News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Can anyone identify this car?

Started by Des, 21 March 2007, 04:50 AM

Des

Can anyone identify this car?
These are screen shots taken from a movie, from the sounds of the car it is a big block motor.
I cannot quite read the badges on the car, the badge on the right hand side roof pillar appears to read XR with a T behind it?

Nutz

Des

I just had a look at a few on ebay US, did these cars come out with anything bigger than a 351?

just looked at one called an "ELIMINATOR"

;D  :D

Nutz

The 351 Windsor and Cleveland are not to be taken lightly  ;)

Des

Quote from: Nutz on 21 March 2007, 05:05 AM

didn't ford make a 460 though?
there is not substitute for cubic inches

Nutz

Quote from: Des on 21 March 2007, 05:09 AM
Quote from: Nutz on 21 March 2007, 05:05 AM

didn't ford make a 460 though?
there is not substitute for cubic inches

Yeah,but that was more of a truck engine.

Papalangi

At the risk of starting something, it's a 1969 Ford Falcon in wolves clothing ;)

When Ford upscaled the 1964 Falcon into the Mustang, Mercury needed one too and in '67(?) they got the Cougar.

They used to be a dime a dozen but I haven't seen one in quite a while.  I see Sixties Mustangs and Falcons much more often.

A friend used to call them electric razor cars but I thought they were cool.  The Mustang California Special came with Cougar tail lights.

I currently have a Ford with a 390.  It's 1974 F250 Super Cab.  Can you say poor fuel mileage?

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Des

People always talk about fuel consumption, "V8 use too much fuel" or "too much power"
Michel I'm sure can back me up on this, fuel consumption is going to be the cheapest part of "any" car ownership, sure a 6.9 isn't a VW golf diesel, but by the same token a Golf diesel isn't going to give me the same driving experience or driving satisfaction.

I personally wouldn't care if my 6.9 only got 2 miles to the gallon, same for any hobby car I would own, its about enjoying yourself, the experience,

Spare parts, vehicle services, maintenance etc.. is going to cost me a lot more than a tank of gas every 2 months.

ah you say, what if you drove it everyday?
sure my weekly fuel bill would basically double, I do about a tank a week in my W123 230, which gets me about 300k's, however I drive the guts out of it, roar the motor, foot flat on the floor, hammering it through corners, and up some rather steep hills.
Same in my 6.9.....I would woft along the roads, relaxed, stress free, knowing that when I need the extra power it is only a stomp on the right foot away.

Papalangi

I figure somewhere between 8 and 12 MPG in the truck.  It has three tanks for a total of 60 gallons and can run them dry in a month just driving to work and back.

The 250C tops out at 15 MPG and the 450SEL can get as much as 17.  But like you say, the return on the investment, at least for the MBs, is worth it.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

kenny

I had a high school buddy with a then new 68 Cougar with 351 Cleveland motor. 3 speed (I think) manual. With 3 passengers aboard the 1-2 shift felt like the front wheels were coming off the ground.

I had a 67 Cougar later with a 289 or whatever was the size of the small Mercury V-8. No AC or frills, it was pretty light and it would scoot. 

Later on, Mercury tarted them up with luxury stuff not unlike what Datsun did with the z cars and pretty much in my mind ruined them.