News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Hoon car crushed

Started by Big_Richard, 29 July 2010, 03:52 AM

Big_Richard

TJ 450

That's one flat Commodore, although I'm not quite sure what the video is trying to achieve. I suppose it is "shock tactics".

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

well, just imagine that was your blue 6.9 in there, i think you get the picture ;)

TJ 450

I get the point, but it's another one of these poorly executed campaigns.

Personally, I reckon it would be more effective if they had about 50 cars lined up, and the ex-drivers were forced to watch the cars being crushed. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

i doubt this will make any difference, all the hooners wil do is buy disposable peices of crap that are more likley to kill people on the road than the decent cars.

But, what can you do ?

TJ 450

Indeed, I don't reckon there is any answer to the issue.

What about the Constable speeding along the Tonkin Hwy? That's a classic.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

KenM

Some hoon car, what a boring POS unless they took off all the good bits first, which kind of leads into another question, instead of just crushing cars to make a point wouldn't they be better to sell them for parts? At least it might make some money, still not going to deter some people though.

200 hp

If a w116 was put in there, the machine would give way before the roof does.  ;D

Big_Richard

There was discussion of a cash for clunkers scheme to be adopted in Australia, where by $2000 is paid for the surrender of any registered vehicle.

If such a scheme is adopted cheap cars will be a thing of the past and i fear alot of w116's will end up like that commodore, making them even rarer to see on the road.

koan

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 29 July 2010, 05:13 PM
If such a scheme is adopted cheap cars will be a thing of the past and i fear alot of w116's will end up like that commodore, making them even rarer to see on the road.

I think the cash for clunkers scheme planned is only for new cars and then only for "fuel efficient" vehicles.

The clunker has to registered and roadworthy to get the $2000.

Maybe it won't have too effect, anything effective would cost the govt too much (of our) cash.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

It's hard to get Govts to dish out the pennies in the first place, so it really makes me angry when I see them throw cash at a lost cause. 

Quote from: KenM on 29 July 2010, 06:44 AM
Some hoon car, what a boring POS unless they took off all the good bits first,

I think you're right. If it wasn't for the front grill with a hint of spraycan red, I would've sworn it was an ex Govt Lease car with it's white duco and steelies, not a hoon car.  If I was a hoon, (or more hoonish 8) ) the sight of a non blinged commodore getting crushed does nothing to me.  OTOH, if it had sick mags, Brockie decals, and a footy team seat cover, I think i'd be in tears.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

Quote from: oscar on 29 July 2010, 06:50 PM
OTOH, if it had sick mags, Brockie decals, and a footy team seat cover, I think i'd be in tears.

In tears from laughter or genuine soul crushing disappointment ?

If the later then clearly you are a caring and compassionate soul, but i guess you have to be in your line of work  8)

oscar

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 30 July 2010, 06:39 AM
In tears from laughter or genuine soul crushing disappointment ?

Ah, definitely soul crushing, but only if I had a mullet and was into commodores, which I don't and I'm not.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

craigb

They have the crush thing here in SA but It does seem a waste and it doesnt seem like they catch many or actually prove it etc or fear the consequences if they don't prove it.

I was thinking it would be better as community service they need to dismantle it themselves in a govt workshop like at regency or lonsdale )(I think mechanics are already there on site) - dismantling something you have already built? Selling parts to help fund......... Random thoughts but having run for a few years what they are doing doesn't seem to help.
1980 280s

flutes

The community service thing sounds like a good idea, and efficient use of resources...donation to high school shops perhaps?  The kids could learn how to work on cars, tune them, get extra performance and ... oh right.  Bad idea.
Matt
1977 450SEL