News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Casey's 1982 300CD

Started by Casey, 29 July 2011, 08:42 PM

jbrasile

Wow Casey, what a nightmare....

I feel bad for trying to talk you out of buying that other 300CD you looked at... maybe I was too quick to judge the car and it might have been a good one after all...

With regards to the red car, I would just stop putting money into it and either sell cheap or part it out. If you do part it out  I am sure you will recup most of your money if not more.

Tks

Joe

Casey

Quote from: jbrasile on 23 September 2011, 05:24 PM
I feel bad for trying to talk you out of buying that other 300CD you looked at... maybe I was too quick to judge the car and it might have been a good one after all...

With regards to the red car, I would just stop putting money into it and either sell cheap or part it out. If you do part it out  I am sure you will recup most of your money if not more.

No worries Joe - I value you sharing your opinion - I can choose to listen or not as I please.  The seller stopped responding or I might have pursued it anyways.

I'm not sure how I could make $2000+ selling W123 coupe parts - it has suspension issues, rust, water damage inside, etc.  It's basically a pile of problems.

Casey

So I noticed when looking up new parts prices that the radiator had a 126 part number, so I took a good long look at the radiator, headed to the junkyard today, and found that the one on the W126 300SD's is the same as far as I can tell.  I pulled one off, but rusty water came out of it.  I was going to get it anyways, but ended up finding another one that looked a lot less dirty.  When I pulled it, bright green antifreeze came out, with no rust particles.  So I got that one instead. :)

Hopefully it's back to driveable condition soon.  Seems like an utter pain to change radiators though, since you end up leaking oil and transmission fluid in addition to coolant.

I think then I'll take it to a mechanic to see if they think that it's piston knock or maybe a timing chain-related issue or other thing that's repairable.

300SDude

This poor one has been for sale on craigslist here in our area for a couple months now. The guy only wants $700 for it......

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2647044123.html

Yours looks really nice, even though I am not very fond of red, the paint looks fabulous.

300SDude

Casey

Quote from: 300SDude on 16 October 2011, 10:33 PM
This poor one has been for sale on craigslist here in our area for a couple months now. The guy only wants $700 for it......

Wow, for a diesel coupe that's a stellar deal!  They're pretty rare...  I'd totally buy it, sight unseen, even though it's not a turbo!  But shipping here would be pretty spendy, and I've got all my money invested/committed in other cars already.  If you want to grab it and store it for me for a month or two until I can afford to have it shipped, there'd be some profit in it for you. :)  The seller of the 230C might change his mind, though, in which case I'll have funds available sooner.

Casey

She lives!  The W126 radiator fit perfectly.  I think I discovered a major cause of my oil leaks in the lines going to the oil cooler.  They're coated in caked dried dirty oil with wet oil covering that, and they felt entirely too soft/fragile.  Didn't mess with them too much for now.  I'll grab a decent set off a W126 first before tinkering with them, should be the same.  Just got tap water filling the radiator for now, but it's holding a healthy temperature.  Tomorrow I'll get a coolant flush at an oil change place and then probably drop it off at a mechanic near where I work to diagnose the engine knock, then just drive the 450 for a bit (which also needs an oil change, *sigh*).

I've had enough car work for one day.

Casey

Yours looks really nice, even though I am not very fond of red, the paint looks fabulous.

It didn't at *ALL* when I bought it.  Just some detailing supplies and a non-clearcoat paint surface to work with. :)

300SDude

Quote from: Raptelan on 16 October 2011, 10:44 PM

Wow, for a diesel coupe that's a stellar deal!  They're pretty rare...  I'd totally buy it, sight unseen, even though it's not a turbo!  But shipping here would be pretty spendy, and I've got all my money invested/committed in other cars already.  If you want to grab it and store it for me for a month or two until I can afford to have it shipped, there'd be some profit in it for you. :)  The seller of the 230C might change his mind, though, in which case I'll have funds available sooner.

LOL, like I said, it's been for sale for a couple of months now. I am sure it will still be there in a couple months as well.

You may be able to email the person and work-out some kind of deal with them. It certainly doesn't look like it is in their way or anything. It seems to be sitting in weeds by an out building.

300SDude

Ilike300sd

Maybe it's just due to a bad picture but that brown car on craigslist looks like a basket case to me.  Hood looks screwed up, back springs all sagged out.  I avoid these types of cars like the plague.  I guess if you were buying it for parts it might be o.k.  I would really worry about whether the maintenance has been done on a car like that.  They probably just ran it and ran it and didn't do any maintenance (total assumption based on little info.). 

There was a similar one here locally and the guy ended up taking it to the junkyard.  I looked at it and it made me sick.  Rust, exhaust manifold, broken this, broken that, etc., etc.  The closer you look, the worse they get.  It's better to pay a little more and get something well maintained IMO as the amount of money you have to put into it defeats the benefit of the initial low purchase price.  I guess it's these kind of poorly kept cars that make us really appreciate the ones that were taken care of.  I am staggered by how well some people take care of their Mercedes.  Many are almost like new.  Quite a few in moderate to good condition out there as well.