News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Cam profile/spec for 617 turbo

Started by ckamila, 30 March 2012, 10:59 PM

ckamila

Looking for proper spec/profile for 617 turbo cam:

I have a 1985 w123 with strange power issue, more so in the lower speed range in the morning but always under powered.

Engine was rebuilt around 70 - 80K ago in 2000 by PO and has had a string of owners since with me around 6th or 7th. Compression is good and even (380 or better as i recall), i replaced injector nozzles and calibrated, new filters and tank screen, even swapped in a recalibrated pump. Car will go 80+ MPH on the highway, suffers from poor mileage - 19 MPG combined or less. Prior to the IP swap the engine had more shake from 900 - 1400 rpm then it would smooth out a bit but never quite right, always seemed a little off.

The car is VERY slow to start in the morning at 40 degrees going up a medium grade hill - slow enough where i could walk/jog faster - my 116 with 160K does not suffer from whatever ails the 123. The only thing i feel could be the problem is the camshaft - maybe they used a poorly reground cam (#11). Last time i adjusted the valves - currently over due - the lobe(s) were worm unevenly to the point i got different results at the front or back of one or more cam lobes. As i recall 2 lobes were pitted on the face. Engine is not properly balanced, not too bad, but could be better with a little shake, its more the sound it makes or rather doesn't make, very mushy sounding and un-diesel like. Someone used the term "beeswax" and that fits.

I just read an article from a cam shop in Canada http://www.coltcams.com/html/tech_tips/index.cfm and they explained how cams were reground, correcting the shape of the lobe peak to establish original profile or custom per clients request. This got me thinking that for whatever reason the original was rebuilt - 85 123's had problems with the trap oxidizers where the trap and often turbo were replaced (heard stories of carbon from clogged up trap braking loose and damaging turbo blades etc), run low on oil...whatever, maybe the cam was replaced or messed up. The engine is not original and who knows what was done.

thanks

chris

If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K