News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Fangio and Brabham 1978

Started by Des, 24 August 2007, 07:08 AM

Des

Fangio and Brabham 1978

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc5U6wTfUw

I've started really getting into this classic motor racing, bought a few CMC 1:18 models, been reading a bit about the silver arrows and the glory days of Auto Union, Mercedes Stream liners etc...

pretty amazing stuff.

oscar

Thanks Des, that was awsome.  It was like watching a Spitfire or Mustang at an airshow.  How about that sound. 

It's refreshing to see cars without sponsorship covering every panel and the commentators talk about the drivers' positioning in the seat whilst driving.  No computers, or paddles.  Manual changes and did you see Fangio handling the steering wheel.  Great stuff!!!
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Martin 280s

I don't enjoy motor-racing at all! It is dso bland and soulless but, that was a joy to see!

Grant V

Des, that was absolutely rivetting - I really enjoyed that!

The 50's is my favourite racing period, from F1 through to saloons, when men were men and motor racing was dangerous! As Osacr said: no computers, no paddles AND NO SEAT BELTS. Those boys all had big balls. Modern F1 is just so synthetic by comparison.

I was interested to see Bob Jane in the Maserati 300S. I don't know much about him, but a friend sent me this pic some time back of him behind the wheel of a Finny back in the 60's:

"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

s class

Grant what I also see in that photo is no tyre walls, and spectators right there able to get close to the action.  Rallying is the only form of motorsport that can still provide this.  I love the thrill - I have to get my 'fix' by spectating at our local rally season at least a few times a year.

Guys, check this out :

This is great fun.  Lots of period footage from 1894 up to the 50's.  A lot of the early stuff has dubbed sound effects, but otherwise its good viewing.  I highly recommend it. 

I bought it a few years ago here : http://www.motorfilms.com/

CHeck them out - they have lots of VHS and DVD of early racing.  I think some of those DVDs have your name on Grant  ;)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL