News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Got a free car today!!!

Started by 500eguy, 30 May 2008, 04:28 AM

alabbasi

Yep, PB is right though, W114's are a hoot to drive but they can rust like nothing you ever see (ask me how I know). I just recently picked one up also. A w114 280CE with a manual 4 speed, ski racks, electric sunroof and sunshine floors.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

500eguy

ohhhh that sounds nice! a 280ce with a manual trans must be a hell of a lot of fun to drive! is a euro spec car?

alabbasi

Yep, here's the story --

So last week was an interesting week. I picked up another Mercedes Benz, this was a Euro 73 280CE with a 4 speed manual. Nice car with Bosch D jet and 185 hp. It's in Seattle which is 2300 miles from me, so I'll pick it up when the weather cools down a bit.

It needs some serious rust repair but runs like a train. Manual Euro spec cars are a very rare here so this is a nice find.

Here are some pictures:

I also sold one of my cars, the 280SEL 4.5. I just had the seat leather re-trimmed and it looked like a million dollars. It also ran like it was worth a million dollars. I sold it to a German Gentleman who makes a living bringing cars back to Europe from the UK. He bought the car for a Gentleman in Spain.

It's sad to see it go but it's nice to see it go back to Europe.

Sold it for $5300, I spent about three times as much restoring it over the past four years. I figured that it had to go because I had to focus on the 6.3.

$5300, that's 2150 GBP, sucks.

Lastly my daily driver, a 97 Mercedes Benz E420 had some A/C issues. Not fun when it's close to 100 degrees outside. I wouldnt care myself but this is the only car I own with A/C and I need it to keep the lady happy.

The shop is in an industrial part of town with a rock quarry close by and 18 wheelers rolling by constantly. No homes and no retail just factories, warehouses and automotive shops.

I was about to leave when I saw a young dog with no identification. There are lots of Ferrel dogs in that area but this one looked hungry but tame. He let me walk up to him but shook like a leaf every time an 18 wheeler would roll by. After about 30 minutes of hanging out with him, I decided that I needed to take him home. If he wasnt going to get killed by an 18 wheeler, he could have been picked up by people who would fight him. It happens here.

Anyway, as big as he is, he's a real coward and is petrified of my little 10lbs min pins.  All he likes to do is follow me around and sit by my feet. I have some flyers out there and an ad in the local rag. If he isn't claimed by the end of the week then i'm going to vet him and keep him.

My Mechanic who has been in that area for 20+ years tells me that he sees dogs like that all the time and he doubts that anyone would claim him.

Here are some pictures:

It's interesting walking him and the other two dogs. They are yappy and set him off because he wants to do the same. But man is he strong!
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

CraigS

Yes, the weakness of the US dollar is providing a good market for Europeans ! Everyone I have spoken to here in Germany is saying the same thing - and when something is 50%+ cheaper than their own currency, you can understand why so many European buyers are in the US. Many of the 6.3's from the US are finding their way here.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

500eguy

that 280ce looks like a winner, it will be great with the rust removed:), i have 3 of my cars in the past few months to a guy in berlin and a guy in Holland. I just sold my 500SEC euro for $6,800, had to sell it because i am trying to get something else.

alabbasi

Yep, problem is that W114's rust like you wouldn't believe. I have no idea what is under the carpets.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

John Hubertz

Due to the fact rust never stops - the car is quite like one of those relationships that has the beauty of being permanently compromised from the beginning.  Think KINKY man, kinky!!

Luck of the Irish 'tis!   Got to kiss the lass in her natural but caught something that bit the wee shilelah!!

(got laid but caught the clap)

Thus - I suggest incorporating some of these elements....

PS:  Wow on being the true Savior for that fine intelligent sensitive dog.  Sadly, only two or four-legged nuts can love and live constantly with loud noises and a really good dog suffers in such an environment.  (Bangs head on large drum that is also his tabletop)  I of course, LOVE loud noises..... 

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

alabbasi

John.... I am truly confused  :) but It's good hearing from you. Ken has been performing wonders on your 6.9 in recent days. I think he may be done by August.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Big_Richard

alabbasi

PB, thanks for the kind words, this dog is truly amazing. I found out that he has heart worm so he needs to go for some serious treatment. I hope he pulls through and I plan on keeping him.

A couple of years back I bought John's Euro 6.9 (black with tan leather). The car has serious rust but runs well and has good suspension. Ken is a handy body guy, he bought the car off me and is currently restoring it. The W114 you see in the picture was his old car that he sold to another MB enthusiast who then sold it to me. It's like one big happy family
You can see Ken's car here: http://www.w108.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Ken78-69
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.