News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

My new Project

Started by 500eguy, 19 September 2007, 04:21 AM

500eguy

500eguy

Ok guys, i actually am not getting any Spark.

Andrew280SEL

Ok...well that's sort of good news in a way... it means it's electrical and may just be a dodgy coil or something.

Maybe you could check if there's power at the coil, and whether giving any as well? As I said once before, my 280SEL did the same thing, only it was the coil lead itself which was stuffed. If you've got a spare it could be worth testing one out or something.

Also check the earth on the body near the battery (I assume this car is similar to the w116 in some ways) and see if it's properly connected. I saw a 450 with a bad earth there, and it caused problems. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

500eguy

Update:

-Changed Oil to Castrol 10W-40 and Mann Filter
- It is getting Fuel
-There is no spark at all. The wires, plugs, cap rotor are all new, except the coil.  I think this may be the culprit.

anything else it could be?

Andrew280SEL

I'd be hooking up another coil to see if that one really is the troublemaker, and it could well be by the sounds of it.

Possibly the ignition module (again, I'm assuming it has one like the w116). I know my dad's 450SE wouldn't start once when an ignition module died. But I don't know enough about them to guarantee anything.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

500eguy

Allright i have been working on the car all day, i am going to get a coil and see if that helps.

500eguy

well i did not get a coil yet, but i am really sure that is the problem. I am really not sure what else it could be. I will take a picture of the coil tomorrow, maybe you guys can shed some light because there are many different wires connected to it... one is not connected.. the pictures will explain it a lot better than i can. If it isn't a coil then i will be totally stumped:(

Sev

omfgbbq $200!!!

DUDE THAT'S A FUCKING STEAL BRAH!!!!! you could flip that bit for at least 4G's if it was in even somewhat decent shape

500eguy

ok guys, update on the SL. I looked at the oil today to notice it was soiled with fuel, this made the oil kind of watery. It was clean and not milky, just saturated with Fuel. This is probably why the car will not start and runs rich, right? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sev

Quote from: 500eguy on 18 November 2007, 11:39 PM
ok guys, update on the SL. I looked at the oil today to notice it was soiled with fuel, this made the oil kind of watery. It was clean and not milky, just saturated with Fuel. This is probably why the car will not start and runs rich, right? any help will be greatly appreciated.

on a w201, oil soiled with fuel means blown headgasket. haven't a clue what it means on a w117

does it smoke marijuana out the tailpipe when you turn it on, or does it not turn on (dude I'm not re-reading this while thread brah)

Sev

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 22 September 2007, 06:42 PM
due to it being such an early 380, i can pretty much guarantee it came from the factory with the single row timing chain. This has to be replaced at the highest level of priority if it still remains in there. It was upgraded to double row, including all sprockets due to its tendency to snap and completely distroy the engine.

if upgrading to double row (not possible on w201 2.3's, but cool that it's an option on m117's), you need a special tool to clamp the chain together. you can rent it from performance products for like $37

Brian Crump

Quoteon a w201, oil soiled with fuel means blown headgasket.
Interesting. Please explain?
Regards,
BC

Andrew280SEL

I thought a blown head gasket meant water would get in, not fuel.... ???
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Sev

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 19 November 2007, 12:00 AM
I thought a blown head gasket meant water would get in, not fuel.... ???

i meant oil in the coolant, not fuel in the coolant. my bad.

Andrew280SEL

Okay, so I wonder how fuel would have gotten into Johnny's oil then?

It sounds a little worrying. :(
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9