News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Amateurs guide to a restoration project

Started by ptashek, 20 March 2016, 07:16 PM

daantjie

On the subject of paint jobs, what would you guys say is a fair price for a decent respray?  I know it is a bit of tough one, just need a ballpark.  Are we talking $10K USD and up?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

orientrot

Quote from: daantjie on 29 April 2016, 09:49 PM
On the subject of paint jobs, what would you guys say is a fair price for a decent respray?  I know it is a bit of tough one, just need a ballpark.  Are we talking $10K USD and up?
In a similar strain, how much was just the paint itself? My car is oriental red (orientrot) which seems to be a relatively rare color. The only place I have been able to find it was the Spies Hecker website as most of the websites that offer Mercedes colors do not have it.
75 450SEL
80 300SD- cancelled project
83 300D- 5-speed OM617
84 300D- AMG 5.4L N/A M113 6 speed
92 300D- 722.6 OM603 3.5
93 190E 2.6 Sportline LE x2- 6-speed M111 turbo, 3.0 M103
02 C320 Wagon
03 Sprinter 2500
06 E500 4Matic Wagon- AMG 5.4L NA M113

ptashek

Labour is where this will bite like a rabid dog.

If you want a bare chassis respray, account for 500+ man-hours for disassembly, paint-prep,  paint job and re-assembly. Materials are hard to judge, but account for 10% of total.

With just a glass-out respray it should be much less labour wise.

In terms of actual cost, Aaron would have a much better idea of the North American market.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rumb

When I restored my Pontiac TransAm, I did all the parts removal, body work, primer and sanding to 600 grit, and my painter charged $2000 for materials and labor to base/clearcoat. I put a lot of hours  in to get it ready for him.

My MG Midget, I painted myself and just paint was $5-600. and that is a tiny car.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

When I was thinking of having the 450 done professionally I was quoted "about" £3500 ($5113 or Euro 4667) for a bare metal job so I thought how hard can it be? Well I am learning - slowly.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

midnitesunmerc

Quote from: UTn_boy on 29 April 2016, 09:25 PM
Then you're one of the very few that understands why unrealistic budgets are a deal breaker.  I suppose many owners in the U.S. are used to the costs involved in restoring an old American car, but as of late even American cars are getting horribly expensive to restore.   

In the end, it doesn't matter if you want a 280S or a 6.9.  Buy the best example you can afford/find.  Generally, the more you pay into the initial investment the better off you'll be in the long run.  As cliche` as it is, I cannot stress enough the saying "there is nothing in this world more expensive than an inexpensively bought Mercedes".  If you pay $600 for a W116, then there are many reasons is was so cheap.....bad reasons. 

At this point in time, just a paint job alone will exceed the value of a W116 in most regions.  So when a restoration on a W116 is in the plans, have no expectations of "flipping" the car when finished, and be comfortable with knowing that you'll have much more in the car than it's worth.  The experience is much more enjoyable this way.  :)

Spot on advice here, and this is the way I ended up approaching my own 116 ownership.
I'd purchased an old 280SE that had been sitting for years and even though I knew it was basically a POS, I figured I'd just spend enough to get it running and see how it drove as I had always been fascinated by these cars; well, it didn't take long to realize that the car was beyond hope as even an occasional driver and I abandoned that hope. What to do with it now? I realized it would make a great parts car so I resolved to find a good example and use this one for my backup and that's exactly what I did. I scoured the internet and found a lovely, well advertised example in California and watched the ad for about six weeks until the price came down to what I thought was reasonable and then made my offer, which was accepted. I don't even own a garage so I needed something that was very solid and original and basically needed nothing - also I was  faced with a 3500 mile drive home which thankfully went just fine. My car isn't perfect but isn't far off that condition; it still wears its original paint well and will last forever as an occasional summer driver with a minimum of care and maintenance.

1977 280SE Colorado Gold
1979 280SE Euro model (parts only)