News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

GM crash test video

Started by Big_Richard, 09 July 2009, 05:25 PM

Big_Richard

unsure if this thing is Australian or not, hopefully not as its a complete and utter POS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJl2aZMN4MU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2F

TJ 450

Looks like a Commodore to me.

To be fair, it is not known what speed this test was conducted using.

Even something more substantial than a VB/VC Commodore will end up like that if hitting a wall head on at 100km/h for example.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

They look like Commodore nub caps.

Anyone recognise the RTA logo on the side?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Gab

koan

Yes, it's Holden Commodore (VB), which was european Opel Rekord with front from Opel Senator.
This movie is very old and I saw it a lot of times with a lot of stupid comments  ;)
But the true is simple - some quote from Wikipedia:

"This test was conducted on 9 June 1992 by the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) as part of a test series to commission the Crashlab test facility in Roseville, New South Wales, Australia. The test was of the facility's drive system, not the actual car which had the tail shaft removed, 300 kilograms (660 lb) of sand ballast placed in the footwells and boot and a 75 kilograms (170 lb) ballast dummy placed on the rear seat. This was supposed to represent a worst case scenario."

Big_Richard

there appears to be absolutely no passenger compartment strength what so ever, I'd put money on it that a w116 would NOT pancake like that in the exact same test.

KenM

Looks like the crumple zones have done their job beautifully....maybe this is one car where riding in the boot is not such a bad idea.
Now, who do I know with  a commodore who might like to see this???

koan

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 10 July 2009, 04:30 PM
there appears to be absolutely no passenger compartment strength what so ever, I'd put money on it that a w116 would NOT pancake like that in the exact same test.

Can we test yours PB ? But only after its finished.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

Quote from: koan on 10 July 2009, 07:42 PM
Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 10 July 2009, 04:30 PM

Can we test yours PB ? But only after its finished.

koan

I was waiting for someone to say that ;)

My car wont be for driving when its finished, it'll be sealed in my garage and a plasma mounted on the wall infront of it, while a force feedback steering wheel is connected to the real steering wheel and pedals. That'll be the only driving it'll do...  ::)

oscar

Quote from: Gab on 10 July 2009, 04:22 PM

koan

Yes, it's Holden Commodore (VB), which was european Opel Rekord with front from Opel Senator.
This movie is very old and I saw it a lot of times with a lot of stupid comments  ;)
But the true is simple - some quote from Wikipedia:

"This test was conducted on 9 June 1992 by the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) as part of a test series to commission the Crashlab test facility in Roseville, New South Wales, Australia. The test was of the facility's drive system, not the actual car which had the tail shaft removed, 300 kilograms (660 lb) of sand ballast placed in the footwells and boot and a 75 kilograms (170 lb) ballast dummy placed on the rear seat. This was supposed to represent a worst case scenario."

Good find Gab! 

I had to laugh at some of the comments though.......
demonstration of GM's pantented "golf bag high speed colision cushioning system."This system ensures any golf bags stored in the trunk will escaped unscathed in the event of any front end collision :D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Bandolero

I think you will find that this crash test was "faked".
They weakened the bodywork and welds so that they would get a great result.
If you notice the slo-mo version, the rear pillar has been modified. There is a gap between the pillar and the bodywork.
There was some discusion on another forum about this and the consensus was that it was a setup.....very funny though!!! ...I love it!!
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]