News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

G-wagen question: Nathan, perhaps?

Started by crayford, 18 August 2007, 04:13 AM

crayford

For anyone in the know about the Gs (or anyone who feels like voicing an opinion  ;) )...

I have the opportunity to lay my paws on a 280GE (the early shape - apologies for not being up on the codes  :-[ ). It's not in the best order, but it's a petrol engine, it's all there, and it ran out of rego two days ago, so we're still in pink slip territory. It's $2000. It may be even less, depending on Mr Crayford's negotiating skills  ;D. It's navy blue (original), and looks the part. And I've been wanting one for ages.

So what's the verdict? Is it a bargain, even if it requires Mr Crayford to do some restoring? It's just so hard to get your hands on one, I'm inclined to get it anyway, but would appreciate some advice from anyone with some to share...

Caroline

gregdeklerk

An early one would be a 460. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have only heard that the 280GE is very heavy on fuel, but then if you drive an old Merc, they are all heavy on fuel. I know they are rare in Aus, so go for it. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell it.

Nutz

By all means get it. I have money set aside for when I finally locate one too.

Also check Benzworld G Forum for a treasure trove of information.

crayford

Thanks, Greg. My 450SE 4-speed manual was $150 a week to fill, tootling around the Eastern suburbs of Sydney only (ie very small area), so as you said, the fuel issue is one you come to accept. The price we pay, so to speak  ;).

I've heard the G-wagens are more common in WA and Queensland than the other states, but they just never come up for sale (which is frequently an excellent testimony to how much the owners love them).

Nutz - we have been looking for about three years, but they get snapped up so quickly  ::)

Andrew280SEL

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

crayford

Well, Andrew280SEL, well may you pull lairy faces, but we're talking a couple of dollars per gear change  :o. But a lot of fun with every one, too  ;D. Back to topic, please... ;)

s class

I don't know that much about G's but if you are keen on the earlier 460 series, wern't the 230 and 280 the only petrol engines available - making the 280 the one to get?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

nathan

heh crayford...
join the ranks...i said join them!
as noted - 460 was until about 90 when the 461 came and then finally 463 (dont get me on about the greek 462 tirade)...came to aus in 83 as 230ge (anyone want to walk faster?), 280ge and the gutsy 68kW 300GD(furthermore, dont get me started on the STT turbo tirade!)

2 grand is a bargain...crap, id buy one almost unseen if it was in wa...rego aside...m110 is cheap to fix...check its an ossie import...most abused gs are now a rusty heap, particularly imports...all ossie gs had front and rear diff locks (the two knobs on passenger side of gear shifter) and some even the power take off PTO (knob behind 4wd lever)...il send more technical info later...
but to summarise, bargain for 2 grand...Gs do rust like hell, around roof, below rear indicators, below rubbers at base of doors...all the rubbers perish and rust as they have metal inside them.

g fuel economy is not bad...i get about 19L/100 and mine is lifted and driving on 32 inch mud terrains...should get about 16-17 with economical driving....not fast vehicles by any means and actually a little tiring to drive around town at times in modern environment...but, you will not see one driving down the other side of the street... that and you have the best off road vehicle you can by from a dealer (Gs wipe their ass on landrovers despite what any patriotic fool may tell you - even 20 yr old Gs!)
best regards
and keep us posted
please feel free to email me
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Brian Crump

Yes Crayford, as Nathan so eloquently phrased it, buy the damned thing - alternatively, send me the seller's contact and I will add it to my collection.
Petrol consumption should never be an issue for us. The 116 was known as the Oil Baron's car so we have little to fear from spreading our carbon foot print a little further - it goes with the territory.
I imagine a G Wagen is just the thing for doing coffee in Berrima. You could wear moleskins and yr RM Williams  - I've got a dog chewed Akubra here if you think buying a new one will tarnish the image.....
Rust? Well, we could have a special section on the on-line Councours for just that feature.
Do it!!
Regards,
BC

crayford

OK, so the general consensus is stop arsing around and buy it. So we shall (Mr Crayford is up in Sydney today to check it over again and do the deal). And once the deal is done, I will reveal the entire story of this G purchase....

