News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

New cars all look the same???

Started by bahnstormer109, 09 April 2007, 06:46 AM

bahnstormer109

yes they do, but i hear people saying this all the time implying that this is some sort of recent occurrence and that all cars looked different from eachother 30 years ago.

the reason a 116 stands out in todays traffic is because it looks different to modern cars, yes, and modern cars all look the same, yes.

but cars have always looked the same, this is not a new concept. i doubt a 116 stood out as much in the traffic of the 1970's.

examples from australia: anyone noticed how much an early commodore especially an SL/E looks like a 123 or 116 especially from behind?
what about the flagrant late 70s/early 80s s-class imitator, the toyota crown?
anyone noticed how much the front of a WB holden caprice looks like a silver shadow?
the design of the rover P6 owed much to the citroen DS
the first toyota celica looks a lot like a fastback mustang
theres something very 600-ish about the russian Zil

american cars from most eras all look the same, at least to me, as do cars from the 1930's and before. though im pretty uneducated in these two areas (hence why they all look the same to me). 

anyone in the USA or UK or anywhere see any old cars that look like other old cars?
what do you think? am i just nuts? -you dont have to answer that.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Des

Paolo, I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree,

In the 1970's and 80's a Volvo looked like a Volvo from any angle, a Mercedes, VW, citroen, Kingwood, Falcon, mini, valiant, all looked unique and instantally definable from which ever way you looked at them.

These days its like......Is that a toyota or a Mercedes, Most Modern cars lack a soul, a few modern cars I like are the VW Golf GTI, The Smart Car ForTwo, The SLR Mcclaren, Zonda's

Cars need a soul, they need character, they need a heritage back personality. I love the Citroen C6, The French know how to built timeless cars.

Even the god awful Chrysler 300 cars, you can spot them horrible American cars a mile away.

Martin 280s

A few years ago I had a GM Omega with a 3lt engine and all the works. It was a dreamcar for me. However, once I got over the thrill factor of buying one it as just a soulless beast, no feel at all. My previous car had been so full of character and the MB's too.
My 'almost' daily driver is a W108, it oozes charm and stands out wherever I go, eventhough it's a bit tatty it's still more lavish than any new tinbox!

oscar

Quote from: bahnstormer109 on 09 April 2007, 06:46 AM

examples from australia: anyone noticed how much an early commodore especially an SL/E looks like a 123 or 116 especially from behind?

Yes to all your suggestions but I've never seen a Russian Zil
But I've always thought the rear of the 123 looks sooo much like a commodore SL/E.  Or rather the other way round.  I mistake these commodores for 123's all the time from the rear.

I also think Des has a valid point with certain marques look like they're own breed.  Especially some cars from the past are unmistakibly recogniseable.  Many Jags, RR's, Porche's to name a few.  But I'd have to say of late, the differences are becoming harder to distinguish in newer models - for me at least. 

Be it industrial espionage or just keeping up with the Jones's, sure, every decade seems to have a facet of design that is copied, replicated or borrowed and the look of what distinguishes a brand hopefully is made obvious but seeing the rear end of a row of newish sedans parked outside my work a few weeks ago, if it wasn't for the badges, I'd say they came out of the same factory.  They all had squarish boots and triangular rear lights.  One was a Holden Statesman, there was a Benz, a Mitsubishi Magna and I can't remember the other two.  Wish I had a camera at the time to demonstrate.
1973 350SE, my first & fave