News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Appreciation for older Mercs?

Started by Des, 03 March 2007, 05:30 AM

Des

Something I have been thinking about lately, I would appreciate other people's comments and thoughts to this, "Do you believe there is a greater appreciation for older Mercs today than what there was 20-30 years ago?"

This is something I really don't know so would appreciate what others have to say, maybe it is also applicable to general automotive hobbyists, what sort of culture existed back in the 70's for people who loved to tinker around with old cars? Old 170's, 220's, prewar MB's must have been a time a dozen, maybe not here in Australia but in Europe? One would imagine after the war anything with wheels that moved would have been highly valuable, maybe we have a higher, better standard of living now that allows people to indulge their passions and hobbies.

Brian Crump

Des, I suspect you are right. As the population grows older and more wealthy, it is able to indulge in discretionary spending and older cars become more popular. There has always been an 'old car movement' but now in Europe, USA and Oz there is more money to spend. So, the MGTC or even MGA gives way to something more upmarket. I believe there always was a small group interested in older Benzs but it seems that is now bigger at the expense of the English cars - which are a cultural part of fewer and fewer of the population.
I go to Europe once a year and am stunned by the interest in older Benzs and their higher value than ours. What I can't understand is the interest in Brock Holdens - although if that was your fantasy when you were young, it is probably what you will buy when you have the money.....
I had always wanted a 450SE ever since I saw one at the Melbourne Motor show when I was at school...and yes, I do wash mine regularly!!! ;D
Regards,
Brian

Danny Berry

Probably!
I think Merecedes have knocked out a lot of rubbish recently. The A and B class, The V class, The ML class, the R class (What's that all about?) and last but definitely least, the mighty VANEO!!!!! ???

When the W116 was built, it was sheer class. I think Mercedes lost it when the first C class came out.
Chrome needs to make a comeback!

Brian Crump

Chrome needs to make a come back? I agree totally. Mind you, between the Silver Spirit and the 450SE I have enough chrome to set up shop. ;D The nice thing about this chrome is that when you polish it, it gleams. If  you were to polish the fake chrome or aluminium of some some cars you would be  left with grey plastic underneath. Oh joy!! ??? ??? ???
In defense of the A and ML I must say both of mine were/are paragons of reliability and efficient transport. I don't want to be 12 hours from home with a load of tired dogs and have to contend with a cantankerous car. The ML tackles snow, mountains and desert with ease and keeps its cool and my composure. Likewise, the 450SE has never once 'failed to proceed' in the time that I have owned it  - and obliged by having its only puncture in the back yard. even then it just gleamed away at the world.. 8) 8) 8)
Regards,
BC