News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

AutohausAZ - now a rip off.

Started by Big_Richard, 14 October 2009, 06:19 PM

Big_Richard

yep, along with the tarted up website that doesn't actually offer any more than the old one, you'll now notice that international shipping starts from a rate that's double what it used to be.

I will never be ordering from there extremely limited and mostly aftermarket range again. No wonder they offered this 50% saving on postage recently, to disguise the price hike, it wasn't a saving at all, it was a last chance to experience the postage price prior to the hike. Goodbye autohausaz.

Makes the 75$ minimum postage fee for genuine MB parts from world impex (armed with an EPC) much more reasonable.

s class

Yep, autohaus has also disappointed me recently.  International shipping is basically not an option with them - I will only consider having them ship to my brother in NY. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

Even the new format turned me off. ;)

At the end of the day, I don't think it's much of a problem. We can get genuine MB parts at very competitive prices from PB's recommended supplier and perhaps the Classic Center USA. I arguably don't think much of some of the aftermarket brands, most notably Karlyn and some Meyle products.

Unless it actually says "Made in Germany", I can assure you that it is not. There is some very sneaky marketing involved here. "Germany" by itself means nothing. ::)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

shock horror, made in china perhaps ?

received an email responce,

USPS is no longer offered because its labour intensive, ie, someone has to goto the post office to send it off.

UPS is more expensive, but faster and more reliable.

in short, deal with it, this is how it is, and this is how its going to stay.

bye bye autohausAZ  ::)

not that it matters that much, i was running out of things to purchase from their limited range. I suspect Tj's 126 restoration is going to feel it the worst though.

flutes

Seems every time I check the site there are fewer and fewer parts for w116s.  Surely that's an opportunity for another company...
Matt
1977 450SEL

TJ 450

Made in China is a possiblity for some parts.

Yes, the 126 restoration. I may have to buy genuine rings and bearings, but I'll have to carefully consider which is the best option.

Edit: I just worked out that it is slightly cheaper to buy the W126 bottom end components from AutohausAZ than World Impex, however it's genuine vs. OEM.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

I seem to have missed something.

Autohausaz.com now offer two international shipping rates

1) The standard one - USPS or whatever has doubled but that was about 18 months ago.
2) The second one is called "Express Mail International" and is offered after you actually place the order.

This second rate is about half the USPS rate and is about the same as the "old" UPS rate.

The last package I received cost me $76.20 in postage and arrived in 8 days.

I agree the catalogue is rapidly shrinking - but I think that has more to do with the aging of the car and less general interest in buying parts.

Bill

oscar

Whaaat, dissing the haus? I understand where you're coming from Pat but I can't complain really.  There's still enough there to rebuild and service M110s and M116/7s and I suppose they're the only category of parts I've been interested in lately.  I've only dealt with them 4 times but they've been good to me with shipping from $37US with Express Mail International (small order) a few months ago to $80US in 2008 for a large order with Global Express.  I don't know how it all works but bottom line, the overall totals have been pleasing and the service great.  With the Aussie dollar at 92c US I want to put in a order before October ends with all the little bits and pieces and bulkier bits I've avoided in the past. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

craigb

My last parcel about a month ago seemed a little expensive, but when it got here the box was about 10 times bigger than it needed to be and was filled with tonnes of packing. I was going to email them but didn't have the time. There is usually only one reason not to buy from them, and that is postage. It seemed silly for their business that they will miss out because they are posting off this huge box at my expense. Anyway, I am glad someone let them know. I will continue to compare but it makes it harder for them to compete.

The other one I don't get is those that don't international ship regardless. These days they can have their money sitting in the bank before they send it so what is the logic to that?
1980 280s

Tony T

I'm pretty sure that shipping out of the U.S. is priced by weight and not size.
I've received a lot of stuff in waaaay bigger boxes than need be.  :D

craigb

Yep that thought crossed my mind.

So what time did you get to your appointment Tony. You must have been close to 4pm. That road to Stirling tends to bring the boy out in me and fun being chased by another W116. Those Benz people certainly got the formula right when a 46 yo driving this great big family barge gets so much fun driving it like a teenager in an Alfa! Great cars!
1980 280s

koan

Quote from: WGB on 16 October 2009, 01:46 AM
I agree the catalogue is rapidly shrinking - but I think that has more to do with the aging of the car and less general interest in buying parts.

I've got parts not in the catalogue by emailing them.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Tony T

Quote from: craigb on 16 October 2009, 05:10 AM
So what time did you get to your appointment Tony. You must have been close to 4pm. That road to Stirling tends to bring the boy out in me and fun being chased by another W116. Those Benz people certainly got the formula right when a 46 yo driving this great big family barge gets so much fun driving it like a teenager in an Alfa! Great cars!

Got there at 4.03.  ;D
Yes, good fun roads those and I was impressed by how well my 116 handled through there. A manual trans would be nice though............  ;)

Sorry for wandering off topic there. Back to the subject at hand.

Big_Richard

while the USA falls deeper into the black hole that its gotten itself into, and Australia's economy powers ahead like a freight train as usual, (Ha, What recession?) You'd think struggling US business's might actually grasp the concept of 21st century global e-commerce.

but no, oh my f^cking goodness - you live outside of our "world" so pi55 off, we don't want your money. Good day sir.

CraigS

High postage costs are not limited to the US. In addition to many countries no longer offering a sea mail service, the airmail rates have increased significantly. I recently wanted a 30m roll of red 7mm copper core HT lead, and the only place I could find it was the UK. The roll cost 18 GBP, and the quoted freight was 48 GBP. The UK post office no longer handles parcels over 2kg (This was 2.15kg) so it goes to another division set up by the post office (but still owned by them I understand) called Parcel Force. End result was that I had it shipped to a friend of mine in the UK and they will bring it to me. Net result is that the HT lead will cost me A$1.50/metre compared to around A$3.00/mt in Australia and only available in Black.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]