Mercules: "Here's one we prepared earlier..." (not really)

Started by 13B, 13 November 2007, 05:06 PM

13B

Hey Cam (the other Cam)  have you seen this one around at all? - looks like all your good ideas and hard work packed into a W123 body:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1983-MERCEDES-BENZ-280E_W0QQitemZ260180914178QQihZ016QQcategoryZ135583QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Question, since this is the old XE-era Alloy Head II engine, how well would it take to a draw-thru turbo/weber or SU setup?

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Andrew280SEL

On a side note, I'll say those 250 Crossflow engines are good motors.

There no MB obviously, but I've heard of them doing 400,000 Kms with no real problems (although head gaskets tend to go easily, but are easy to replace) and they can make good power without even going to forced induction. They are built with lots of torque onboard, about 315 NM for the carby version and 330 NM for the EFI's. Stock HP is nothing amazing, about 130-140 I think, but the torque makes up for it.

With a general work-over, they can make as much power as there Ford V8 counterparts with not-all-that-far off torque.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Mercules

Quote from: 13B on 13 November 2007, 05:06 PM
Hey Cam (the other Cam)  have you seen this one around at all? - looks like all your good ideas and hard work packed into a W123 body:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1983-MERCEDES-BENZ-280E_W0QQitemZ260180914178QQihZ016QQcategoryZ135583QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Question, since this is the old XE-era Alloy Head II engine, how well would it take to a draw-thru turbo/weber or SU setup?

I.

HAHA (one I prepared earlier... sounds like a line from a dodgy TV chef!)

The physical fit up of this engine would be identical to mine but DAMN! I wish I had fitted a carby engine sometimes! The EFI was a real test of patience. I originally suggested to the previous owner (of my car) that he try to get his hands on an XE Falcon engine to get it up and running but he wasn't interested and sold it to me instead................................ wish I had taken my own advice for once!

As far as a turbo setup - I have seen quie a few turbo 250's and they make decent horsepower. If you want to run a draw thru carby on a standard motor, you would need to run a methanol blend to "chemically" intercool the intake charge... you cant run an intercooler on a draw thru turbo because fuel will pool in the intercooler core and becomes a bomb in the event of backfire!

A "blow-thru" carby setup would be alright with an intercooler... I think you can get specific blow-thru conversion carby kits for most Holley carbies.

If you rebuilt the motor with low comp forged pistons you would probably get away with running 98 RON on its own.

On either a standard OR built engine, you would also need a heavily re-graphed distributor to pull timing out under boost.

I reckon the 250 in this car was istalled for exactly the same reason as mine - dead engine, too expensive to rebuild, had a spare Ford motor and chucked it in!

Let it not go unmentioned that there are HEAPS of Australian made performance parts for the old 250... cams, rods, pistons, high lift rockers, ported head, triple Weber manifolds, extractors.... you can make excellent power without turbos on the 250. I think Redline even make supercharger manifold kits!

Where do you stop?

Cam