News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

AMG 450SLC Racer - More Info Please!

Started by Grant V, 23 March 2007, 03:36 AM

Des

what a car!,
love the fat wheels and massive wide body wheel arches,

would love something like that for Targa Tasmania,

Brian Crump

Des - Targa Tasmania is one of my fantasies - maybe we should get a team of Ozzies together and do it?
Regards,
BC

Des

re the 450SLC racer, what are the 2 impressions in the boot lid for? a massive rear wing?

Brian, wouldn't that be nice, a classic 6.9 or a 6.3 done up rally car style

oscar

Quote from: Des on 08 April 2007, 04:09 AM
re the 450SLC racer, what are the 2 impressions in the boot lid for? a massive rear wing?

I thought they were dual sub woofers :D

But no.  The same question ran thru my mind and I got no idea (apart from subwoofers)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Nutz

I thought the plugs on the trunk lid were for easy access to fill the fuel cells  ???

oscar

I'll take your answer Nutz.  the 3rd pic, the holes are much larger than the revamped car in the l2nd last pic that has smaller holes plus decal changes.

They're different cars are they? Diff numbers etc ???

James R

Fabulous looking beast ! Looks as if its an automatic too which is odd for a racer.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

s class

I've just bought the 1/2007 issue of Mercedes Benz Classic and in the previews they state that the next issue (2/2007) will have an article on the founders of AMG.  The teaser pic for the upcoming article shows the MAmpe SLC and a 6.3 AMG (red).  I recommed this magazine - not exaclty in depth articles, but entertaining reading and fantastic photography. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

robgee

Nutz guess is correct they were for quick refuelling from large churns almost like milk churns and as soon as the nozzle made contact with the discs you see in the photo the flap opened and sealed around the nozzle it could take on quite a load in a matter of seconds as you can see the opening is about 3 inches across so was the nozzle. :)

Here's a pick of what goes on the end of the hurn and then fits onto the disc you see in the bootlid.

Its called a dry break fuel adaptor.

Here's another shot this one from a BMW Batmobile.

In this last pic you can see similar indents to the 450SLC.

robgee

Danny Berry

The SLC must be the most underrated Mercedes there is. I think they're beautiful, but they're worth nothing!
The only equivalent car that is better is the Jaguar XJC and they're not worth much either.
I might have to get a SLC before they catch on.

Des

Danny Berry

Quote from: Des on 15 April 2007, 05:42 PM
Danny, this has to be the SLC from HELL!

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~shinri/

love it

OH YESSSSSS!!!!  The same lunatic '70's green colour interior as my pimpmobile!

oscar

Quote from: Grant V on 23 March 2007, 03:36 AM
Gents,

I came across this pic and would love to know more about it. I had a Burrago model of it as a youngster, but I have no idea of the story behind it. Was it based on a 450SLC 5.0, or a normal 450?
I have an option on a 450SLC sans interior for ZAR10 000 and was thinking about turning it into this. (yeah, yeah, right! Between the 6.3 Racing replica, the 600 restoration, the racing Finnie, blah, blah, blah....Deliver me from this evil!!!!!!!!!)

I know this is an old thread, but Grant, if you're interested and somehow have the funds, the above car is for sale......... do it, do it, do it. ;D
Imagine this original 1:1 MB-AMG version.  Beats Burrago hands down 8)

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/13785/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5Bpointer%5D=0-1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BFILTER%5D%5Bmake%5D=27

Grant V

Oscar,

Thanks for this and I'm thrilled that you think I fall into this sort of tax bracket.....

Alas! For it is not to be.

I'll have to build a replica at some stage down the line. Nice pics on the link, though.

(P.S. Xmas is just around the corner, so if you were wondering what to get me for the festive season...)
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room