News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

My Recent Purchase

Started by TJ 450, 25 July 2010, 10:12 AM

TJ 450

Yes, it's all food for thought anyway.

I don't know about off the shelf performance cams, but it would be worth investigating.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

Go lumpy!!! 8)
13b gave me this link some time ago.

http://dbilas-dynamic.de/dbilas_eng/index.htm
Go "products" on the left, then in the drop down menus as they appear, "Performance Camshaft and Accessories", "Performance Camshafts", "Mercedes".  325Euro for mild to wild 8) plus postage.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

Well, that is awesome... Thanks for the link Oscar. 8)

I think it's set in stone (metal) now! ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

$700 for a 4 cylinder camshaft ?

It'd want to give actual noticeable improvement for that money without making the car run like crap, otherwise its a total waste of money.

SELfor50

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 18 September 2010, 07:35 AM
$700 for a 4 cylinder camshaft ?

It'd want to give actual noticeable improvement for that money without making the car run like crap, otherwise its a total waste of money.

dbilas from what I've heard know their shyte.  Bang for buck for off the shelf, it's best option I reckon.  You're not gonna find anyone here that will do that.. and for a straight swap of cams / springs etc.. can't ask for much more for a benz engine.  Their profiles (wild ones) are more closer to the DTM tunes of the era.. obviously not quite as crazy, but I'd say they'd be the shiznitch.

If I had a 190, I'd go to them.

TJ 450

This thread is getting pretty long-winded, I know.

However, some progress has been made;

The original head was too far gone, so I ended up opting for another replacement from the same mob as the 450 heads. I tried Euro Car Parts (ASV), but their quotes were jumping all over the place and the only one they had in stock was for a 1.8.

They even installed the original cam and rockers for me. I'll be getting a new camshaft and rockers later, after the engine is up and running.

As for the block, the machining work is great, however they would not clean it for me. Seeing as it needs to be absolutely spotless, I am going to need to find someone who can do this for me and bag it. Have you any ideas Motec? ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

Very nice dude.

Where did you get the heads from??  Were they brand new or reco'd heads?
Any modification or stock?

As for the block, machining looks good.  Honing in the bore(s) is pretty sexy.

It's suprising they wouldn't clean it up as well?!  It's a shame seeing the water jackets with gunk in there and the rest is so nice.

You still going camshafts from Dbilas?

TJ 450

The head is a reco'd unit, but looking at it, it may as well be new. It's completely stock though. 8)

Regarding the block, I know, it's a real PITA but they told me they did not want to be held liable for failure after assembly if they cleaned it.

With the camshaft, I've deliberately left that to be treated as a separate exercise due to the expense involved, and I'll probably go lumpy. However, stock from Autohaus is exceedingly good value... there's lots of consideration ahead.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

Quote from: TJ 450 on 09 October 2010, 06:08 AM
The head is a reco'd unit, but looking at it, it may as well be new. It's completely stock though. 8)

Regarding the block, I know, it's a real PITA but they told me they did not want to be held liable for failure after assembly if they cleaned it.

With the camshaft, I've deliberately left that to be treated as a separate exercise due to the expense involved, and I'll probably go lumpy. However, stock from Autohaus is exceedingly good value... there's lots of consideration ahead.

Tim

That head has come up very well indeed.  They've done a great job.

Understand about liability, but even though it's nice machining... They're pussy's if they don't have confidence in their work like that.

Camshafts.. if it makes you feel any better.. I'm no longer going to Germany for Cams.. I've found some in another place - BUT, they'll cost me a bit over 1000euros.. not too bad with the exchange rate at this current time.. but still exxy.  However, they're M100, they get sent to me (I don't have to send a 2nd hand set over), they're hardened properly, and all given the treatment.
Extra lift, different duration, and designed to maybe assist a turbo to spool up quicker with pushing the flow etc...   ::)

I'm not sure if he is familiar with 201 cams, what's the engine model number?  M103?  But I can ask.

Cam.

TJ 450

I agree,

The engine is the M102, on which the M103 (6-cyl) is based.

Interestingly, the 2.3L M102 shares the same camshaft as this 2L version and it is universal, so there is no worries with using a USA camshaft either.

BTW, your M100 is going to be an absolute beast by the sound of things. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

Good stuff.  Bonus being able to adapt cams from a different bore of the same block.

Honestly, with the options Dbilas have, you might be ok to go there.  Only thing that made it hard for me was the fact that I had to send a set over there.. and they weren't going to change the lift only the duration.  New cams will sh!t all over the ones I was going to get.. I hope.
The 690SE will be done from ground up this time...more to come on that in coming weeks/months. ;)

You going to do any suspension work on the 190??  Some nice coilovers at all?

TJ 450

Indeed,

They do have a simple no-fuss package arrangement which is good, for sure.

From the ground up sounds very interesting to me, I await with eager anticipation. 8)

I haven't thought about the suspension just yet, but I do think some improvements will need to be made in the future.

Also, the next step here is to have the crank balanced for the weight of the new pistons and polished/measured.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500