News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Current Performance Cars vs Classics

Started by oversize, 31 January 2013, 06:07 PM

John Hubertz

Quote from: Tony66_au on 03 February 2013, 07:31 PM
I used to see W140's regularly even S500 and S600's although they were rare but thinking back I havent seen one now for nearly a year."

Now that you mention it I haven't seen a 140 lately as well - and there used to be quite a selection.  Always amused me to see the "bulletproof glass" mentioned in the local ads for resale.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

ZCarFan

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 03 February 2013, 07:55 PM
Quote from: jbrasile on 03 February 2013, 05:16 PM
One of the worst stories I've heard, and I am not sure if this happens in other parts of the world as well, but MB Brazil has destroyed, that's right, destroyed,  thousands if items including brand new engines, gearboxes, steering boxes, body panels, interior items, windows, etc... for accounting reasons. Everything had to be mangled beyond any hope with a sledge hammer, burned and broken as to become trash and never be used again. Some of the items included Pagoda engines, M117's, M110's,piston sets and the list goes on and on. All of it had been in stk for decades at exorbitant prices...

Being a fan of the Universal (the finned W110/W111 station wagons), I read where a very low mileage W110 200D Universal that was used by The Classic Center as a parts runner was put into storage. A few years later it was put on auction to the employees. No one had an interest in it, so it was driven up onto the compactor and crushed with tons of old inventory.

The same fate is supposed to have happened with a few cars The Classic Center has restored!

What makes that interesting about the 200D is that employees of the Classic Center did not save it.

Tony66_au

Quote from: John Hubertz on 03 February 2013, 10:57 PM
Quote from: Tony66_au on 03 February 2013, 07:31 PM
I used to see W140's regularly even S500 and S600's although they were rare but thinking back I havent seen one now for nearly a year."

Now that you mention it I haven't seen a 140 lately as well - and there used to be quite a selection.  Always amused me to see the "bulletproof glass" mentioned in the local ads for resale.

They are getting very light on the Ground John, A few notable inclusions are some mass market Aussie built GM - Holdens and Fords now very light in number as well and yet 10 years ago you couldnt spit without hitting one and yet the model after is still alive and well on our roads proving that some combinations just wont last despite peoples best efforts.

Funnily enough since my first post in this thread i have seen a solitary W140!

On the back of a tilt tray with very obvious fire damage to the front of the car.

oversize

I can't understand why people (or companies) would prefer to destroy things rather than sell them to someone who actually cares and make some money in the process....

A W140 would have to be an auto elect's worst nightmare!!

Of course I'm biased, but this just proves to me that the W116 is a great car and arguably the last true MB classic.  Sure the new hero cars are great, but from a maintenance point of view their days are numbered.  In 10-15 years (maybe less) most new cars will be viewed as a disposable conveyance and nothing more than a more expensive appliance, like a TV, fridge or washing machine.
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P