News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

driving across australia in a w123 - pics

Started by nathan, 30 January 2010, 03:42 AM

nathan

hi all,
after 5 days, i finished the 3900km from perth (western oz) to melbourne (eastern australia) where i will work for 6 months. the white 230e performed flawlessly, with the AC working well and adequate acceleration for overtaking roadtrains.  i did it with a mate, some days heavier than others.  we slept at various places, including the heaviest thunderstorm i have evert encountered - on the nullabor in a tent!!
the nullabor drive (from West Oz to South Oz) was the best fun of all. the latter drive not as interesting to me, including the great ocean road (reportedly one of the best in the country). we took in the 12 apostles by helicopter which was cool.  then arrived in melbourne peak hour friday which traumatised me. it was crazy crazy driving at that time and i am normally pretty sturdy.  unfortunately i rewarded the 230 with some curb rash when i pulled into the real estate agent in melbourne - the first time i have ever done this. damn.
anyhow, attached are some pics (WGB, from the d90 with 18-200!).
i will make a youtube vid with some video and better pics when i move into the rental, get power and unpack my better computer.

1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

awesome photos.

I have driven that road about 8 times in my life and I'd like to do it again some time, but I now no longer own a vehicle so it's not likely to happen any time soon ;)

robertd

Fantastic photos Nathan, what a great adventure.

It would be good to catch up while you are over here.

There is an open invitation here at Swanview,

Cheers Rob
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

carl888

Yes, what a fab trip and pics Nathan, welcome!  Sounds like a good excuse for a W116 get together in Melbourne.  Who is planning to be at the MBCV annual concour on the 28/2 at Flemington?  I'll be there with the 280SE.

Regards, Carl

Nutz

What the hell happened to that car up ahead? Fell out of a cargo plane?

motec6.9

Hi Nathan great photo's really nice drive across the nullabore have done it 3 times still remember that there is no cheap fuel between Norseman and Ceduna PS planning to go across after Christmas with 6.9 to go to Canberra ;D
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

flutes

Welcome to the east coast Nathan.  That's a drive I've always wanted to do but have never found the time/justification.  Maybe next year...

I've always found the Great Ocean Road to be better heading Melbourne > Adelaide direction (but haven't done all of it) and to be significantly better in a sports car rather than cruising.  There's also a very strong correlation between amount of traffic and enjoyment of the drive.  Hire a Lotus Elise when it's quiet and try again - you'll have some fun!
Matt
1977 450SEL

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Nutz on 30 January 2010, 07:46 AM

I think it's a left over prop from the movie "Mad Max".  :D
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

SELfor50

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 30 January 2010, 05:24 PM
Quote from: Nutz on 30 January 2010, 07:46 AM

I think it's a left over prop from the movie "Mad Max".  :D

Hahah.. no doubt.

Great pic's Nathan.  How did you snap the electrical storm veins so good?  Was the lightning just crazy frequent and you kept snapping?
Very very sweet shots.  Full resolution on an A3 print would look amazing on a wall i'm sure.  8) 8)

I haven't actually done any driving from East to West or the other way.  Only North and south from Canberra.
People have recommended the Great Ocean Road heaps, but the same people haven't done the Nullabor.  Was it the scenery that was more appealing across the nullabor as opposed to the GOR?  More character in the landscape, or was it the actual driving was more enjoyable due to conditions?

Re- a Melbourne Get Together, can I propose 2 weeks time?  If everyone is available that weekend.
I'll be down in Melbourne for AC/DC (driving the 690SE down).  Will probably head down Friday after work, get in late.  But the Saturday will be open for a catch up before heading to the concert on Sat night.

What do you guys think?

oscar

WOW Nathan.  You make quite the storm chaser, I'm impressed.  8)  Great pics and what a drive.  Over last summer hols we were going to drive to Adelaide about 10hrs away.  We got 2.5 hrs down the road and it was so flat, hot, desolate and boring we turned around and came home.  I thought to myself if the Nullabor was anything like that I'll never do it.

FWIW I didn't like the Great Ocean Road, too many bends when I'm used to straight roads.  Judging by the number of motorbikes on the road that overtook us I'm guessing it's a popular makeshift sprint track.

Speaking of mad max, I read and saw photos in a Unique Cars mag last year of Max's coupe was still out near Broken Hill.  Stripped to a shell but still there with a few identifying marks from the movie's props dept. 

1973 350SE, my first & fave

nathan

heh guys,
first internet in a few days as havent had access (im now at federation square).
a get together would be awesome, or even a brief meeting! keep me posted (should have net in next week).  i may also be working the weekend on the week of feb15, not sure if this clashes.

took the lightning pics with delayed 30s exposure which is why you see a couple of bolts in some. the pics in full size look pretty sweet, altohugh cant really access anymore as laptop run out of power and have no electricity presently!

i personally liked the desolation of the nullabor oscar! weve got trees and stuff in WA so GOR not that exciting to me! nor the windiness for that matter!
anyhow, 1 minute left on internet
gotta go!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

TJ 450

It sounds like an epic trip, Nathan. 8)

I await to be able to download the pics. I'm on dial-up, as the scheduled upgrade to ADSL 2+ didn't go as planned, and I've been without it for over a week... only just found the 56k modem. ::)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

TJ 450

Now I'm able to view the pics... awesome.

In particular, that storm was very well captured. Extremely impressive.

That wrecked car looks like it fell from outer space. :D

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

kru0042

Nathan,

I think I know why your country is the most desirable destination for immigrants the world over... such an amazing, beautiful, and interesting country!

My favorite car is of course my W116 450 SEL, but my daily driver is my trusty old W123   '85 300D, so the pics struck a chord. I am curious to know what you meant by a "roadtrain" and having the acceleration to overtake it. Is this a freight train? I am a conductor on the Canadian Pacific Railway and have heard amazing stories of the "longest trains in the world" going over the enormous stretches of open country in the interior of Australia.

Your post brought me hope for the spring which hopefully will arrive here in Canada sooner than later. Right now it is slush and ice and snow etc...

Cheers from the land of ice and snow!!

Super Einspritz Lang

flutes

Kru - a road-train is Australian term for a prime mover that has two or more trailers behind it.

Australia being a remote place there often aren't train routes, so these are quite an efficient means of transport. I think it's a term used in the US, but not as much.

It's not unusual in the remote areas of WA to see a roadtrain with three trailers.  I think only 2 trailer ones are allowed anywhere near the cities though.

These need to be passed as quickly as possible - driving down the wrong side of the road trying to pass a three-trailer raodtrain that's going at 100kmh it's pretty easy for another car to suddenly be coming the other way...
Matt
1977 450SEL