News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

MOT UK

Started by marku, 19 October 2017, 01:20 PM

marku

Just found out that the 450, already exempt from road tax, will from next year be exempt from a test certificate. Not sure that this is a good thing although it might save a bit but only surely at the expense of safety.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

rumb

Interesting cultural difference, whereas you rely on MOT for vehicle safely, and here in America the only thing cared about on cars is emissions. Doesnt matter how much rust, broken windshields, etc.  You will get tickets for broken lights and obvious visible smoking but that's about it.

If I may get a bit political, I think some has to do with the liberals thought process of not burdening poor folks with expenses. We're a country where the poor can break laws and the rich cant.

When I was just starting to drive we did have a yearly vehicle inspection where they did check brakes, suspension and the sort, but that disappeared long ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/21/state-lawmakers-weigh-abolishing-unnecessary-car-inspections.html

As usual our politicians talk out of both sides of their mouth,  the same argument for no safely inspection would equally apply to emissions testing.  New cars dont pollute like old ones did. In Colorado its well know the testing stations are all owned by Russian mafia and they keep all the money collected.  We have road side drive by test machines, but you are not entitled to any of the data they collect on your own car. If you have an older car that passes the roadside they still make you go in and pay for another test. Whole thing is scam. You likewise cannot get any group year end statistics out of them either to see what percent passed or failed.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

The flip side sucks too let me tell you.  Here in BC, there is no safety or emissions testing for passenger vehicles.  But good luck if you get into an accident.  Our forced government insurance body will try every trick in the book to deny your claim, and tries their utmost to scrap your car and give you "book value".  So they get you on the back end by getting folks who should not have been driving their shit boxes to begin with off the road.  Actually saving lives and making the road safer, that is crazy talk to these buffoons >:(  they just want to collect your (astronomical) premiums and shaft you when the time comes.  Because they treat everybody as a criminal (believe me we have plenty of them here) and deny valid claims, their legal costs have skyrocketed and are functionally bankrupt.  OK rant over ::)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 19 October 2017, 01:20 PM
Just found out that the 450, already exempt from road tax, will from next year be exempt from a test certificate. Not sure that this is a good thing although it might save a bit but only surely at the expense of safety.

That made me laugh a bit! The universe hates entropy :D

After recent changes to testing rules in Ireland, my 450SE will be due for a test next year, and next year only, after being exempt until now.
She'll turn forty in 2019, and the test is due every other year for cars in the 30 to 40 year age bracket.

The old rule was that any private car first registered before Jan 1, 1981 was exempt from testing, now it's a rolling 40 year rule.
I still need to pay road tax though, but at 56EUR/year it's a negligible cost in the overall budget of keeping a W116 on the road.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

adamb

I thought that the UK MOT inspection exemption only applied to cars manufactured before 1960. Has the law changed? I've not heard about it.

rumb

I went to our "clean air" website and found where you are supposed to be able to see you test history for the last 2 cycles.  I put 5 VIN's in and they displayed no data for any of them....

There was a phone # to call if you wanted all the data for your car, so I called and the fellow that answered kept asking me why I want the data. After I read the words on the website that said I could get the info if I called, he did email me the last 4 times data for my 300SE. 
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

Quote from: adamb on 20 October 2017, 08:37 AM
I thought that the UK MOT inspection exemption only applied to cars manufactured before 1960. Has the law changed? I've not heard about it.

I wasn't even that aware about the pre 1960 rule here and only came across the May 2018 decision by accident. Looked it up and it is official is on the DVLA site and has also been announced by the government minster. This is all despite a survey which the majority disagreed. It will be a rolling date for 40 year old cars like the road tax exemption. Classic vehicles that are used for commercial purposes will still require the test and of course a voluntary test can be taken. Some discussion online that insurers will either give discounts for taking the test or use non-compliance as cause to refuse a claim. One '60s owner cited this when claiming that his insurer simply wanted to write the car off at market value if it was not roadworthy fortunately the car had recently had the test. The government reasoning is that we are all such enthusiasts that we can be relied on to keep our cars fully repaired and roadworthy. Quite a few people in the business have said it is no guarantee as many "classic" vehicles may look great, well polished, gleaming chrome and be absolute death traps with no brakes, rotten with rust and even the steering shot.

Really surprised that so many countries don't have such testing. Here you have to take the test and pass and to have the insurance to be able to pay the road tax to be legally on the road. When the exemption came in the road tax for the 450 was £160 our daily Mercedes which is 2.2L is currently £540pa which is down to it being a diesel. Electric and small petrol pay nothing which I think grossly unfair first because they use the road like everyone else and second we were encouraged to buy diesels as they said they were better for the environment. Also just discovered that the new Rolls-Royce Phantom 6.7L V12 will pay about a third of what we pay as it is tied to emmissions. Any way that's my rant on that subject.

Back to the test exemption much as I look forward both to the cost saving and the annual pain of the test I cannot help but think that it is a bad idea. Yes it will not stop me from continuing maintaining the 450 regardless of cost but what happens when it is hit by some idiot in a deathtrap?

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 20 October 2017, 09:26 AM
Back to the test exemption much as I look forward both to the cost saving and the annual pain of the test I cannot help but think that it is a bad idea. Yes it will not stop me from continuing maintaining the 450 regardless of cost but what happens when it is hit by some idiot in a deathtrap?

I said the same thing when the Irish Road Safety Authority was having a consultation period on the subject. If a vehicle drives on public roads, it should be tested to an age appropriate set of requirements. At the very least, brakes, steering, tyres, lights and structural integrity. Simply because some people need to be kept honest.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

I think it's a cunning plan from treehuggers in government to lure polluting classic car owners into neglect and make them crash at higher rates, and thus reducing old cars on the road. 8)

rumb

our govt attempted to to make race cars - ones only used at tracks have factory emissions equipment. 

It even more fun here, as each state has their own rules, In the United States, each state government is free to decide whether to require vehicle safety inspection, as well as the specifics of the inspection program. 18 states have a periodic (annual or biennial) safety inspection program, while Maryland requires an inspection prior to registration or transfer of ownership only.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=emissions&g=semaga

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

Quote from: floyd111 on 20 October 2017, 06:05 PM
I think it's a cunning plan from treehuggers in government to lure polluting classic car owners into neglect and make them crash at higher rates, and thus reducing old cars on the road. 8)

If only it were, more likely a cynical attempt to get votes - I wouldn't put anything past the current lot.

rumb

more bad new for Londoners

Drivers of the most polluting diesel vehicles will pay a charge to enter central London starting today. Called the T-charge, the £10 daily tax applies to diesel and petrol vehicles typically registered before 2006 that do not meet the "Euro 4" 2005 European directive to regulate vehicle emissions. (Reuters)
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

Quote from: rumb on 23 October 2017, 06:54 AM
more bad new for Londoners

Drivers of the most polluting diesel vehicles will pay a charge to enter central London starting today. Called the T-charge, the £10 daily tax applies to diesel and petrol vehicles typically registered before 2006 that do not meet the "Euro 4" 2005 European directive to regulate vehicle emissions. (Reuters)

You are well informed. Also Edinburgh proposes an extra parking charge for diesels. I still maintain that it is all about revenue not the environment. London buses are the worst polluters and not a mention.

rumb

I read today that Seattle want to start doing the same thing.

It's all just feel good moves with no real benefit.

I wonder what the news will be in 10 years when there are all electric cars and their is still pollution? What will become the next evil villain that must be destroyed at all costs.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

rumb

These cities that will charge for non-compliant vehicles will have to use license reading cameras to know who to send the bill to.

Here's the solution:

https://phantomplate.com/

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio