but it has a pneumatic actuator - you plumb it up to the air supply, and then you have variable speed control from a hand-held trigger - really nice and controlled.  You feel a bit like Arnie holding that trigger, and just squeezing it a little harder and seeing the action take place. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

sounds like you could have some fun with that machine ;)

Hemersam

Being an absolute novice with these machines, I don't even know what this one is for, but I can see some possibilities for the American CIA.  ;D
Hemersam
Wait, I think I just heard my phone ring---hope it's not the CIA.   :-X

s class

Actually in use, its a bit of an anticlimax - there's no drama or anything.  It presses anything without making a sound or breaking a sweat.  The 20 ton model is a bit of overkill I think, but it sure is nice. 

Big_Richard

The first thing i tested my press with, was crushing an aluminium can, it made the whole thing paper thin - that machine of yours could make recycling an exciting hobby ;)

SELfor50

That's some cool ish, so what exactly you going to be using it to press?

More to the point though, do you buy Peter Stuyvesant in boxes that big???!!  How much do you smoke man?!
Stuyvies are expensive as here, I'll throw you some coin to send me some over.. ;)

...that box would be like a weeks supply for me.  :o

s class

SELfor50, in the photo I'm using it to press the centering bushing into the end of that prop.  In future, I'll use it for suspension bushes, etc.  Most suspension bush jobs can be done with threaded rod, sockets and packing etc, but I don't have the time to spend 1 hour on something a press can do in 1 minute. 

Sorry I don't smoke - that's just a box. 

a pack of styvies will be about ZAR25 - about A$4.  How does that compare?

CraigS

Quote from: s class on 02 June 2009, 01:55 AM

a pack of styvies will be about ZAR25 - about A$4.  How does that compare?

More expensive than here ! A box of 20 is about A$3.10
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Big_Richard

s class

$15 ? how does anyone afford to smoke?

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 02 June 2009, 04:15 AM

that's the object of taxing tobacco products so highly ;)

doesn't work entirely though, there are people that will still smoke even when its $50 a packet.

I was once a regular smoker, for no other reason than because I thoroughly enjoyed it and its a relaxing task. I gave it away instantly when my concern for my fingers and teeth discolouring outweighed the enjoyment (I'm a vane bastard), some people find it impossible to stop, I just don't get it, sure, i had a real bad temper for a while, but i always have had one, so it wasn't unusual ;)

SELfor50

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 02 June 2009, 04:46 AM
Quote from: s class on 02 June 2009, 04:15 AM

that's the object of taxing tobacco products so highly ;)

doesn't work entirely though, there are people that will still smoke even when its $50 a packet.

I was once a regular smoker, for no other reason than because I thoroughly enjoyed it and its a relaxing task. I gave it away instantly when my concern for my fingers and teeth discolouring outweighed the enjoyment (I'm a vane bastard), some people find it impossible to stop, I just don't get it, sure, i had a real bad temper for a while, but i always have had one, so it wasn't unusual ;)

Hahah.. so true PB, i'm the same... it's not hard if you've always had to manage a bad temper.  ;D

I did a round the world trip for 3 months last November, and Europe was great..   Smokes were priced how they should be, AND alcohol for that matter.  For some reason GST here actually pushed the price of both those items up, over seas everywhere it pushes it down...
Little Johnny....

Anyway, America was great.  NY was shyte, cause smokes were about $7-10 US a pack.. but once we got down near southern states, particularly Texas and out Nevada Desert way (we did a whirlwind roadtrip from NY to LA), smokes got down to $2.50 a pack at some places.

Back to the machine... so it takes a 1 hour human job, and turns it into a 1 min machine job..    You gonna take up recycling as a hobby too?  :D