News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Changing tires can be dangerous

Started by Casey, 25 December 2011, 11:44 PM

Casey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9MFEjeeg4 heheheehee

My 300CD fell onto the brake rotor (fortunately didn't seem to damage anything but bent the metal guard behind it), and the 300SD nearly did the same thing, but managed to shove the wheel back on enough to catch it just as it started to slip.

Both when changing a rear wheel.  Don't trust the parking brake; chock the other tires.  I've also taken a liking to jack stands. :)

On the bright side the lift at my garage has safety locking mechanisms that engage when the car is fully lifted.

Casey

My 450SEL arrived with this surprise:

Apparently somebody threw a 40-ounce beer bottle out of a car window.

Big_Richard

Big_Richard

TJ 450

Yes, safety first and indeed never trust the hand brake as the only measure.

I always envisage that the car is going to crush my head before I proceed under... One shouldn't forget safety measures then. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Squiggle Dog

Oh, I need that speed bump on my street! I actually sort of have one already. The road is sinking into the ground from the rainwater and now unless you crawl along, you'll hit your bumper or oil pan on the road. Almost every car that drives by hits it and makes sparks. The road is covered in oil and coolant trails, too. It's really hilarious when a ricer car comes speeding down the road and hits it. The cars will make a loud crunch noise, almost jump into the air, and leave oil streaks down the road. Occasionally, I have to clean up debris so I don't run over it.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

skatinblind815

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 26 December 2011, 02:58 PM
Oh, I need that speed bump on my street! I actually sort of have one already. The road is sinking into the ground from the rainwater and now unless you crawl along, you'll hit your bumper or oil pan on the road. Almost every car that drives by hits it and makes sparks. The road is covered in oil and coolant trails, too. It's really hilarious when a ricer car comes speeding down the road and hits it. The cars will make a loud crunch noise, almost jump into the air, and leave oil streaks down the road. Occasionally, I have to clean up debris so I don't run over it.

Gotta Love good ol' Tacoma :-)

Tony66_au

I've always used wheel chocks and buy the big arse units for trucks, You cant trust handbrakes at all nor the Park pin because of the body rigidity on these old girls.

When you jack at the factory points the whole side gets "Light" and not only can they roll away but lateral shift is also an issue so I usually use 2 sets of chocks on the opposite side to where im jacking.

Axle stands I can do without unless im working under the car for any length of time and then i will evenly raise the car and place the stands under the jack points.

Ive had my Wagon slide 6 inches sideways on concrete over the time it took to wind the jack up and basically jacking the right rear causes the left rear and right front tyre to become "Light" so the weight shift is all to the opposite point to where you raise the car.

if I have help I now raise the front or rear at the same time with the collection of Mercedes factory jacks I have.

I am also interested in drawings or a series of really good pictures of the factory stands which use the same jack tubes as the jacks do and sit alongside the car so i can build 4 of the buggers as im currently using 4 tree trunks about 30 inches high with sculpted bits to secure the wheels (They sit 1/3rd of the way in a U shape I chainsawed out of the tops of the stumps) but every so often one disappears and ends up in the wood pile in small chunks lol.

Yesmar

the jacks that come with cars are just for emergency. like a quick roadside fix. but if your going to do anything, please use jackstands. at home i only use a floor jack and jackstands.
this happened to me while changing a tire on the side of the road while i was letting a car back down, you can see mid way it bent and dropped the car. it scared the shit out of me.

please use jackstands. i wont crawl under a car wwithout them
- Ramsey

s class

You cant use that type of jack on a W116 - the sills are not designed for it. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Hemersam

I don't change flats; I call AAA. My mother didn't raise no fool.
Hemersam

Yesmar

Quote from: s class on 23 May 2012, 09:32 AM
You cant use that type of jack on a W116 - the sills are not designed for it.
yes i know. this was with another car. i still dont trust any of them.
- Ramsey