News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

M110.984 engine question

Started by JasonP, 02 February 2013, 05:58 PM

JasonP

So I have begun to tackle my sister's W123, which has an M110.984 engine. It had problems with warm start, and will stall as soon as I put my foot on the gas pedal.

I am new to this engine, so did a quick visual to begin with. I found two interesting things. The service manuals and the EPC are not really helping me identify these parts, or what should go there.

Here is the first pic. This is on the right-hand side of the engine (as you are driving the car). Notice the piece pointed to by the red arrow. There is a cut hose sticking out of one hole, and the other hole is just open. What is this piece, and how should it look?

Here is the second pic. This is on the left-hand side of the engine (as you are driving the car). You can see the throttle linkage in the picture. Apparently, a hose that is plugged off and leads to nowhere. What is this piece for, and what should it look like?

Thanks, everybody.
1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

jbrasile

Hi Jason,

The vacuum connection on the head should be the switch that retards distributor advance during warm-up, it is an emissions related item but if it is not working / in use  you must make sure it is plugged since I can see a vacuum line going into it that may lead to a vacuum leak.

The fitting on the intake manifold supplies vacuum to the transmission through the banjo fitting attached to it and to the power locks / a/c system. I bet your locks and acc don't work right? There is probably a leak and they simply plugged the line rather than fixing it properly.

Tks,

Joe

JasonP

Thanks, jbrasile. So if I just make sure that they are both plugged, I should be good to go, eh?

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

jbrasile

Yes, and by the way, don't use a screw because pressure escapes through the treads, use something smooth like a bibi gun pellet.

Tks

Joe