News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

I think its time i came out...

Started by bahnstormer109, 08 February 2007, 03:54 AM

bahnstormer109

Hi guys,

this is a great tight knit little forum here, and we're all mates right?

well, ive been having some urges for quite some time now, and im pretty ashamed of them. i dont really want to act on these feelings im having, but id like to find a way to make them go away.

i think if i admit to it and get it all off my chest ill feel better. i dont want to talk about it on other forums because i dont think theyd understand. anyway i hope none of you go spreading any of this on the other forums.

well, here i go i spose...

i want a jag.
there i said it. more specifically a series 1 XJ6 4.2

id never get one of course! i might be crazy but im not stupid. it would ruin my life.

i just want to know how to stop liking them?

thanks for listening, i feel better now, youve all been a great support.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Brian Crump

If you want one then go get one. Life is too short for regrets.I felt this way about wanting a Rolls - but NOW I adore that 6.8 litre engine as it growls under full throttle......
You want a cat that purrs? Buddy go and do it!!!
Me, I lust after a Lancia Tre Kappa - and there is one on the Gold Coast but never for sale...bugger, bugger, bugger...
BC

bahnstormer109

Nah, ill never get one.

please share any jag-related horror stories.

though i wonder if an M117 would go into one?

i couldnt really imagine driving something that wasnt a benz. thats why my jag fetish is making me feel dirty.

my parents had a benz since i was a kid, i learnt to drive in them, i even managed to find a driving instructor who taught manual in a 190E. i knew everything about old benzes and nothing about anything else. i wouldnt know where to start with a different make. i have a whole infrastructure set up for benzes, with mechanics, club, spares, forums etc.
when i was at uni a mate of mine actually had to sit me down and explain to me what other cars are actually like. ill never forget that night, i lost my innocence. i learnt about such terrifying things as leaf springs, pushrods and drum brakes  ???

i always thought benzes were better than other cars because they were smoother and more reliable, i had no idea the extent to which they were superior in their day, and now still are compared to most modern attempts at transport. when i learnt about what is under the skin of aussie and jap cars, i actually developed a phobia of them.

my mate also taught me about satan, though we knew him by another name- LUCAS Prince Of Darkness.
i can afford to run 5 old benzes but i couldnt afford to run 1 old jag. theyre just so sexy though...
here we go again!

i need to get a life.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Des

I will freely admit that 1970's -80's Jag's are nicer looking than a W116,
the flowing lines, the slippery smooth bodywork really is appealing, however these cars where built like something out of the USSR, the rubber used in the suspension bushes, steering bushes falls apart after a few years. the electrical connectors just corrode away and cause nightmares.

I have heard from mechanics in the know that they are a real pain in the bottom to work on, reliability of the jag drive line is highly questionable and that is why so many people switch to chev engines and T400 gearboxes.

If you did want one buy one that has been restored, has had big dollars spent on fixing it up with modern rubbers and proper quality electrical connectors.

One final thought to leave you with......with the XJ's were new, Jaguar was owned by Layland, the, then new cars were offered to the senior management as company cars, they refused and would rather drive the mini's.

WGB

I have owned a 1976 Series 2 Coupe (Purchased in 1978 with 20,000 km) and a series 3 - 1984 Sovereign with the Pepper-pots etc.

On a nice day when all is going well, your tongue is held correctly and God is smiling you will drive the nicest saloon man has ever created.

For the other 364 days of the year you will pay very dearly for your choice. Even when you spend all the money and time to get it right it will still find a way to bite you almost instantly.

If you are really into hair shirts, leather and whips - try the V12 - they drive even better on a good day and bite you almost twice as hard.

Bill

john skene

Memories, I owned a Series 1 Jaguar a long while ago - before my kids started school - had to have all mechanical work done twice then do it myself!! When ruining well it was great, when I sold it however, it felt like it a great weight was lifted off my shoulders.

The model I would have loved to get was the 450G, one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Why didn't Jaguar put the 4.5 litre Daimler motor in it? They had one such conversion under test for a long while with major improvements to performance.

WGB

They didn't use the Daimler 4.5 motor because it outperformed the Jaguar Motor just as the 2.5 outperformed the Jag 2.4.

My local Doctor had one of those Daimler 4.5's and parked it at the end of our street.

Bill

WGB

Turner also designed the Triumph Motorcycle Twin engine.

My father was always a Rover Man and I learnt a lot about my hobby fixing them.

Bill

500eguy

My Father always had a Rolls Shadow, i enjoyed the car.... it does have shoddy build quality, but it has a certain character that i have always adored. If i had extra money and some bravery i would purchase a mkII jag in a heartbeat!