News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Dutch import - Customs how long?

Started by daantjie, 20 March 2018, 10:17 AM

w116john

didn't mean to be unkind, but you do see it on other forums, not here though we are too obsessed with the w116.

i am hoping to get mine back this week it has been away having the rear panel replaced, sun is shining and the days are getting long (this side of the world anyway) so good weather for the 116

all the best

homernorth

Quote from: daantjie on 23 March 2018, 09:51 AM
Guys not to belabour this issue too much as I realize it might seem I am moaning for nothing.
But...
Compare for example the "de mininis" rule in the US.  It is in place to enable private individuals to import duty free up to $800 USD per import, from 1 entity, could be individual or business entity.  Can you imagine how much less bogged down their Customs dept is because of this?  And they say Germans are efficient...
I wish we in Canada had this "de minimis" rule but sadly not.  But we have duty free entry of all cars and spare for vehicles over 25 years old, so this is a big plus.
All I am saying is there is a smarter way to do things, and "Europe" seems to be stuck in the dark ages.  Why do you think the EU is failing.? Too many individual interests.  It will never work.
If you compare how NAFTA works, it is light years ahead of anything going on in "Europe".  Again, the EU idea is a joke , a pipe dream and it will fail eventually.  The Germans for one are sick of carrying the rest and I do not blame them.
Rant over 8)
If it's not too late, could I ask where you got that $800 quote from? So far, only solid quote that close I've been able to find was $900 from https://www.wcshipping.com/netherlands for importing from Netherlands to USA. Cheers.

rumb

I think daantjie is saying you dont have to pay import duty on the first $800 of value that you bring to the USA.  It seems you are asking about the cost to ship a car from Netherlands to USA. Is that the case?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Yes to confirm the $800 USD limit is the first $800 USD duty free import into the US.  It has nothing to do with the shipping cost, rather on duty free entry. It is called the "De Minimis" rule if you want to google it.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

Homer,
What car are you importing?

Photos?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS