News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

I just picked up a 450SLC 5.0

Started by alabbasi, 09 February 2008, 12:49 AM

Greg in Oz

Quote from: alabbasi on 15 February 2008, 09:00 AM
Hmm interesting, it shows that my car was originally icon gold and not the metalic green that it is now? Is this 100% if it was painted it much have been an inside out paint job.

Yes, it was originally Icon Gold but a previous owner changed it according to what Scott posted in post #9 at http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=20023 . Must have been a very thorough job judging by the photos.

Do a search of the 5.0 SLC forum using your #1143 as a search term to see if any other threads mention your car. Scott was a very active poster on that forum.

Greg

alabbasi

I love Ikon Gold! It must go back !
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

alabbasi

Greg, on the other 500slc, you are correct I did miss a car. It is a blue 500slc Euro car with blue velor interior, no sunroof, manual crank windows an 02 sensor and push button ACC. It's a lot rustier then the rest but still a decent looking car.

In any case, I bought it today and also bought the parts car.

I will return both of these cars back to driving condition and then decide which one I shall keep. Funny story about the whole thing is that I started picking up bad vibes from the lady that was handling the estate and I couldn't understand why. It turned out that the person who bought the silver SLC mistook me for another Al from England who lived in Dallas and this guy was supposed to have been a real ar$ehole. He had told the executor to keep well clear of me!

In any case, I met the owner of the other SLC today and he quickly realized that I was not the same person.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

oscar

Well congrats again and again.  :D  You've got quite a collection to add to an already impressive stable.   All the best with the mountain of work ahead of you.

BTW, glad to hear your the good guy Al, not the ar$ehole Al :D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Greg in Oz

Al,

Congratulations! You now own more examples of the 107.026 than there are currently in all of Australia! As I understand it, you now own #1143 (metallic green - formerly icon gold), #1459 (inca red) and #1654 (silver blue). With #1576 (silver) gone to the other buyer, the only remaining car for sale is #2526 (anthracite). Did you manage to get all the parts to go with #1459?

Interesting that #1654 has an oxygen sensor, it must have been done to comply with US DOT requirements. Does it also have a catalytic converter? As delivered in Europe the 107.026 cars didn't have oxygen sensors or catalytic converters. Something they did have to assist performance was four exhaust manifolds and four engine pipes which join into the twin pipes just ahead of the front muffler.

I'm not surprised by the lack of a sunroof on #1654 but the manual windows are unusual. Auto climate control was a common option (something they are probably better off without) and velour was also common (surprisingly more expensive than the "standard" leather). My 500SLC doesn't have a sunroof and has manual heater controls and its seats are velour with orthopaedic backrests and heaters.

Please come and share your story with the guys on the 107.026 section of the MB Club of America forum. The registry will also need to be updated. They are doing a good job of documenting the remaining examples of these rare cars.

Greg

alabbasi

Hey Greg

I purchased the silver blue car, the parts (107024) car and the green car (1143). The #1459 (inca red) car is still for sale. Scott's sister is still trying to figure out what to do with this car as it's partially disassembled which makes it more difficult to sell.

All the best

Al
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Greg in Oz

Al,

I had forgotten about the 107.024 (450SLC) parts car that Scott owned. When you previously mentioned purchasing the "parts car", I was thinking you were referring to the inca red (#1459) 107.026 that is partially dismantled. Hopefully it will be reassembled by someone and won't end up as a parts car. If only it was here in Oz...

I notice you have posted on the MBCA 107.026 forum. Great to see you there. I look forward to reading of your progress with your purchases.

Cheers,
Greg

alabbasi

Greg

Help me out here, what's worth keeping on the parts car? I am really tight on space now. I really need to strip the parts car of what I would need from it and then scrap the rest so that I can reclaim the space.

I plan on getting started this weekend.

All the best

Al
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Greg in Oz

Al,

Depending upon how much space you have I would consider keeping:
*The rear window (if not delaminated and heater wires not corroded)
*Tail lights
*All good chrome/bright work including grille
*Interior including dash, console, seats, door cards (if good condition)
*Switchgear
*Instruments
*Electric window regulators
*Bonnet/hood (if good and especially if aluminium)
*Bumpers (especially if "Euro")
*Headlights (if "Euro")
*Engine (if good, otherwise just fuel distributor and other ancillaries)
*Transmission (if good)
*Differential (especially if limited slip)

I know, that sounds like most of the car but hopefully it takes up less space than the complete car. Anything you don't want you can try selling (eg. on eBay).

If it has US headlights I would even consider those (without the sealed beams). Scott had previously sent me a set for my 500SLC. I needed to convert its lights from LHD to RHD and these fitted with halogen inserts give low beam performance equal to the "Euro" lights and superior high beam performance at lower cost than replacing the lenses and reflectors in the "Euro" lights. It also gives the car the unique look of the rally cars which ran quad lights (also remember that the quad lights are a rare sight in Australia).

Cheers,
Greg

kolin

for those in SA not south aus , andy williams the head off business school has a red one. also rare here.dont think they made too many.