It doesn't look too rusty. Well, at least compared to one I spotted not long ago that had the entire lower half of the rear passenger side corner missing (I've heard this is a common rust area). And petrol engine means it should be fairly easy to replace the engine if required, or perhaps beef it up with a bigger unit from a W126 (Mr Crayford is thinking G500 here  ::)). Is that an option? In dark blue, it looks very smart (I really didn't want a beige or yellow one). I don't think it has the flared wheel arches, but perhaps we can find them (even overseas). My other option was to buy one in the UK and have my sister bring it back, but after the (previously mentioned elsewhere) Vauxhall Omega incident, I decided she was unreliable  ;). Also, the UK ones seem to be extra-rusty (as you would imagine), so may as well grab a bargain here.

BC, I think I will certainly look the part in the Southern Highlands. Will need to purchase some sort of horizontal-stripe Canterbury-type brand rugby top (as all the soccer mummies wear them here), and obviously some RM Williams and moleskins. Will also require a quilted vest, a brown Oroton hobo bag, a large keyring of my initial, and a couple of Cavalier King Charles spaniels to throw in the back behind a dog guard. And you will have to call me Lisa or Sally or Trinny. Once this transformation is complete, could one of you please come and measure me up for the straight jacket, and swap my quilted vest for a padded cell...

As for the carbon footprint, well frankly, I refuse to walk around wearing recycled paperbags on my feet to avoid leaving one, so I'm with Jeremy Clarkson (my hero and dream lover - it's OK, My Crayford knows) on this one. I am no eco-mentalist, nor shall any stop me from driving my car. And if any get in my way, I shall just give them a little shunt with my new G-wagen (with anti-eco-mentalist bullbar, which I'm allowed to have as I live in the country, where the council doesn't try to tax you for it  ;D ).

nathan

crayford,
you read my mind...i have  few papers currently on my desk as im looking into the 500 transplant into the G from a 126...im wondering whether one can transpose other stuff like the abs discs (ive had enough of rear drums)...a more potent power steering pump would be nice...

i cant recall which survey it was, but a couple of years ago, the G was deemed the worlds most environmentally unfreindly vehicle to produce...i think whoever did this survey can stick it up their backside - i still have my G 24 years after it rolled off the line...how many other heaps have come and gone in that time?  and any vehicle that is good enough for arnie (and from the same home town), is good enough for me
good luck and keep us posted
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

116Benz

Aww Crayford! love it...you deserve a G Wagon. I cant imagine you in one of those nasty U.N inspired toyotas
Quote from: crayford on 18 August 2007, 04:00 PM
BC, I think I will certainly look the part in the Southern Highlands. Will need to purchase some sort of horizontal-stripe Canterbury-type brand rugby top (as all the soccer mummies wear them here), and obviously some RM Williams and moleskins. Will also require a quilted vest, a brown Oroton hobo bag, a large keyring of my initial, and a couple of Cavalier King Charles spaniels to throw in the back behind a dog guard. And you will have to call me Lisa or Sally or Trinny. Once this transformation is complete, could one of you please come and measure me up for the straight jacket, and swap my quilted vest for a padded cell...
Sums up our soccer mum lot here.. Except there's 1 or 2 ML's in the car park...

crayford

OK, deal pretty much done. G-wagen secured for $2000. Is going to need a lot of work, but it's still a good buy to find a petrol engine G at that price.

Particularly as we have been interested in this car since it was first advertised 3 years ago (in the same condition) for $10500  :o :o. Then we looked at it again last year, and told the owner we would only give him $3000. He wouldn't take it, so we left it. Then four days ago, Mr Crayford receives this mysterious phone call from, who else, the G-wagen owner, who will now take $2000. So we have effectively saved $8500 for a car that has not deteriorated in any way. I guess it sometimes pays to bide one's time... ;)

Andrew280SEL

Congrats Crayford!  ;D

Enjoy running over stuff... ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9