Author Topic: Ferrari 308 GTS - Wet sump vs Dry sump  (Read 44 times)

Max-NL

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
Ferrari 308 GTS - Wet sump vs Dry sump
« on: 17 June 2017, 02:47 PM »
I know I know, I couldn't be in a more wrong forum to ask this question, but still   ;D .

I had an argument with my father whether or not his Ferrari 308 GTS carburetor had a dry sump system or a wet sump system (he owned it in the 80's so he wasn't sure anymore.) So after some searching we found out that his had a wet sump system as it's noted that all carbureted GTS are wet sump. But we also found out that the carbureted GTB's had a dry sump system. And after reading this we had a question, why are the carbureted GTB's dry sump and the carbureted GTS wet sump? You'd think they would use dry sump on both to keep using the same engine.

And again I know I should ask this at a Ferrari forum, but I thought I'd first ask here before registering to one just to ask one question.
1971 350SL
1975 280S
1975 450SEL 6.9 #140

nathan

• W116 Addict
Re: Ferrari 308 GTS - Wet sump vs Dry sump
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2017, 04:37 PM »
Hi Max, ill ask my old friend Magnum PI and see if he knows. :)

I learnt an interesting fact the other day though. if I remember right, the prancing Ferrari horse indeed was from Stuttgarts city crest.  A former German airforce fighter was shot down by an Italian who put the crest on the Italians plane as a mark of respect?  He then took up racing and after he died car racing, the family asked Enzo Ferrari to use it when he was looking for a logo. Hence, a Ferrari is really a type of Merc! thats my logic anyway!
6.9 79 #6436
6.9 79 #6290
6.9 79 #6181
6.9 78 #4764
6.9      #3096
6.9 76 #1741
6.9 76 #0902

Scotty

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
Re: Ferrari 308 GTS - Wet sump vs Dry sump
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2017, 08:59 PM »
Hello

I recall Jeff Carter came close to buying a 308GTB - before he ended up with one of three Kremer Porsches I'd love to find - and made the comment that it (wet or dry) depended on whether the car was an Australian delivery or private import (European). Carter claimed the European cars were dry sumped for climate reasons. My understanding of the GTS is that it was more intended for the US market, and for climate reasons a wet sump was deemed favourable, but it may have been for US regulation reasons also. I also am unaware as to options listings - but can't imagine a manufacturer (even Ferrari) offering a choice, but I'm happy to be corrected.

As ever, asking these types of questions is like asking ten people to tell you how to make the perfect coffee - you'll always get fifteen replies!

Scott