News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Hmmmmm Theory re posting rates/seasonal variances

Started by John Hubertz, 18 September 2008, 02:13 PM

John Hubertz

I've noticed a sudden upsurge in posts - and also had been somewhat surprised at the lack of posts in April/May....   although I don't know the stats.

Is it possible that we (a predominantly male community) are demonstrating the feral cycles of reproductive activity vis a vis:

1.  I pay attention to women in the spring and summer
2.  I seem to get more enthusiastic about my cars in the spring/summer, even though I do more WORK on them in the fall/winter months.... 

3.  We chatter more due to the rising of the "juices" of life during the Spring - and since this is an Aussie-dominated forum there is an uptick of posts?

Human Male (Spring)

Human Male (Fall)

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

oscar

My take on the cycle

Quote1.  I pay attention to women in the spring and summer
Because they wear less clothes. 8)

Quote2.  I seem to get more enthusiastic about my cars in the spring/summer, even though I do more WORK on them in the fall/winter months....
The kind of weather that doesn't require heating or cooling is when a w116 is best enjoyed.  Apart from being able to drive without cursing the A/C or climate control, tools aren't too hot to pick up if left in the sun for 10minutes or too cold.  Fingers don't ache after holding a frozen wrench for too long.

Quote3.  We chatter more due to the rising of the "juices" of life during the Spring - and since this is an Aussie-dominated forum there is an uptick of posts?
There's no argument there.  Spring is a pep-me-up catalyst for all the above reasons.   Good driving weather and plenty of nice scenery.   8) Expect a flurry of A/C posts too.  For me, I went into winter knowing I had to reseal my compressor.  It's still attached to the engine and still waiting and I'm dreading the heat.

Spring was a bit depressing the other day though.  Everywhere gets some kind of unseasonal weather and on the 15th, two weeks into spring, we had a summer's day complete with dust storm and a few spots of falling mud. :(  I don't much like summer out here.  The first two were taken at 3:00pm

1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

I find summer too hot to work during the heat of the day but pleasant morning and night but winter is just too cold.

Spring and autumn bring out the best in the diy-er as well as the cars.

I don't have much trouble driving in summer - must be time to fix your aircon Oscar.

Bill

oscar

Quote from: WGB on 19 September 2008, 12:05 AM
I don't have much trouble driving in summer - must be time to fix your aircon Oscar.

Rub it in why don't you ;D 

It worked all last summer for the first time in years, one charge lasted nearly three months, then the compressor leak got worse and within a week a second charge disppeared. 

WGB

Well considering the effort I put in to get my aircon working I would hope it would last.

I don't like to mention it because the superstitious part of me is waiting for my 6.9 to go flat again but it's been working well for several months without a hiccup so I am hoping that the repaired manifold is forever.

Oh yes Oscar - on the cold frosty mornings the heated seats are marvellous - so much so that when I order my next new car I might include them in the specs.

Bill

TJ 450

I would agree that heated seats are awesome, even though a lot of people think they are unnecesary in this climate, it does actually get quite cold.  8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

Now, that's just one of those things that if you don't have it, you don't miss it.  But I'll accept both of your testimonies ;)

Damn 6.9ers. ;D

GreaseMonkey

First proper drive for Wasabi in warm weather yesterday.
Drove to Sydney and back (to collect a set of alloys, yep, bought on ebay) and it was the first time I have driven it far on a hot day, also going up the escarpment from the south coast is always a test for any car, but no, all was good, comfortable quiet drive.
The air-con wroks good, and cool, although I think some of the heater flap door things are not opening where they should, maybe a vacuum problem to chase up?
I also occasionally restore antique furniture as a hobby, and have had to use it to collect a couple of things recently, so it is starting to earn it's keep as a working wagon.
Chris

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 19 September 2008, 05:04 AM

I would agree that heated seats are awesome, even though a lot of people think they are unnecesary in this climate, it does actually get quite cold.  8)

Can't have you WA folks driving around with a cold botty in the mornings can we ;)

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

craigb

I have to say there was a time when you could find me wrapped up in waterproofs, laying on the driveway etc. to utilise every second I could to work on stuff, but I have become a bit soft in my old age! We live up on a hill though and on a hot summer night with cool winds blowing and all the doors open, I have been known to work well in to the not so wee hours of the morning. The problem is rolling in to bed at 4am or so and then having the kids jumping on you at 6am and no sympathy from the wife. Then again, every now and then it is better than sitting up all night with a sick baby, and you get over the lack of sleep.
1980 280s