News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Being Irresponsible

Started by Grant V, 19 August 2007, 11:40 AM

Grant V

Went down to the 'in-laws' farm in the Free State today, which is a 3 hour drive from Pretoria. The Free State in know for is wide, straight, flat roads, and I took my Porsche 928S to its maximum on a quiet road close to the farm:

"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

116Benz

I dont see the irresponsible part anywhere...I do see the tripmeter reading 928-9 though? thats not irresponsible...that cool!

CraigS

How coincidential was it that your trip meter is reading 928 !

I would have thought you could wring a bit more out of it than that. My Saab Aero would get up around that 240-250 mark.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

s class

Is the car still happy at those engine speeds given its mileage?

Looks like fun though

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Brian Crump

Irresponsible? No. That is just a value judgement that we don't make on this forum.
Fun? That sounds more like it.
Regards,
BC

Andrew280SEL

No, as you can see Grant we're all a bunch of rev-heads here who also have the ability to cruise as well, what a good balance eh?

So, your not irresponsible Grant...at least not in our eyes... ;) ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

frikkie

Quote from: s class on 19 August 2007, 02:21 PM
Is the car still happy at those engine speeds given its mileage?

Looks like fun though

My 280SE is quite happy spinning at 6000rpm, despite having 304 000km on the clock... ;)
Having said that, I won't do it regularly, or for long periods though. She is an old lady after all... :)

Andrew280SEL

Boy I'm naughty then...I revved mine out quite a bit and, well, look in my sig.... ::)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Grant V

It's quite clear that you are the guys that my father warned me against - you're all a VERY bad influence, and you should be discouraging me from this sort of juvenile behaviour, not encouraging it!!!!!

P.S. the tripmeter actually shows 328 - it's the reflective light off the cluster glass that makes it look like 928, but it's cool anyway.

The pic was taken by my boyfriend - sorry guys, but I don't have the balls to hold the wheel with one hand at this speed and snap away with the other.

At this sort of speed, you can feel the steering getting a little lighter and the car a bit more twitchy. I must admit that it was only a short run, but I was really gripping the wheel and concentrating. Thoughts of a blow out never even entered my mind, otherwise I wouldn't even have done it.
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Brian Crump

A blow out at 240kph is probably little worse than a blow out at 200kph.
Good tyres that are free of damage rarely blow.
I have only ever had 1 tyre blow and that was on the Hay Plain at an appropriate Hay Plain speed. The Flavia did not deviate from its course....
For those who don't know; the Hay Plain is a wonderful stretch of boring road that can be endured only by driving at high speed. Unfortunately, the state government defecit is being turned around by the posting of speed cameras on the Hay Plain....why don;t they go and catch speeding pushbikes instead?
Regards,
BC
BTW; keep up the good work Grant. ;D

oscar

Coincidence BC, The only time I've had a tyre blow out was just off the Mid Western on the Kidman Way to Hillston.  130km/h on a 40degree summers day driving an F250. Rear tyre went BOOOM!! and was shredded to bits.  Scariest bit of motoring I've ever experienced.

Grant, you don't go by the callname Nightrider do you?  I was just wondering after your romp in the Porsche you then found a 450se in Free State to go hooning in. http://youtube.com/watch?v=1OJmUgRuFR4 .  nice voice over too  :D

FWIW, I've never been over 180km/h.  240km/h would be change pants time.  I'd make a crap racedriver.
1973 350SE, my first & fave