News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Grosser 600 Mercedes Cars

Started by UTn_boy, 01 February 2011, 12:25 AM

koan

The German classic center has parts query page, type in a number and it returns one of three things, stock item order from dealer, available from classic centre via dealer, and NLA contact the classic centre.

My local dealer said the 6.9 sump was NLA, I asked if it could be got from the classic centre and was told yes. It arrived a couple of weeks later for around $40AUS.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

hang on, did i read correctly that you got a cast aluminium sump for a 6.9 for $40 ?

if so thats awesome!

koan

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 02 February 2011, 06:59 AM
hang on, did i read correctly that you got a cast aluminium sump for a 6.9 for $40 ?

if so thats awesome!

No sorry, I left out the word plug, as in sump plug :)

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

aar, I was going to order me 2 sumps if that was the price. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

UTn_boy

My goodness I didn't mean to offend anyone that liked Karl or wanted to meet him.  I certainly didn't say anything in my original post that I would not have said to him in person.  Karl is a nice guy, as I have met him, but when he knows you know how to work on a 600 he gets very defensive.  I guess he may feel threatened or something.  Regardless, I will heed Wbrian's advice and edit my post, but only out of respect to you guys on this forum and for the notoriety and respect I have gained from this forum.  I understand that it may be viewed as a boorish act to say what I have said on a public forum.  However, I, like so many others, have no reservations about holding my tongue when something needs to be addressed.  The facts still remain, and frankly, I am not worried about coming across Karl's path again or ever needing his assistance.  If someone holds a grudge for something as trivial as I have said then that is their problem, and I will not ever let it cost me anything.  To be fair, NO ONE is an official guru.  We ALL are official guru's.  It is very important to let the world know that abuse of the power of knowledge is unacceptable, and comes with many ramifications.  That is one of the few things we, as humans, have control over.  Due to the childish nature of business politics alone is one good reason to stay out of them. 

I understand about the economics of buying and selling, and all about what current 600 owners and "Collector Car Price Guide" may or may not be trying to do to the value of a 600.  My concern here is if not so many people are aware of a 600 or what it is, then how can that game be played?  They're advertising to a limited market in which portrays an attitude of 'I, and everything I own, is the rarest and so much better than yours, and you aren't good enough to own one of these'.  A good example is someone trying to sell a car 5 times what it is worth just because it was owned by someone famous.  That fact alone does not affect the value of an automobile, but so many people think it does.  Those mind games alone have so many catastrophic effects on any given market.  It is all childish games.  I am also shocked at the prices 600's are bringing in Australia.  That is unbelievable. 

Interesting story.  I have a friend that moved to China about 8 years ago.  He owned a beautiful 600 SWB.  He had no intentions of selling it just because he was moving, so he had it shipped to China.  Upon arrival to Chinese customs it was detained.  The Chinese government explained to him that no citizen, or outsider alike, is allowed to own or drive a 600 unless they are a high ranking official.  It has been 8 years now and the poor guy is still fighting to get his 600 back.  They did not return it to him.  Communism is not a pretty way to govern in all aspects.  :-/

Regarding the antiquated fuel injection, it is truly amazing, in my opinion.  The 6.3 engines have an in-line 8 multi-plunger pump situated in the 'valley' area under the intake.  They are quite simple to work with and even take apart and put back together.  They scare a lot of people due to their complexity and having so many parts in them.  Even knowing how the system works inside and out still leaves you without a test stand to test a pump on.  One could easily rig a make shift test stand up, but it so much easier and cheaper to send it off. haha.  They usually last the life of the engine, minus the seals giving way.  Even then you have to beg Bosche to sell you the gasket kits for them.

Anyway, I'll end this reply by stating that if there is ever a 600 bought for over $60,000, then money has been wasted.  Besides, you'll need the extra money to buy parts for it.  The last time I ordered an oil filter for a 6.3 from Mercedes the list price was $113!  That is highway robbery.  It is an oil filter, not a caliper.  haha.  I also ask all forum members to provide commentary regarding this post without prejudice, and not hold back on your true thoughts.  I have edited my original post to make it more friendly and less biased.  I do enjoy everyone's feedback and thoughts, just as I enjoy everybody's company on here.  Take care all. AARON
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

thysonsacclaim

UTn,

QuoteWe ALL are official guru's.  It is very important to let the world know that abuse of the power of knowledge is unacceptable, and comes with many ramifications.  That is one of the few things we, as humans, have control over.  Due to the childish nature of business politics alone is one good reason to stay out of them.

I have mixed feelings on the issue of information exclusivity.

A bit off topic in my analogy, but it addresses your quote above.

For the longest time they though competition was the only driving force of adaptation and progress in organisms. However, most recent information says this isn't the case: they cooperate. Take the photosynthetic sea slug. This is the only animal ever known to utilize photosynthesis; the way plants derive energy from the sun. They use individual plant parts (chloroplasts) to make energy. They can survive off just sunlight after acquiring these plant parts. Same for termites: they cannot eat wood at all on their own. They need a specific organism in their gut to do this, which also benefits by getting food itself. This same idea applies to information... we need cooperation and some competition.

There are things to be said for patents on new technology and I totally believe companies should be able to profit from ideas they develop. Same for people who are 'experts.' The internet is quickly changing that by putting the power of information into the hands of us all. Experts should be worried, but they can also embrace some things. At one point, we sat at the bottom of a pyramid of information came to us through whatever sources. Now, you increasingly see people supplying information to those that were on the top or directly having access to information of experts instead of relying on secondary, tertiary or quaternary, et al sources.

Keeping information away from those who could improve would be similar to preventing organisms from adapting. They could never meet the demands of competition and change, never become better, and die out. I see open information as the intellectual version of adaptation. If only one person had control of information... they damn well better make sure they're always right. If they messed up, they'd screw a lot of folks up. Best to be on your game so that huge sticker you charge is worth it. Problem is, sometimes it's not (ever paid for something and hated it? ::cough Windows Vista cough::)

As for the 600, well gee I think they're pretty, lest the 6 door model, and not sure about the rear vent deals, but I'd have to mortgage my home, sign my life away and become an indentured servant to some (hopefully) attractive cougar for whom I could keep 'company'  :D

Hopefully Karl would not offended. I don't know. I don't know anything about the 600, or many other things with Mercs. I do understand you being upset about price inflation.

Sorry for the long post, I have a tendency to rant sometimes, but that particular quote struck me.