News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Beware of using DHL

Started by Big_Richard, 12 June 2009, 04:50 AM

Big_Richard

My last order from neimoler unfortunately came through DHL, I've never used them before and will ensure i never use them again.

The usual procedure is that the items go through the post and bounce back to the post office when you're not at home to take the delivery. You can at your leisure pick the items up on a Saturday morning. On the other hand with private couriers they expect you to make another appointment during business hours OR drive out to the middle of an industrial estate in the middle of no where, only open in business hours OR have the item left unattended at your front door for anyone to steal.

I refuse to deal with couriers usually for this reason and only arrange postal orders with anyone i deal with, unless i absolutely have no choice but to use a courier.

What annoyed me this time is that a week after receiving my order I've received in the post a BILL for $47.30 for "quarantine processing fee". I've never had to pay for such bullshit in all my years of private importing, through couriers or through the post. What is this crap, and what happens if i just throw the letter in the trash?

>:(

nathan

quarantine fee? sounds like crap to me...what are your parts made of, fruit? wood?
send them a letter and ask what this is about
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

Quote from: nathan on 12 June 2009, 06:57 AM
quarantine fee? sounds like crap to me...what are your parts made of, fruit? wood?
send them a letter and ask what this is about

A quick google search shows that this particularly unethical, unreliable and unprofessional organisation tries this scam on around the world, and you are selected at random. Most people will blindly pay the hoax fee, fearing the threatening letters from the corporate giant, but little can be done to those who don't, especially when its issued after the item has been delivered.

The invoice has been incinerated and further correspondence will be binned. I will ensure that i do not use their service again and urge others to do the same.

oscar

So you did get the products?  They're not holding them for randsom are they?  Are they charging or are they blaming Customs.

I'd keep these bills and take em to Fair Trading.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

I missed a DHL delivery one time and arranged a next day delivery which didn't turn up. Had to go to the middle of nowhere to collect because they wouldn't try a third time and ended up sitting around for three hours because they couldn't and didn't find my item. They finally condescended to a third attempt at delivery which was really kind of them considering that's the business they are in.

I think the worst was a $100 US worth of small parts sent UPS, I had to go to the customs office, pay a fee to have it clear customs and then duty and GST as well.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

Quote from: oscar on 12 June 2009, 04:40 PM
So you did get the products?  They're not holding them for randsom are they?  Are they charging or are they blaming Customs.

I'd keep these bills and take em to Fair Trading.

I received the package, and then a week later received the bill. Its an absolute scam because customs do not charge for inspecting packages, mine was never even opened either. Customs leave leaflets in boxes that they inspect too, which there was none.

oscar

Quote from: koan on 12 June 2009, 04:56 PM
I think the worst was a $100 US worth of small parts sent UPS, I had to go to the customs office, pay a fee to have it clear customs and then duty and GST as well.

That should not have happened to you koan, especially in more recent times when the duty/GST fee is waived for packages under $1000. I've had only one package opened by customs with a friendly note saying so and the customs branded tape taping it back up.   No complaints from me and no fees nor would I expect any.  I can understand a charge if they have to fumigate or even quarantine something for a period of time but on the subject of inspections, that's what taxes pay for IMO and you shouldn't have to pay for being the unlucky one having their package inspected at random or if suspect.

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 12 June 2009, 06:30 PM
I received the package, and then a week later received the bill. Its an absolute scam because customs do not charge for inspecting packages, mine was never even opened either. Customs leave leaflets in boxes that they inspect too, which there was none.

PB, I googled the topic too and there's plenty of angered people and plenty binning the bill.  I read a few comments to the effect that DHL are "commissioned" or "empowered" or "deputised" to carry out inspections on behalf of customs.  That just seems wrong.  I dunno, I'm just biased against privatisation of some areas that should remain under Gov't control.

But more to the point, your package wasn't opened  :o  There's no case for the charge if there's no proof that they did anything to the parcel.  Send em a bill back for compensation for angst you've encountered upon receiving this bill. ;D

1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

Quote from: oscar on 12 June 2009, 07:33 PM
That should not have happened to you koan,

It was a few years ago, several other packages arrived at the door via other couriers with no problem, just got caught with the UPS one, no idea why.

I seem to recall the folks at the customs hall thought I got a rough deal but because it was already docketed I had to pay. Just somebody having a bad day I suppose.

When I ordered a S/Steel exhaust system from the US I expected it to get caught in the system but it came straight to the door. Two huge irregular packages wrapped in brown paper, almost as tall as tall as the delivery guy, I would have thought that might have piqued someone's interest but no.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

In regards to the 1000$ AU cap on tax free imports,

A year ago, I had my complete new leather interior shipped from over seas in 5 boxes spread across 5 days and incurred no additional costs, at all! Its all still sitting in the spare room, uninstalled.

There are ways to cheat the system ;)

Big_Richard

I look forward to seeing whats going to happen now.

I agreed to no terms or conditions that empower them to charge me additional fee's after the delivery has taken place.

I agreed to no terms or conditions in using their service at all, my seller used them and i was completely unaware.

This soon will not be my address so they can well and truly GAGF, they have no other identifying information other than my name and an incorrectly formatted address which was cut and paste straight off the mailing label.

s class

Quote from: koan on 12 June 2009, 04:56 PM

koan

You guys are fortunate - this is the norm in South Africa because we are governed by exchange controls.  Small items (say less than about $500) come through the local postoffice, where you pay in duties, taxes, clearance fees before being given the parcel.  Bigger stuff, like a shipment I got from Germany this week, arrive at the customs warehouse.  I have to employ a clearing agent to clear it for me.  So in such cases, on top of the duties, taxes and clearance fees, I pay a customs agent handling fees, plus a 'disbursement' fee, whatever that is. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL