News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

70 300SEL 6.3 Restoration

Started by jbrasile, 07 June 2011, 10:06 PM

jbrasile

Hi Guys,

No news for a while but work continues on the 6.3.

Outside rear view mirror installed as well as the chrome moldings on the doors, sill strips, A-pillar covers, tail lights, trunk handle and 300SEL emblem.

Underneath all clips for fuel, brake and suspension piping have been zinc plated along with the fuel pump support. I have re-checked the position of all plumbing making sure are rubber pads are correctly installed and that the tubes run as neatly as possible.

If all goes well we are hanging the rear suspension tomorrow.

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

Tks,

Joe

jbrasile

More news today...

Rear  suspension has been lifted into place! Actually the car was lowered on to it...

Very delicate operation since the whole assembly weighs a  lot, so we were able to put it on a cart, position under the car and gently lower the body onto the rear axle. Tomorrow the new shocks will go in and will tighten everything up.

Found out today that we are going to need new front airbags, this car sat for quite a while and even though the front bellows look new,they have some nasty cracks probably from being compressed for so long.

Here are some pictures of today's "operation"

Enjoy!

Tks,

Joe

Big_Richard

In my lifetime i have never and will never see one of these vehicles asif they just rolled off the showroom floor. I think this is the closest im going to get  8)

calvin streeting

a thing of beauty..  8) well done.

koan

Does look nice under there!

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1980sdga

Very nice!  I'd like to know more about the rear suspension...

TJ 450

I love it!

In my limited knowledge of the W109, it looks very true to the original factory appearance under there.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

samuli

Amazing!!! This will probably be better than it was fresh from Mercedes... ;D

Big_Richard

there seems to be a mans face installed on that rear suspension, is that a factory feature ?

jbrasile

Thanks guys!!

And TJ,  that is exactly what I am shooting for, not an overly restored undercarriage. You will notice that the plumbing is clean but not spotless and the floor has slight defects in the undercoating, so do the airbag chambers. Even though we plated, painted and cleaned everything this is not a Concours restoration by any means, the car will be driven and used on a regular basis.

Tom, the face was not factory installed..... it's the poor guy doing all the heavy lifting and climbing into the trunk to tighten the center support with the car 6  feet in the air, hehehe....

Tks again for all the compliments.

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

Beautiful Joe - as always - amazing to see it coming together all shiney !

alabbasi

Quote from: jbrasile on 07 June 2011, 10:06 PM
Hi guys,

Since the 108/109 Forum is not exactly "on fire" I thought I'd post this subject here for everyone to enjoy, comment, etc....

I blame that on the guy who runs it. I know him personally and he's all looks and no brains.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

koan

Quote from: alabbasi on 28 October 2011, 08:27 AM
I blame that on the guy who runs it. I know him personally and he's all looks and no brains.

And fortunately a sense of humour!

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

carl888

That's beautiful Joe, and lovely to see a period colour.  It's interesting how few 108/109 models one sees on the roads, in Melbourne at least.  Thanks for posting the pics.  Solid rear discs would make that car 1970 or earlier I think?

Is that a W201 2.5 race car I see in the background?

jbrasile

Carl,

Tks for your comments. The car is a 1970 and yes the yellow car is a 190E racer owned by the dealership's principal. He also has a 190E with a 560 drive train that looks bone stock and is supposed to be a blast to drive.... he owes me a ride in it, hehehe....

Joe