News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Car cleaning

Started by Mforcer, 20 February 2007, 10:49 PM

Mforcer

What does everyone use to clean their cars?

For the body, I have been using a micro-fibre cloth and water and generally avoiding soaps. I have been fortunate that, not only has it not seen much rain, the car is kept in a very clean garage. Does anyone else have experience with the micro-fibre cloths?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

Micro wipes are excellent. Personally I make up a mix of a neutral soap + eucalytpus oil disolved in methylated spirits and use a big sponge followed by a silicone squege (spelling?) and wipe it down with an old nappy. Much better results than from a proprietary car wash and still ph balanced without salts or phosphates.
I also have tank water so I can wash the cars despite the restrictions.
My experience of places like Car Lovers is that their sprays leave a dull residue but they are useful when the ML has been off-road.
Regards,
BC

oscar

When I care and do a polish etc,(rarely)  I use meguiars everything.  But my favourite when there's just dust or water marks is to use terry towelling ie towels, with meguiars clay detailing spray.  I don't use the clay, just spray then wipe, then spray and wipe again.  It's effectively a waterless carwash.  Pleasant smell, it leaves a shine and you could slide over the boot afterwards as if it's been polished.

But my paint isn't the best.  When I get lazy, I high pressure hose the lot and use truckwash and a broom at work.  Still looks fantastic.  As for the microfibre, I've trashed one cloth getting exhaust stains off the rear.  Yes it worked but when my car gets a respray in the next 10yrs or so, I will take better care of the exterior.

For the time being, it's comforting not having to worry if the paint surface is treated the way it is.  Still looks remarkably good.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Oscar - who has been sliding all over your boot? I know things are interesting in Griffiths (I have a cousin there who is a DI) but boot-sliding??? ??? ??? ??? ???
BC

gregdeklerk

That waterless car wash works well.

s class

My 280SE's paint is so stuffed that I just use the heavy duty car wash down the road.  The paint used to be tatty, but after years of working for a power utility its go a lot worse.  When they light up a coal fired boiler, fly ash tends to settle down around the plant.  Its normally fine if it lands on the car as it just blows off.  But sometimes when I'm on site at night, and there's dew on the car, the ash sticks - and its highly acidic.  The paint is now so bad, especially on the roof that I've used a green kitchen scourer in the past to get it clean.  Need I say the car needs a respray?  I just don't feel inclined to respray the car until I'm sure I won't need to take it to site again.  Yeah my W116 is more of a battle axe than a concours exhibit. 

But don't worry, my restored Ford and 450SL get treated propery.  I usually use Rally shampoo and then chamois dry.  Occasionally use a paste wax - how often depends on how much exposure the car has had.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Vad El

Mercedes-Benz Classic Cleaning Set Complete (B6 605 04 23)

Includes: Mercedes-Benz Classic cleaning concentrate "Car Bath"; Scratches remover "Cleaner Fluid Medium"; Paint pre-treatment "Cleaner Fluid"; Glass cleaner "Crystal"; "Leather Cleaner", "Leather milk", Tire cleaner "Pneu"; Deep cleaner "Plastic Care"; Paint care "Quick Finish"; Premium wax "Saphir", Rim cleaner "Wheel", Towel (40 x 67 cm), large, white; Microfibre-Towel Interior, beige; Microfibre-Towel Exterior, blue; Car Duster; Wax Pad, black; Polish Pad, white; Nylon Bag large (52x19x21cm;WxHxD)
Mercedes-Benz W116 450SEL '1979, armoured by Ernesto Pavesi S.p.a Milan Italia
Chrysler Crossfire "Limited" 3.2 Roadster '2006

Mforcer

What will they come up with next? A part of me want that kit, even knowing that I would never use it all! Wash AND wax? ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

I have an excellent idea!! Mforcer, if you purchase the kit, we can have a 116 Sel-help day and you can direct the valet process. Me, I'll make G and Ts and keep the cold ones cold....
BC

Vad El

Mercedes-Benz Classic-Center sell all parts of this kit separately. No problem.
Mercedes-Benz W116 450SEL '1979, armoured by Ernesto Pavesi S.p.a Milan Italia
Chrysler Crossfire "Limited" 3.2 Roadster '2006