News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

MOT UK

Started by marku, 19 October 2017, 01:20 PM

floyd111

I notice they sell spraypaint and plastic covers both. If one of them works well, why have 2?
You think this is a genuine company? It's easy to get paranoid in this world of spam and scam.

rumb

In some states, a cover over your license plate is illegal.  I like the spray method because of that. 
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

Did see one method that put a gloss on the plate so the camera just saw it whited out by the flash. It was done for speed cameras.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ZCarFan

There's no reason to believe that being exempt from the MOT would reduce safety in any way.  You are always free to pay a mechanic to do the very same checks or better yet, do it yourself so it's done right.  I've heard this from enthusiasts before and I'm baffled.  Well and truly baffled.  A dedicated car owner should be better qualified to determine if their car is safe than some state-mandated drone.

The U.S. NHTSA released a report in 2015  that indicated only 2% of accidents in the USA were due to mechanical issues with the vehicles.  It would stand to reason that spending time and money on driver training should have a much better return than "safety" inspections.  I believe that even worse than wasted time and money, it gives a false sense of security and diverts attention away from the real problem, which is usually staring back in the mirror.

I once commented to a commercial pilot that I couldn't do his job because I would be too worried about having all those lives in my hands.  His response was along the lines of "I'm in the plane too so I want it to land safely just like everyone else".  I expect that works with automobiles too.  Those who care about their own lives will maintain a certain level of safety in their cars and those who do not cannot be helped for the most part.

marku

Sure most classic owners will want an even better job of maintenance but given human nature there is always going to someone who will try to do it on the cheap. Have to say that I am in two minds over it both from previously discussed and of course being free of the pressure of having the car tested  although I will still have it done to be sure that I haven't missed anything.

adamb

I am quite happy with UK MOT laws as they stand - no MOT test for the first 3 years and then cars made before 1960 being exempt.

While I take reasonable care of my 1977 Benz I do appreciate having it inspected for safety by a professional. In UK the inspectors are very well trained and highly experienced. Far from the drone described in an earlier post. They are often happy to explain their reasoning and use common sense to judge whether work is needed urgently.

However, if you live in a society if very strict rules then I can see how it can become a pain. A 40 Year old car may have some wear and tear that is simply unacceptable in a 10 Year old. The inspector has to have room to maneuver.

For historic vehicles per 1960 it really is a different game. While I can use my 6.9 every day, it is much harder to drive a Ponton in the same manner. It's too slow, the brakes are rubbish and a lot more maintenance is required. Here you really are in the remit of serious hobbyists. Let them decide if the car is safe or not, and they are less likely to push it to the limit as with newer machinery.

marku

Yes of course. The official reasoning for the change is that the modern test is simply not applicable to classic cars. Are tolerances that different on the basics? Brakes, lights, steering plus bodywork. Don't really see their reasoning and I would be very pleased for it to pass a future test but have to admit it is much easier with the pressure off.

floyd111

In my part of the world they have long decided that all cars, classic  or new are to be held to the same amazing standards of any modern car.
You need some brakes, some light front and rear, and you can't leave a visible smoke trail. O yeah, you also need an engine, just to prove that there is a engine number on the car to match the car papers. That's it.
I haven't tried, but I would expect there'd be no complaint if you were to personally push the car, with the engine running, into the MOT  without glass in your chassis. ;D
But beware.. if you add or  subtract anything to the car that changes it's original length, width or height, you'll fail. So, there's no lowering the suspension or leaving that back door spare wheel on your SUV or Jeep at home, if it was factory installed. Nor can you add one.
You gotta love that logic.

marku

It would be interesting to learn how different countries deal with. No personal experience but I remember reading France was draconian.

rumb

In the USA there are more 1932 fords than were ever factory produced and many are registered as a 1932 even though they are brand new.  I think CA changed their laws so they are the year built now.

Here's what is allowable for cars in colorado if you want to build or modify your own.

http://www.liftlaws.com/colorado_lift_laws.htm

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

That's fairly explicit. No doubt something like that will have to be done here. The current government here is very good at gestures to encourage support but usually doesn't follow through with the detail causing all sorts of problems over interpretation.