News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Casey's Garage

Started by Casey, 17 October 2011, 01:30 AM

Casey

Some new pictures...I moved my last car there and did some weeding out front:

1980sdga

Now pick a car and get to work  ;D

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 12 December 2011, 06:31 PM
Now pick a car and get to work  ;D

I've been working.  But the furnace stopped working last night so I'm not working any more until that's fixed!

Casey

Finally got the garage tidied up and into a good working state.

Went up today with intention of doing an oil change in my 450SE, and thought, "boy, it would sure be nice to be able to have all six cars in here at once and still be able to use the lift".  Well, turns out, with enough clever maneuvering, that wasn't too hard to pull off, though it does mean the front of a W116 is within a few inches of hitting the 200D to be in lifting position (in the picture it is NOT that close, as this was later and I preferred to have ability to walk between the cars):

I reckon I could also manage to carefully squeeze in another car between the bays on the left, so in theory I could fit seven cars in the garage at once.  Not sure how useful that would be since getting the back ones out is already rather a challenge, but it's nice to know that there's a couple different ways I can fit six cars in the garage.  Three against the back wall only works with W123's though - a W116 would be too large.

Hey look, I can actually manage to do work in the main work area now, after moving stuff around:

I took up my thrift store radio and record/cassette player and speakers to have some entertainment (hard to resist records when they're under a dollar at the thrift store):

My main tool storage area, between the 200D and back wall (yes there's still a couple feet of walking width there):

Spare parts and to-do boxes (these are actually organized, but I need to build some shelves instead).  Picked up a W123 sedan rear window in great shape with a like-new gasket on Christmas Eve.  The coupe rear window and windshield in the picture need new gaskets to install:

Pulled this starter from an '85 300D today - it will be replacing the bad one on the 200D, though I think I may rebuild it first - this is *after* scraping enormous amounts of sludge off:

And lastly, a Christmas present to myself - a set of four unpainted hubcaps.  They're slightly used but in very good condition.  I think a good deal for $173 shipped, considering completely unused ones go for over $500:

My other self-present was six battery tenders, five of which are in use at the moment.  In order to make them all actually useful at once with the batteries still in the vehicles I need to work some more extension cord magic.

TJ 450

Well done... Just about every type of repair could be done in that workshop I reckon. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

Well the "pile of crap along wall" has grown considerably and has been a continual source of stress.  I don't even know what's at the back or bottom half the time.

My employer recently moved to a new building.  In the process, they decided to get rid of all their old furniture (Ikea stuff, less than 1 year old) and buy all new uglier furniture for the new office.  I have been VERY BUSY last week dismantling desks and loading them on my car to bring home (been using the '74 450SE as my "truck").  I managed to bring home a total of 26 desks (!!) that would otherwise be in a dumpster now.

Here's the sort of abuse my car was subjected to repeatedly.  Who needs a roof rack when you have a blanket?:

First I improved my home office a bit...

Before:

After:

Here's work-in-progress at my garage, where I've got 5 assembled so far:

Lots more to do...but it's coming along.

And for laughs, my new and "improved" work environment, where I'm no longer allowed to bring my own comfortable leather office chair that I've been using for the last year and a half, since apparently having a consistent color scheme is more important than ergonomic health:

oversize

Now that's gunna be one hell of a study room!!!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Casey

More progress:

Plenty more where that came from:

carl888

:) fantastic, a place for everything, and everything in its place!  I really like your workshop, it has that sleepy old school look about it with the timber benches in the work area. 

Big_Richard

Hemersam

My, my, you are certainly one busy bee.
Hemersam

JasonP

Well, that's interesting. An Australian watching an American rip-off of a British comedy.

Hmmmmm .........  ???

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Big_Richard

JasonP

I liked the British ones.

:)
1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

ZCarFan

I'm going to show my wife the pics and suggest a garage....  She has so many ways to say no, it will be fun to hear them enumerated and including expletives. :)  #1 NO, #2 H*** no, #3....

That's a lifetime of projects in there if you are "gainfully" employed.  I have engaged in the old "what would you do if you won the lottery" discussions.  Naturally, my answer without hesitation is "retire, immediately".  I have been asked if I would not get bored.  No, absolutely not as I have projects stacked up all over just like the pictures.  If that runs out, I have spent a lifetime training for further acquisition.