News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

How many litres in yr garage?

Started by Brian Crump, 11 February 2007, 12:04 AM

Brian Crump

Being bored and desperate on a Sunday afternoon in sticky, downtown Sydney, I decided to count the litres in my garage....leaving out the water blaster (illegal to use) and the leaf blower (politically incorrect to use) I arrive at engines totalling 19 litres. Nope - no lawn mower yo include...At what stage do I qualify for a government subsidy? Can I do a deal with OPEC? Should I hang my head in shame for using the last drop of petrol in the known world? Should I care?
Is there a magic number of total engine litres amongst forum members? I can get to 21 litres if I include engines that can run but currently don't....
BC

Des

Quote from: Brian Crump on 11 February 2007, 12:04 AM
Should I hang my head in shame for using the last drop of petrol in the known world? Should I care?

Hell yes you should care, like me you should be highly concerned Mercedes never brought a worthy successor to the 6.9!

Why didn't they build cars like this?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/jay_leno_garage/1302941.html

It would seem only "natural" to me that after the war they should have built cars with the Panther tank engines in them, Mercedes built the motors for those after all.

You can watch a video of it here:

http://www.mypartypost.com/watchvideo/4355/Jay_Leno-_Tank_Car

Brian Crump

Love it!!!!!! Like Leno says 'Everyone should have one!!!!'
Makes me a bit nervous to think about it though....what would Mr Bateman do with all that engine? :o
Evil grin.
BC

Des

Quote from: Brian Crump on 11 February 2007, 01:07 AM
Makes me a bit nervous to think about it though....what would Mr Bateman do with all that engine? :o
Evil grin.
BC
I think he would get a front page this time

"Mercedes hoon gets clocked at over 300KPH"

:D ;D

oscar

I can't crack double figures and I refuse to add the Ford Terri in. It doesn't count.

How about Jay's car.  Talk about if money was no object.  Most of us opted to send a w116 back to Germany for a rebirth.  My closest idea to thinking outside the 116 shape and becoming radical by chopping a w116 was when two white 350's were up for sale in Melbourne.  I wondered if you could put two 3.5L engines end to end in a doubled length engine bay for the sole purpose becoming a streetrod.

Call me stupid because I deserve it but 7.0L??.............Didn't MB make a 6.9L engine :P :D

Now 2 6.9L engines end to end. 13.8 V16, but boy, I think an artist impression would turn me off.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Double figures? 10kph?
Oscar - what are you trying to tell us?
BC

oscar

In a nutshell,
I'm inadequate, I have classic car envy :-[ not jealous, just envious.  ;D

Responding to your first post, you could have 150L worth of classics in your garage, I don't see why you should be penalised or feel guilty for doing so.  How many cars can you drive at once?  They should bury rego charges in fuel pricing.  If you don't drive a car, you don't get penalised. 

Have to go, dust storm coming, must get pics. :-[

Brian Crump

Oscar, I gave up guilt at the same time I gave up dust storms...when I left the Riverina.....beatutiful though it is!!
BC

robertd

Hi Guys,
I count 42 litres not counting my wifes car ( a C200 ). It sounds excessive ?
They all start and drive but not all are registered for the road.
Regards Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

Mforcer

The other car in my garage has a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine. Not much different than the 4.5 L V8 in the W116 ;) Who really wants more than that?!? :P
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

Every litre counts!
Mr Bateman is yet to stake his claim. Will we allow him to include litres from the cars he has photographed?
BC

s class

LITRES IN GARAGE :

RUNNING MB : 12.3 LITRES
RUNNING NON-MB : 3.2 LITRES

TOTAL RUNNING : 15.5 LITRES
TOTAL NON-RUNNING : 2.8 LITRES

CYLINDERS IN GARAGE :

RUNNING MB : 22 CYLINDERS
RUNNING NON-MB : 8 CYLINDERS

TOTAL RUNNING : 30 CYLINDERS
TOTAL NON RUNNING : 6 CYLINDERS

Ryan in S.A.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

gregdeklerk

Brian Crump

Wheels + tyres = 26
Wheels alone   = 14
Now if I get my model cat collection out of storage and count the tyres/wheels there I can add a few more...
Thank fully we are amongst friends when we admit to these perversions...
Regards,
BC

oscar

Brian, if you're gonna count Cat's, I'm gonna count rollingstock and loco's :D

..ditto for the rest of your post. ;D