News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Are 124's any good?

Started by gregdeklerk, 14 May 2007, 12:28 AM

gregdeklerk

"She who must be obeyed" wants to part with her 190E because it "has a jerky clutch" and "I want an automatic".

BC, you can post that 124 auto now!!

Brian Crump

Sorry, we sold it and were killed in the rush. The 230E, Miss Muriel to her friends, was a temporary car between the death of the Audi S2 at the hands of a box trailer (ever seen what happens to a motor when the turbo goes through the cam belt? Not pretty..) and the CLK350 which was a special order. The 230E was brilliant and had we room enough, it would have stayed. It was 21 years old and just like the day it left the factory...we entered it in last year's Concours with doing a thing to it and got a commendation - all it had was a quick bucket of water thrown over it 5 minutes before we left home....
Slow. Reliable.Quiet.Comfortable. Now she is keeping company with an S320 and some other modern Benz contraption. So Greg, sorry. Can't post.
Regrets and regards,
BC

gregdeklerk

So you agree, "She who must be obeyed", will love one?

Mforcer

Was Miss Muriel a W123 or W124?

I would certainly look at a W124 as a solid, reliable car. Not all the charm of a W123 but also regarded as the last of the old-school benzes.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

Miss Muriel was a W124. 1986 230E in Thistle Green with Cream MBTex.
So long as Gregette does not want to speed she will love it.
97 kilowatts is not huge....
Regards,
BC

gregdeklerk

She is not into speed. As long as it has power steering, A/C and now "automatic"!!

Brian Crump

All of the above. We found the aircon a bit weak and the system was working OK - it just did not have the capacity for an Australian Summer so you might want to check that out.
Regards,
BC
PS - re the other post, can you send the scones by courier, please?

gregdeklerk

I am looking at a '94 E200, with 224 000km. That kind of mileage on a "bullet proof" 116 or 123 is nothing, but on a plastic Merc, I am not so sure? No service history either!!

WGB

The 124 was the last real model before the quality suffered - I would not call it a plastic Merc.

I purchased an E280 new in 1994 and sold it at 94,000 km in 1998.

Absolutely brilliant car and often wonder why I sold it.

The 24 valve 6 cylinder motors suffer from oil leaks at the front of the motor which may be a front cover gasket or the head-gasket and I never liked the original shockies(Harsh ride and roly-poly handling) - replaced them with a set of Bilsteins and good ride and good handling.

My wife could never drive it as it had Manual seat adjustment and the squab was too long for her and as in the 126 she couldn't push the accelerator to the floor - not a problem if you have the electric seats (Rare in 124's unless you got an E320 or 300E-24 valve).

Always suggested I could replace her with a woman with longer legs but she didn't seem interested in the idea ;D

Bill

500eguy

i love my 124! wonderful car, i would recommend a 124 to anyone.... it is miles ahead of the w210 in terms of quality.

frikkie

124's are excellent cars.

I reckon the W116, the W126 and the W124's really are the craem of the crop in their respective classes and era's.

Brian Crump

124 = Das Klein Wunder  ???
Regards,
BC

gregdeklerk

Quote from: Brian Crump on 14 May 2007, 11:01 PM
124 = Das Klein Wunder  ???

So then what is a 123? It has to be better than a 124!!

Brian Crump

QuoteSo then what is a 123? It has to be better than a 124!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W123
BC

gregdeklerk

Quote from: Brian Crump on 15 May 2007, 12:38 AM
QuoteSo then what is a 123? It has to be better than a 124!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W123
BC

Mr Crump, I know exactly what a 123 is!! My point was that it has to be much better than a "Klein Wunder"!! ???