News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

AMG 450SLC Racer - More Info Please!

Started by Grant V, 23 March 2007, 03:36 AM

Grant V

Gents,

I came across this pic and would love to know more about it. I had a Burrago model of it as a youngster, but I have no idea of the story behind it. Was it based on a 450SLC 5.0, or a normal 450?
I have an option on a 450SLC sans interior for ZAR10 000 and was thinking about turning it into this. (yeah, yeah, right! Between the 6.3 Racing replica, the 600 restoration, the racing Finnie, blah, blah, blah....Deliver me from this evil!!!!!!!!!)

"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Nutz

That there is a 1977 Mercedes 450SC Mampe DTM car, a predecessor to today's CLK-DTM and things of that nature.  It was powered by an AMG-massaged M117 motor and was also produced by BBurago as a die-cast model in 1/24th scale in three marking versions.  One was the Mampe version as pictured, another was a white Roneo/Alcatel sponsored car and lastly there was also a metal kit with Warsteiner markings.  The built model was #0165, while the kit was #5165.

Des

That is one of the Le Mans AMG Group 2 racing 450SLCs

You should get your hands on the AMG history book - AMG, Reaching for the Stars.

Des

Another car just might tip the scales, as per Grant's signature..

>:(

Des

The 450 SLC AMG factory supported Group 2 (tarmac) racing car which competed in 1978 and carried racing number 78. It has a tweaked 5 litre engine putting out a fantastic 300 bhp.

Brian Crump

On the MB Australia (NSW) forum there is a fellow called Greg who has an interest and considerable knowledge of these. He also has a very smart 450SLC 5litre. He is easy to fond if you look in the Articles section as he about the only person who writes any. He is also a good fellow. Just a thought if you are after further info about them.
11 is a lucky number in China. Sufficient reason to Go For It!
BC

gregdeklerk

Grant, where do you keep all the cars?

Grant V

One is at my factory, two are at home and the rest are at my Dad's place....

Guys, thanks for the leads - I'll follow up. I'm going to get onto Amazon which is never a clever move with credit card in hand!

And Michel, is there a cure, or a pill I can take?
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Nutz

Quote from: Grant V on 23 March 2007, 04:21 AM

And Michel, is there a cure, or a pill I can take?

No,I've been there  ::)

gregdeklerk

Danny Berry

oscar

You have my moral support GrantV, go for it.

And I second Brian's comments as this particular Greg has researched the SLC's and could help somewhat with info should you chose to take it on.  Here's one of his articles
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Grant, buy that 6.9 engine off the plot in midrand and pop it in there, a few tricks and you have 400hp....

My dream would be a rally spec 450SLC 5.0 painted for Hannu Mikkola...  But my wife says I have too many projects already.

I need to investigate 'off-site' storage - you know another place to keep cars where they can come and go without questions being asked.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

I think there is a lot of truth in that Michel.  Two years ago when I wanted an R107, I first bought her the Opel (new) she wanted, and then she had no problem with the 107.  Even a year afterwards she was sufficiently happy with the Opel that I bought the W140 without much trouble.  BUT now I've run out of brownie points and getting a 6.9 or any other car for that matter first requires stockpiling a lot more brownie points.  I think this time I will have to send her to the USA to visit an old school friend.  At least that's cheaper than a new car.  

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Nutz