News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

M100 forum

Started by gregdeklerk, 27 June 2007, 12:38 AM

alabbasi

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 28 June 2007, 01:46 AM
I asked for the link because it is time for me to deepen my pockets, lengthen my garage, stock up on hydraulic fluid, air suspension bellows and a hell of a lot of Dutch courage. Compared to this lot, finding a grand dame 600 will be easy. ;D

Restoring a 600 is a doddle  ;)
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

oscar

Quote from: alabbasi on 28 June 2007, 01:42 PM
Quote from: oscar on 27 June 2007, 10:53 PM
The wealth or disposable income of members had crossed my mind and you're right.  And the models covered by both groups reflect that too IMO.  I haven't ever seen a working 6.9, 6.3 or grosser sell for sub $1000 like my little collection of 116's.win. ;D

I paid around $800 for my 6.9 and while it was very rusty, it runs like a train. I havent done anything to the engine except change the thermostat , the fluids and the filters. I did spend a chunk of change restoring the body but that does not effect the workings of the car.

Actually I do know of one 6.9 ::)  ;D 
I can't even use the exchange rate and say I meant aussie dollars which comes in at $944 :-[
1973 350SE, my first & fave

robgee

Restoring a 600 is a doddle  ;)

[/quote]

So says Bigus Dickus or is that Sillyus Sodus. :D :D :D
Regards,
Rob

My Brain Hurts.

Grant V

Greg,

If you're serious about getting a 600, I know of one for restoration. Don't expect it to be a bargain, though.

As I've progressed with my 600, I've realised that the car is not that complicated - I think it's reputation is bigger than reality. Expect to pay a fortune for some parts which have been discontinued, like rear taillight lenses.

The car's worth the effort, as it seems that they are becoming rarer and more valuable everyday.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

gregdeklerk

Quote from: s class on 28 June 2007, 01:36 PM
Greg, sir, it sounds like what you are about to embark on is more challenging than importing a 6.9.

What stage is the thinking at :

a) embryonic ideas
b) conceptualisation
c) spousal approval
d) "the hunt"
e) the committment, for better or worse?

I have just arrived at point "b".  ;D

James R

Why is it that M-100 members hardly ever post in this forum. Ron B, for example, is an immensely knowledgable man but I've never seen him post in here once. Strange considering he's a 6.9 man (and therefore W116) and Australian (and therefore having a lot in common with you Ozzies !).

Fair dinkum ?
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Grant V

Good point - why doesn't RonB post here?
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

oscar

Quote from: James R on 29 June 2007, 04:16 AM
Fair dinkum ?
;D

In regards to Ron B
I can't answer for him but I suppose it comes down to where you call home and I assume the M100 group came into fruition before W116.org.   I've joined about 4 MB forums but I only really post here.  It's hard enough keeping up with this one sometimes but it feels like home and I'd be reluctant to start up again elsewhere. 

A can of worms here though, how about this -
- is the 450SEL 6.9 more a M100 or a W116? 
- Would I join a M110 forum for my 280S over a W116 forum? Hmm    ::) :-\

James R

Good post Oscar !

I post on both sites - why not ?

The M-100 site is not really devoted to the M-100 but rather the cars that used the engine. IMO - that strategy works well for the 600 but not the 6.3 and 6.9 who shared their bodywork with lesser engined models. Ergo, if your passion is a 6.3 or a 6.9 then you're going to be interested in more than just the engine and therefore would want to share knowledge with people who have 280s, 350s, 450s etc. wouldn't you ? I think that's why this site gets all the traffic and that one only a few.

Jimbo
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

CraigS

Ron is more into 6.3's than 6.9's - as well as a few others Mercs. He also has a 500 SEC and his father drives a 380. The main reason is that the M100 forum is largely technical and that is what Ron enjoys. He is a former train mechanic from New Zealand, and Mercedes have been in his family since day 1.

Knowledgable - extremely, and he managed to retain most of everything in his head. He could talk the leg off a donkey !

I will be seeing him on Monday, so will pass along your thoughts that he should join the group.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

James R

Ooh yeah. He'd be extremely welcome in here. The more people who can advise technophobes like me the better !
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

alabbasi

Quote from: CraigS on 29 June 2007, 10:27 AMHe could talk the leg off a donkey !

I must remember that phrase and use it somewhere.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

CraigS

I don't know of the controversy, but if it related to the car that got wrecked just before he bought it (but still bought the wreck), then he still has it sitting on his front lawn. Not too much left of it now though.

Mercmad is also his eBay name.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

John Hubertz

...I love the M-100 site because their knowledge of the 116 chassis is encyclopedic, they will darn near give you stuff if they think you need help, and they know a lot of rebuilder/fabricator resources for expensive or hard to get parts.

Also...  you get posts like this one that began with a pic...

Wound up with a bit of a debate from the various yacht-owning members about the who and what of the car and boat...  and a better shot of the boat...

With a definitive answer coming from an acquaintance of the owner... a Russian billionaire...  and included THIS little link to prove it was the right boat:

http://www.roman-abramovich.com/pelorus-yacht-pictures-roman-abramovich.htm

(worth clicking that link)...

and THEN a pretty heated debate about whether that yacht was really worthy!

It is kind of neat to communicate directly with folks who could use $100 bills as toilet paper, think $60,000 is a reasonable price for a remanufactured engine and enjoy our hobby cost-no-object.  Frankly, they are all great guys - united as we are in appreciation of Mercedes-Benz automobiles and enjoying life.

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

oscar

Mmm "Enjoy our hobby at no cost".  That would be bliss.  I'd call on Stuttgart to remake the 6.9.  It's a comment I made a long time ago but as minis and beetles have comeback, surely a gullwing and 6.9 would sell like hotcakes to those that can afford them.  Keeping original shape and interiors but with the latest in engine management and gadgets for creature comfort. 

Forget the electric car - Who killed the M100?   >:(

That boat :o I refuse to call that thing a yacht.  It's an ocean liner!!