News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Help for w203 model

Started by mrkozzy, 01 June 2018, 02:38 AM

mrkozzy

Hi all.

I know this request is not 116 related but perhaps some of you have, or have had the model  I am seeking information about.
Perhaps it is or was a 2nd car .

I have stumbled across a sort of barn find  2000 year C240 w203 (I think).

I know nothing about this model range.

I know the family who has this car and its unwanted , It happens to belong to the their very elderly grandparents.

It has been sitting maybe 8 years undercover, has k's in the low 60,000 and is that soft gold colour outside. I believe its the mid range version. (Is that the Elegance?)

Im pretty sure its got a full service history up to when it was parked and no longer driven.

I'm thinking of it as a good 2nd vehicle which the wife can drive.

What to look for ? Is it, was it a good model?

My thoughts are making an offer of $5000 including rego and roadworthy.

Any thoughts?
MrKozzy

rumb

USA value is about $3000 usd.  sitting for 8 years would subtract at least another $1000 from any car.   fuel contamination, will need new tires, etc.

If I was interested I would offfer $1500 usd.  If he takes to shop and gets running and puts new tires on it, then I would prob do $3000 usd.

My opinion is C class just are not anywhere the quality you used to expect from a MB. 
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Yup I drove a C180 Kompressor way back in the day. Sadly a shadow of MB's former self in build quality.  Ride was nice enough, but I would never buy one again.  As a daily driver might be OK, but nothing more than that. I got it for a steal at the time so it did not sting too much, actually made money off of it when I flogged it, can you believe it!?  One thing that struck me was the wind noise at speed, was quite miffed at that.  The ones to get are the C320 V6's, nice power. The 2. whatever litre cars are underpowered for sure.  I actually had a 6 speed manual so I could rev it out which made it bearable but it sucked gas of course big time when you did that. Overall, heavy, slow, and fuel economy not great.  I think you'll find the 240 very underwhelming, but as a DD for the wife,I am sure it'll do.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Peter

If it's a W203 and a 2000 model its the first of the series. At 60,000 it should still be a nice daily runner however check that both keys function correctly as this is a common problem for this series and the series before. Other than that they had a few issues with squeaks and rattles (age related I think), rust in some places but this is not likely given its klm's. In my opinion a great little car as a daily runner. Timing chain was also a concern but not at 60,000 more like 120,000 so you should be onto a winner.

6.9original

Also beware the stepper motor for ventilation in behind dash. Make a clicking noise. Dash out job, expensive.

TJ 450

Unless it's able to be purchased for a bargain basement price, I'd be wary. These cars are cheap as chips to buy these days in registered and driving condition and are unlikely to be collectible in the future.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

mrkozzy

Thank you to all for the valuable info. ;)

I see it in a different light now and it all makes sense.

I have definitely revised m thoughts and estimated worth of the car, even tho it has low k's.
MrKozzy