News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Casey's 1982 300CD

Started by Casey, 29 July 2011, 08:42 PM

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 07 August 2011, 05:43 PM
Do you think it feels more powerful because the car is lighter? Is it lighter?

Sounds like you're livin' the life!

I don't think it's because of weight.  I ran a can of Diesel Purge through the 300SD and it clogged up the fuel filter with debris from the injectors - runs a lot more powerful now.  I'm going to get more, and rebuild the turbocharger, etc.

I try to enjoy life, for sure. :)

WiSeGuYY

HI RAPTELAN , i don't think it is equiped with turbo charger and my mercedes mechanic said it does not worth keeping.

Casey

Quote from: WiSeGuYY on 09 August 2011, 07:39 AM
HI RAPTELAN , i don't think it is equiped with turbo charger and my mercedes mechanic said it does not worth keeping.

Why not?  I think your mechanic is probably wrong.  Look up OM617 on wikipedia - it's widely considered to be one of the most reliable engines ever put into a passenger car.  It's the one that Mercedes put into the C111-III that set many world records at the time.  Your mechanic probably just doesn't understand diesel engines or how to tune it.  Don't listen - it's a great engine! :)

You could add a turbocharger, too. :)

Casey

Took off the front bumper and got the rubber strip re-secured.  Some of the plastic tabs are broken but so is one of the mounts for the bumper shock (and the shock itself which has fabricated steel pieces (basically giant washers) holding the broken shock mounts onto the frame), so I'll need to be replacing the bumper at some point if I want it proper.  For now at least it looks perfect on the surface.

WiSeGuYY

THANKS for the advice , he usually works on gasoline engines - you are right --but i also find the sound of the engine very loud , i read about the engine in wikipedia and read carfully what you pasted on here and also SDG  both praise this engine , but i put my eyes on a straight 6 model 1992  3.0 liters .

though i know you are fond of the 617 diesel engine , still appreciate your thoughts.

REGARDS.

TAREK

Casey

Quote from: WiSeGuYY on 10 August 2011, 04:56 AM
THANKS for the advice , he usually works on gasoline engines - you are right --but i also find the sound of the engine very loud , i read about the engine in wikipedia and read carfully what you pasted on here and also SDG  both praise this engine , but i put my eyes on a straight 6 model 1992  3.0 liters .

The engine is louder than a gasoline one, that's for sure - but here's things that help with that short of a rebuild:
* Replace your hood underlining pad.
* Replace motor mounts.
* Replace engine shocks.
* Run a couple cans of diesel purge through and/or replace injectors.

I'm not sure how noiseproof the W108's firewall (especially at it's age) is, you might want to see about adding a layer of soundproofing to it.  In my 1980 300SD, the engine is loud from the outside, but the interior of the car is pretty quiet compared to other Mercedes diesels I've driver - I think the W116 just has better firewall insulation because I still need to replace the engine shocks and hood pad myself on that car.

If you do go with the gas engine, good luck.  Always important to follow your own dreams so go for it if that's what you want!  But the old engine has value, so don't just throw it away - somebody would love to buy it! :)

WiSeGuYY

It IS a bit tricky , the new engine is longer with 17 cm =6.8 inch , so hope it fit, second the diesel engine if i took it out will sadly have no value since i need to put the new one on the license means the old one can be only considered parts .
But Raptelan I'm making a RED PIG - that means i need a fast engine and sport LOOK -the diesel hardly can give that image .
the car still in cut and paste body work i guess will be finished next week .

REGARDS

TAREK

Casey

Quote from: WiSeGuYY on 11 August 2011, 07:27 PM
But Raptelan I'm making a RED PIG - that means i need a fast engine and sport LOOK -the diesel hardly can give that image .

Think again, friend!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ljEyq5AiQ

Sure looks sporty to me!  (If you look around youtube you can find a lot of amazingly fast supercharged diesel Mercedes racing)

WiSeGuYY

AMAZING RACES , THANKS for posting , made me more confused LOL.

REGARDs
TAREK

Casey

W124 300D turbodiesel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S31vCdcW1QY

I used to have some better videos saved on a different computer when I had a W124 300D...

Check out the forums over at http://superturbodiesel.com !

Casey

Did a diesel purge and changed the oil with Mobil 1 Delvac tonight.  Damn thing drives even faster now.

Also patched up the leaky brake vacuum lines connected to the brake booster cable (there's a lot more things in there than the W116!),  I think it's working better but the brakes are still a lot stiffer than on the W116.  Maybe it's not working at all and I'm just imagining that it fixed anything.

Sadly, the horrible loud knocking noise remains.  I don't know what it might be or what to do about it.  It does not go away with more revs, it just gets faster.  The engine seems to run pretty smooth, but the LOUD banging sound is very disturbing, so I'm not driving it still.

Advice appreciated - maybe I'll take a video and post it in the mechanicals section...

Casey

Engine was running low on oil and developed a nasty knocking sound that never goes away and is consistent with the RPM's of the engine.  Ran diesel purge through it, cleaned/rebuilt the injectors, replaced the valve seals, and cleaned up the engine a fair bit.  Still knocking...so it's been sitting in the garage most of the time.  :-[

Replaced the half-size crappy battery that I kept draining out of juice when cranking a lot to get the diesel flowing through the injector lines after having them removed with the one from the 450SE, which is pretty new and seems good even though at one point the 450SE wouldn't crank until I got a jump start (am thinking it was something else as the battery is dated 11/10), as I bought a new OEM Mercedes battery for the 450SE.  Sure does crank a lot better with this battery than the small one!

Had a thought today of transplanting the 450SE's engine in and making a 450CE, which never existed, but would be pretty damn pimp.

calvin streeting

Quote from: Raptelan on 21 September 2011, 02:53 AM
Had a thought today of transplanting the 450SE's engine in and making a 450CE, which never existed, but would be pretty damn pimp.

i remeber reading some where of putting a V8 in W123 ... that would move so fast it wouldn't have time to rust :)

Casey

Decided to not care about the piston slap, and drive it to work to save miles off my main car.

Radiator broke apart right where the big hose connects at the top, I barely managed to drive it home which probably wasn't the best idea given that there was no effective cooling system anymore.

What a piece of shit.  The guy I bought it from told me he had been driving this car daily before I bought it - there's just no way that could have been possible.  So many problems...

I'll see about finding another radiator when I get back from this weekend's travels (taking the 300SD).  Maybe the one off the '78 280CE or 300SD at the junkyard will fit.