News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Lost w116 mojo, any suggestions?

Started by flutes, 02 August 2010, 02:18 AM

flutes

After several overseas trips, a rather busy period at work, a few turns of Fortuna's wheel which has brought me slightly under said wheel and the need to divert cash elsewhere - I've lost my enthusiasm for working on the w116.

Current status:
- front driver's carpets out, floorpans painted with Miracle Paint but not yet Dynamtted (which means the Miracle Paint needs another coat too).  Can't remember the last time I had the footrest in situ.
- various carpets all over the place, rear seat has taken up a semi-permanent position in a spare bedroom.  Wife not terribly impressed.
- strange noises coming from I think the transmission which should be concerning me but strangely are not
- still in need of minor bodywork for which I had approached a fellow member but ran out of time to organise
- my very first project - replacing the console with wooden pieces - still not complete!  The gear level surround mocks me every time I see it (in a different spare bedroom from the seat, I don't want them colluding)

What has everyone else done when you've been going through a low point in w116 enthusiasm?
Matt
1977 450SEL

Big_Richard

ive not had an interior in my car at all for atleast 6 months, i just decide to come back to it at a later stage ;)

I have done a little bit of work to put it back together but most of the time really cant be bothered.

I've gotten to the point where i'm looking at cars for sale, such as w124's etc because i wouldn't mind a reasonable benz for touring down south with. the 6.9 was never intended as anything more than a garage queen anyway.

s class

When the enthusiasm is low, I usually buy another W116 with even more problems.   ;D

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mforcer

Washing my car gives me back the mojo.

Perhaps it is the quiet time, gently caressing every inch, appreciating every subtle curve :-X
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

s class

Seriously though, I find that taking your W116 for a drive is usually the required medicine. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

My enthusiasm for W116s, and MBs in general is unquestionable, although it's true to say that my obsession pertains to one vehicle at any given time. I just shuffle between them. I wish I had unlimited space and funds!

I don't wish to have any other brand of vehicle, though I do have a bit of a soft spot for Volvos.

So long as I have something to do, I don't get bored. My biggest mistake was to purchase a vehicle that didn't need any work. Those days are gone though. So with that, I align pretty well with S Class's situation. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

another sad 280s

my interior has spent 6 months sitting under my carport with part of my grill waitng for me to put the new trim on. depressing everytime i actually look at them. worse still when i go to the panelbeaters. definitely need to take one for a spin

flutes

Thanks for your GENEROUS offer Michel ... think I'll pass this time around!

S Class/Tim - I certainly haven't driven it much lately, I don't think I've filled the tank since early June.   And Michael it hasn't been washed properly for some time, that's probably a good place to start.

MT I find myself looking at adverts for w124s all the time (and E30 BMWs and Series 1 Lotus Elises, both of which I have a strong desire to own) but I soon come to my senses.  We're looking to move house end September and most likely to an apartment where working space will be an issue, not to mention storage space for MORE cars.  I need to find Nathan's secret for working 100 hrs a week and still finding time to fix 3 w116s.
Matt
1977 450SEL

Yesmar

Quote from: s class on 02 August 2010, 07:31 AM
Seriously though, I find that taking your W116 for a drive is usually the required medicine. 
this
- Ramsey

oscar

Agreed, a good drive kicks the w116 blues to the kerb.  So long as you got a roadworthy w116 of course. ::)

I know what your going through flutes.  I'm in a bit of a rut, have been all year, but particularly the last few months with other things to concentrate on.  W116 things to do are mounting up but I couldn't be bothered.   :-\  Without trying I took a break from all things w116 and have only just started to make a mends, throwing out all the junk to consolidate.  The wrecks have saved me $ with some parts but now they're pi$$ing me off and are in the way.   Plus there's always a desire for a change.  Not to be w116less but I've always wanted a bike or a few plus a different car. Name a brand or year, it could be anything.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

gf

tell someone you know that youll drive it round their place next week, cause you just finished the last bit and it has to be seen to be believed! before you know it youll say " F#$%! id better get cracking!" set yourself the ultimatum- pride or extreme humiliation!

flutes

It would help if I stopped watching Top Gear, I'm starting to think of any car that can't do 0-100 in under 5 seconds and handle like a Gallardo as inadequate.
Matt
1977 450SEL

Big_Richard

I am a top gear devoted fan, but i do not let the exotic cars thrashed on that show skew my view of cars that are within my price range ;)

dont let ANYONE in this world fill your head with crap, make your own decisions from your own experiences  8)

TJ 450

I agree with the second paragraph, MT. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 06 August 2010, 07:51 AM
I agree with the second paragraph, MT. 8)

Tim

You of all people need to start listening to me and Nathan, just kidding.....

Well, except about purchasing cars in wangarra  8)