News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Just bought a W140

Started by beagle2022, 08 March 2017, 01:53 AM

beagle2022

I just bought a 1993 S320 W140.  260,000kms.  Good service record and well kept.  A few parking lot dings and scratches, but nothing major. All the electrics work and the wiring harnesses are in good shape.  Quite a change from the W116.  Very quiet and the seats are ridiculously comfortable.  Nothing needs attention immediately other than the owners have lost the security code for the sound system (Becker) after some battery problems. 

An interesting feature is that is has two batteries (!!).  The extra one was installed professionally when the previous owner had a few strandings with flat battery issues.  There is a small switch under the dash that lets you choose which one you use to start the car.  Both charge in normal operation.  There is enough grunt between them to jump start an aircraft carrier.

These cars are right at the bottom of the depreciation curve, so I think it would be hard to lose money over the next few years.  I am looking forward to some long trips in it over the coming months.

Any experiences or insights with this model?
Sydney, Australia

gf

Nice!! Photos please. My experience is I get very jealous whenever I see one.

daantjie

Nice one!  when they first came out I must be honest I was not too chuffed with the W140 styling, but now I can easily see myself driving one, but it must be the 500, or perhaps this will be the "one V12 every  man should own in their lifetime" for me 8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Peter

A really nicely styled car. I owned one for many years and as you say the seats are perfect and the sounds system is impressive. My only real expense was replacing the engine wiring harness which is the common fault with the 140. I still have a full set of books/manuals and the MB folder if you need them (let me know) and it has the radio code  ;D

Zaxxon

I had a couple 140s until just a little while ago - sold the '96 S420, but still have the '99 CL500 which I probably will never sell. Those cars really are amazing machines and offer a ride, sound level and comfort that I am still unable to find even in much newer S-Class models. My '99 is in really nice condition I'd say, even though it has now over 70k on it. The car is fully optioned aside from the auxiliary heater and window shades, which I don't know if they were offered in the coupe and I spent about 4 years to get it back to it's former glory. Some of the things that usually go wrong are the heater duo valve, blower regulator, on the inline 6 the head gasket, sometimes broken springs in the front, but usually more so on the V8, and before '96, the biodegradable wiring harnesses. Oh, and the mirror wiring harnesses melt down sometimes - insulation just crumbles. Aside from that, they are amazing cars and full of incredible engineering for the age...

--Zax
---
Mercedes: '99 CL500, '86 500SEC, '96 SL500, '06 R500, '02 ML320, '78 450SEL
Porsche: '80 928S 5-Speed, '86.5 928S RogerBox '86.5 928S 5-Speed, '83 944
Others: '84 Callaway Alfa Romeo GTV6, '83 Tiara, '87 FZ

gf

Anyone suspect what the long term running costs might be over the next decade? I'm suspecting it will be a fair bit more than a w116. Hence my reluctance to get one. Even though they're a dream car for me

s class

10 years ago I had a higher mileage 500SEL that was a bit neglected and problematic, but wow what a machine.  THe only car I've ever driven/owned that I would say was actually better than a 116.  I would love to get another one. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

beagle2022

Here are some photos.  Not sure if I have posted them properly.  I chose small file sizes to be safe
Sydney, Australia

daantjie

Very nice indeed. Congratulations!
Daniel

Harv

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

daantjie

One thing that I've noted and maybe just because I am not a fan of light interiors, is that it is rare to find a dark interior on a 140 or 126. Must have been a trend as now the trend seems to be darker interiors. I love a light exterior like silver matched with dark interior such as the 202 leather on the 116 or even better, black. To each their own ;D
Daniel

gf

Yep that was a trend up till the early 2000s, just like blue interiors up till 1990. Black is all the rage now.
Gosh those seats make me feel relaxed just looking at them. Have you taken it for many drives yet?

beagle2022

GF, I have barely driven it.  I picked it up on Monday afternoon and headed out of town on business the next morning.  I get home on this Sunday night and fly out again on Monday night.  So it sits unloved until next Wednesday.  I'll give it a basic service and plan to take it on a long trip the following weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Sydney, Australia

beagle2022

OK.  First impressions:
* It is built like a tank.  Heavy metal everywhere.  Double glazed windows.
* It is full of gadgets.  Why anyone needs a power operated rear view mirror is beyond me. So there are lots of fiddly things to go wrong in the future.
* It is insanely quiet.  Really. At any speed.
* To counter that, the sound system is amazing.  Ten speakers. Separate power amp for the rear shelf ones.  10 stacker CD player.
* More power than I expected from a 3.2 hauling over 2 tons.
* It handles very well: big tyres and great suspension.
* The seats are phenomenally comfortable.  The power front seats adjust into almost any conceivable position and are supportive even after 25 years of use. The adjustable steering wheel is a bonus.
* The engine bay is uncluttered and everything is easy to access.
* As an early model is has KE jet injection.  So I'm not a total stranger to what is going on.
* Central locking etc is all vacuum operated.  (You can run but you can't hide!)
* Parts are pricier than w116, but not crazy: Distributor cap was $143. Rotor arm $66. Air filter $44.  All Aussie dollars.
These cars are where the w116 was 15 years ago in terms of market value.  A great buy at current prices.  It should last for years.
Sydney, Australia

daantjie

Ugh you are tempting me now...currently 2 low miles s500's close to me here. I want one soooo baaaad :o
Daniel