News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Diving into a 6.3 with crossed fingers

Started by 500eguy, 10 April 2008, 04:14 AM

500eguy

Ok guys, Somehow a 6.3 has popped its ugly head up and i have the chance to buy it. The owner wants $3,700 for the car. I am really up in the air on purchasing it. My head says no and my heart says yes.

The car has been sitting for at least a year, maybe more. It is currently:

-Not running (owner says it is the fuel pump)
-The car is on the ground (i hear that is normal after sitting)
-Car has minimal rust( very fixable)

That is basically all i know, i looked at it and it is stored indoors in a dry place. It is Black on Black. I am afraid because i know 6.3 Parts are out of this world expensive, but i think at that price it may be worth the gamble. I am probably going to go down before i buy it and connect a battery and try to crank it. I assume i will have to flatbed the car home because of the suspension. Anyone have any words of wisdom? is this a reasonable price for a legend?

oscar

Quote from: 500eguy on 10 April 2008, 04:14 AM
It is Black on Black.

Well there's your answer right there ;D

Nah I got no idea.  Definitely cheap but it sounds like the bits that cost the big $ need revamping.  I wonder what alternatives would there be to stray from the original and put normal suspension and swap out that fuel pump arrangement.   Or is the car too good to tamper with.  CraigS posted a price on how much the pump cost rebuilt.  But for the price of the car, it's got "experiment" written all over it ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

500eguy

haha, well there is a brand new fuel pump from buymbparts.com and it is like $690. I don't mind putting money into the car, i know it is nothing but a bottomless pit, i am concerned with the suspension. I "Hope" it pumps up after starting...  i want it badly, esp because its black on black.

nathan

jonny,
this thing will bury even you!  i looked at a 6.3 a whilst back which tempted me for a while (and this was half decent at 12500 AU). there is a reason they are so much scarcer than 6.9s and its not just their age.  parts are horrendously difficult to come by and expensive! i would advise against such a purchase personally...if it was 500 bucks no sweat,,,otherwise, dont jump in unless you can afford a nice one.  

id rather see you with a nice 6.9 which you could probably get form the mainland for that price

good luck
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

500eguy

I know, practically everybody i have been talking to has been steering me away. i am know they are crazy to work on and crazy expensive for parts, and at $3,700 that is a lot of money to dish out on a car that is not running.

bahnstormer109

its just engine parts that are expensive the rest of the car is straight forward.

ive put new airbags in my 109.

it sinks coz i dont drive it much, but when i want to drive it, it pumps up and goes.

the air suspension is a great system and people are unnessarily scared of it. the bags are easy to get and the valves are easy to get reconditioned.

just get a good honest mechanic who wont rip you off because of the HYPE of the 6.3

after all it is just hype.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Grant V

Listen 500eguy, BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!

Even if you only own and drive it for a short while, this is one of motoring's icons.

Contrary to what you say here, parts for the 6.3 are easy to come by and there is a lot of backup in terms of suppliers and services. Check out www.m-100.cc, the International M100 club.

The air suspension is pretty reliable and the air control valves are the most likely cause of the car dropping. It could be other factors, but this is the usual cause. A company like Star Motors in New York can overhaul these valves for you (there are three) and then the car shouldn't drop an inch for weeks. I taught myself how to overhaul these valves on my 600 and have done a number of sets for guys in our local club.

Go for it and buy it. The values of 6.3's are starting to soar so you shouldn't loose. And the first time you drop the hammer from a street light, you'll understand why it's such a great car. Remember that this was a full luxury sedan that could do 0-62mph in 6.5 seconds... in 1968. Car and Driver magazine referred to it back then as 'merely the greatest sedan in the world'. They should know.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

s class

500eGuy, if I had the money lying around, I would buy it with EYES OPEN.  But I think you already had an idea that this is going to cost money.  The way 6.3 prices are going, you won't loose on your capital if you decide to resell in a couple of years.  And I do think the black on black is alone almost a good enough reason to get it.  Just make sure the paint code IS 040, and that this is not a colour change job. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

500eguy

I will investigate this car more. I am going to hook a battery up to it and see what it does then. I think i am going to chance it and buy it, after all i know that its an icon, i need to experience it. I mean Steve Mcqueen had one! thanks for everybody's words of wisdom. This has helped a lot!

alabbasi

Those cars are starting to creep up in price, if you can get it , get it.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

OzBenzHead

Johnny: The full complement of suspension air valves (two front axle, one rear axle, one master) can be rebuilt for about $1600 in AU; new air bags are a couple of hundred dollars each.

My understanding, from friends who have them, is it's only engine parts that are outrageously expensive.

I say go for it! (But then it's not my money.)   :D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

torana68

yes its the engine but maybe also the Auto, the air bag system no where near as bad as the 116 system price wise, things like the air compressor can be reconditioned (well.. they used to be , and its just a compressor) plus it would be my preference in a car, They are somewhat faster than the 6.9 and I think a lot cooler, got any pickies?
Roger

CraigS

I am now back in Turkey, so have more time to read all the posts !

I agree that the 6.3 is GENERALLY cheaper to repair than a 6.9's suspension. There really is not that much to it. The expensive bits are things like fuel injectors, which are about US$1800 EACH ! But then, you would have to be dead unlucky to have a faulty one that can't be cleaned. Engine mounts are reasonably expensive, but not over the top (totally) and you should change them as the engine will not sit correctly and will cause other problems. You will also need to do front and rear suspension bushes, timing chain and tensioner, etc. You should also consider changing the distributor to a Pertronix or similar unit as the twin points go out of tune fairly quickly. If you do get it running, and get to drive it, don't be concerned about harsh gear shifts - that's normal. It's not your conventional setup, as there is no torque convertor. You may need a fuel injection pump rebuild, which can be done by any good diesel pump rebuilder, but make sure they know what they are doing. The cams are not available and will have to be made if it is too worn, and that will not be too cheap. If it just needs a rebuild, count on around $1500 - $2000.

For $3700, I would take the risk. There will be more than that in parts even if a total disaster.

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 10 April 2008, 07:29 PM
Johnny: The full complement of suspension air valves (two front axle, one rear axle, one master) can be rebuilt for about $1600 in AU; new air bags are a couple of hundred dollars each.

My understanding, from friends who have them, is it's only engine parts that are outrageously expensive.

I say go for it! (But then it's not my money.)   :D
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

WGB

Given the appreciating value and the historical interest I would be in like a shot.

Bill

500eguy

Ok guys, i will probably be picking up the car this week. I have a question, since the car is not running and the airbags are deflated what is the best way of towing it? i am thinking flatbed, how will the car clear the ramp?